Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM  (Read 8194 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 12:41:47 am »

I've installed this, but never played it. If I ever have to spend months with no other responsibilities this and getting back into DF are my two goals.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

bluth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 03:35:24 am »

Alright, we have a full 5 players (including myself). So what I'll need now is what House everyone wants, and the settings they would like to have. My personal preference is Rebellion and Plague on, with Universal Warehouse off.

The settings are perfect for me.

I'm up for Hazat or Decados.

I have to say that I also don't know how to play the game. I've watched LP and read a lot about it when I wanted to do the same thing that you just did but I never completed a full game.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 08:10:18 am »

Yeah sorry, I don't have time for a second game of this (already playing in another LP of EotFS). I was just posting my thoughts on the coolness factor of an EotFS/Traveller crossover.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 08:28:44 am »

To the new players, a word of advice:

What you absolutely need to know if you've never played an EoFS PBEM game, is that it is a major commitment in terms of the duration of the game. The realism mod supposedly cuts it down a bit by promoting player interactions from the get go, with less of exploration and expansion to take up time.

Nevertheless, you should ask yourself if you can see yourself still playing this game six months in the future. Be honest with yourself.

The way the MP works here, with turns handed over to the next player, means that a single turn can take a lot longer than in e.g., Dominions or any other game with simultaneous turn resolution. The long waiting time can extinguish the fighting spirit and promote procrastination, which in turn extends the waiting time for the other players, who lose interest and the game dies a slow death.

Furthermore, I'm not sure to what extent did the realism mod manage to fix this, but in Nova and in vanilla the end game becomes a micromanagement hell, with easily half an hour+ needed to process a single turn.

Also, E.Albright is a calculating bastard. Watch out for him and don't believe his lies.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:31:48 am by Il Palazzo »

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 08:43:39 am »

If you end up needing another player I can play this with you.

I dont want to be deliberately negative here - I hope you all have a good game. But having played PBEM for many a year:
Do all these new players know how slow this game will be? And how awkward the UI is etc. The turns are pass-the-turn right? (its been a while since I picked this up, never actually played MP on it either). So its not even simultaneous turns right?

Hellhound, why dont you just email everyone a password you make up at the start to use. That way there is no worry of temptation to sneak a peek, but no worry about cheating.

Edit:
What Palazzo said sums it up. My own experience with this game single player, is one of awesome setting and style but ultimately so flawed in management I give up. You all should try a game of single player IMO first.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:48:28 am by Crowe~ »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 03:57:35 pm »

EDIT: Darn, wrong forum. I'll pm a mod to get this move to the "play with your buddies" subsection.

Incidentally, as thread creator, you can move it. Bottom left side of the bottom of the page.

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 06:25:02 pm »

If you end up needing another player I can play this with you.

I dont want to be deliberately negative here - I hope you all have a good game. But having played PBEM for many a year:
Do all these new players know how slow this game will be? And how awkward the UI is etc. The turns are pass-the-turn right? (its been a while since I picked this up, never actually played MP on it either). So its not even simultaneous turns right?

Hellhound, why dont you just email everyone a password you make up at the start to use. That way there is no worry of temptation to sneak a peek, but no worry about cheating.

Edit:
What Palazzo said sums it up. My own experience with this game single player, is one of awesome setting and style but ultimately so flawed in management I give up. You all should try a game of single player IMO first.

If RedKing isn't interested we actually do need another player, and it would be nice to have a vet in a group of so many new players.

So we currently have...

HellHound - Li Halan
E. Albright - Al-Malik
Girlinhat - Hazat
Bluth - Decados

And if Crowe joins that would leave Hawkwood as the last open house (unless anyone want to switch with him).

With the players locked down, and settings decided on I'll take the first turn and email the Hazat player (Girlinhat) with the save file. I'll be sure and post once my turn is finished so we can hopefully keep the game moving at a decent pace.

EDIT: If anyone else is interested in joining you can simply post here and I'll PM you should we get an open spot.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 06:27:02 pm »

i noticed i'm not listed, good. I was coming to say, that, well, it's a bit confusing for me to dive into multiplayer jsut yet

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 06:54:28 pm »

i noticed i'm not listed, good. I was coming to say, that, well, it's a bit confusing for me to dive into multiplayer jsut yet

You can be first on the "jump in" line if you would like.

Also turn finished and sent to Girlinhat.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 07:35:09 pm »

I... have no idea what to do ._.

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 08:58:38 pm »

I... have no idea what to do ._.

:P

I'm assuming with getting the attachment to load?

First copy the save game I emailed, then go to your Emperor of the Fading Suns file, and then go to your save game file. Paste the game in the save file, exit out and start the program.

On the main menu if you hit load, the game should come up.

Be sure you change the maintenance cost of Conscripts. Its very simple, just go to the DAT file, open it, then go to Unit.dat and open it with any word editor (I use notepad, which comes on every computer), scroll down to the Conscript Levy, and change its "per turn" cost from 15 to 5.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 09:27:14 pm »

I mean I have no idea where to get this game or how to obtain documentation...

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 09:54:20 pm »

I mean I have no idea where to get this game or how to obtain documentation...

Link to the game and the needed mods is in the OP, also here...

https://sites.google.com/site/emperorwarsfadingsuns/home/emperor-of-the-fading-suns-emperor-wars---reality-mod---downlao

bluth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 04:28:56 am »

Ok I didn't realize the game already started

Just saying but  wouldn't it be easier if we used drobpox to share the turn ?

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 08:04:26 am »

Ok I didn't realize the game already started

Just saying but  wouldn't it be easier if we used drobpox to share the turn ?

We could do that if people like.
Pages: 1 [2] 3