Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM  (Read 8195 times)

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 09:29:43 am »

And if Crowe joins that would leave Hawkwood as the last open house (unless anyone want to switch with him).

You said you already had a full house so didnt expect to be called up right away.
Ive reinstalled the game and got that mod and been having a look. I have to admit it really seems to throw you in the deep end from the go, I played Nova only before, its been years but all I remember is starting off small and having a chance to organize etc. This starts off with heaps of units and multiple planets - its a bit too much for my liking.

I going to have a go today and try and get into it, but you better cross me off the list for now. I should have had a good look first, sorry.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:32:30 am by Crowe~ »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 05:12:00 pm »

Welp, the game crashes on start, and there's way too much involved here that isn't explained to new people.  You listed the house rules, but I have no context to put that in because I've never played, and for a game as intricate as this to know new people are gonna play, then I think you're gonna have to put in a bit of effort into telling us how to do things.  You can't just drop a .sav file and say "go".

So cross me off, this is too deep for me and no one taught me how to swim.

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 01:42:02 pm »

Welp, the game crashes on start, and there's way too much involved here that isn't explained to new people.  You listed the house rules, but I have no context to put that in because I've never played, and for a game as intricate as this to know new people are gonna play, then I think you're gonna have to put in a bit of effort into telling us how to do things.  You can't just drop a .sav file and say "go".

So cross me off, this is too deep for me and no one taught me how to swim.

Sorry to hear that, I don't really know how you would like me to explain it. There are plenty of resources online for both the basics of play, and possible strategy. As for why it crashes for you I've no idea.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 03:55:18 pm »

I had Reality (though not the base game) crash on me a lot when I first tried it on a modern machine/OS. IIRC, it invariably happened when I used the historical map (although I may not RC and it could have been random maps) and intermittently when I used random (although etc.). There's definitely some issues with it and modern technology (and/or just straight-up with 64-bit systems).

For that matter, I'm still struggling to get it to work properly - I had it working a couple of months ago, but have since "upgraded" from Win7 to Win8 on a new machine following a meltdown, and it seems markedly less inclined to run at all. I'll probably try once more before throwing in the towel, but it's not looking good for me, either.

--

Girlinhat - even if you're disinclined to play the MP as it would indeed amount to being thrown into the ocean with a couple hundred kilos of random unlabeled and unassembled gear strapped to your back, I'd say you might get some passing enjoyment out of trying the base game, which in my prior experience is stable. It's also a lot more beginner-friendly as the tech trees are flatter and you start off much more slowly and with fewer resources. Frankly, I'd not recommend any extent EFS mod to learn the game on - the base game (with the limited tutorials it offers) plus the dumb, barely-effectual AI is a much better companion for your first foray than the convoluted mess that is pretty much every rebalancing mod out there.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:01:07 pm by E. Albright »

HellHound01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 03:58:57 am »

I had Reality (though not the base game) crash on me a lot when I first tried it on a modern machine/OS. IIRC, it invariably happened when I used the historical map (although I may not RC and it could have been random maps) and intermittently when I used random (although etc.). There's definitely some issues with it and modern technology (and/or just straight-up with 64-bit systems).

For that matter, I'm still struggling to get it to work properly - I had it working a couple of months ago, but have since "upgraded" from Win7 to Win8 on a new machine following a meltdown, and it seems markedly less inclined to run at all. I'll probably try once more before throwing in the towel, but it's not looking good for me, either.

I'm running it with windows 8.1, and with the exception of some resolution problems it seems pretty stable.

bluth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 02:32:37 pm »

The project is dead ?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2020, 03:04:56 pm »

Necro and not even a 100% on-topic necro, but... anyone pick EFS up since GoG released it? If so, how stable is that version on a modern OS?

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2020, 09:11:51 am »

Necro and not even a 100% on-topic necro, but... anyone pick EFS up since GoG released it? If so, how stable is that version on a modern OS?

Cool! I didn't know they released it on GOG. Will have to take a look.

Seems there are a number of crashes related to display resolution. Most seem to be able to get around it with a few tweaks though: https://www.gog.com/forum/emperor_of_the_fading_suns/crashing_30_seconds_into_the_game

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2020, 03:59:54 pm »

I picked it up on GOG yesterday and haven't had any problems with crashing, although pretty much all I've done so far is click around and read the gigantic ass in-game lorebook. I'm running it on Windows 10 if that makes any difference.

Edit: does anyone know if the mods linked in this thread are still around/have safe downloads? I'm a bit wary of clicking on 5 year old links.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 04:02:17 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2022, 10:44:28 am »

*Dusts off the old topic*

Ah, well it seems that Emperor of the Fading Suns has received... an update!

The new version is known as Emperor of the Fading Suns Enhanced
https://www.gog.com/en/game/emperor_of_the_fading_suns

Emperor of the Fading Suns has continued to inspire players not just because of the game itself, but because of the many great mods fans made for the game. The focus of the 1.5 patch is to greatly enhance modding capabilities. Expect many more great mods for the game.

One of the most dramatic changes is one of the least seen. The game was initially built using the Watcom development environment, and one of the first things we had to do was migrate it to Visual Studio. Additionally, the 1.5 patch adds:

Significantly enhanced and added significant modding capabilities. This allows modders to add dramatically more units, technologies, and worlds, and even change game facets like excommunication, sect abilities, ruins, and much more;
Significant enhancements to the map editor;
Enhanced role of religious sects, impacting your unit abilities and population loyalties;
Enhanced player information on unit and city screens;
Added House strength as a factor in diplomacy;
Streamlined some interface elements; and
Fixed a wide variety of bugs.

You can find the full changelog here https://items.gog.com/emperor_of_the_fading_suns/emperor_of_the_fading_suns_changelog.pdf.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2022, 11:21:39 am »

ah so that was the big announcement from the developer he kept hinting about.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2022, 03:54:32 pm »

I hate to say it, but the EotFS UI has not aged gracefully now that I have a better UI on a similar game (Shadow Empire) to compare it to. I started a new game with the changes, and they're nice and all, but the game feels so clunky I stopped less than 20 turns in and haven't picked it back up since then.
Pages: 1 2 [3]