Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Day 13: Unlucky For Some - SCUM B TEAM WIN  (Read 99427 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

CHOOSE-YOUR-OWN-MAFIAS

Choose Your Own Mafias is a sequel to Choose Your Own Masquerade. It's a mafia game in which points which can be spent on powers. It has the following features:

Character Creation You get to build your own power-set and can even buy and sell new powers with experience points earned throughout the game.

Two Mafias/Choose-Your-Own-Third-Party Numbers permitting, there will be either two mafia teams, third parties, or (most likely) both.

Deep South There's no night, actions happen when they're sent in, but may be queued up in advance.

Masquerade Each player is assigned a mask colour at the beginning of the game, and they only know the colour of their own mask and what other mask colours there are in play. Powers can only be targeted at masks, not players. Votes still target players.

Civilians There are npc masks in play at the start of the game. They each have a random power and auto but won't act on their own volition as per the rules for Patsies.

Point Frenzy Unlike previous games, players start with ten points at character creation.

At the beginning of the game, each player is allotted an alignment (either town or scum or third party), and a mask colour (red, purple etc.), and has ten points to spend on powers. They can also take up to -5 points in flaws. The mafia don't get a mafiakill by default, but they do have a chat in which they can discuss (among other things) how they'll build their powers. Character Creation will last 24 hours or until everyone has sent in a build, whichever happens first.

A scum team can't collectively kill more than one target in a phase (poisoning, infecting, killing, copying kills and booby-trapping all count as killing, secondary infections and explosions don't count). They may target multiple kills but only one will succeed. A player can only use one power per day, unless they have an auto that says otherwise. If a player targets themselves with a non-self targeting power, it will fail. Actions that would fail still happen, so may be affected by tracking, reflecting, networker etc.

Kills won't be processed for the first 24 hours of each Day, to allow everyone a chance to see the thread and send in an action.

After the lynch the day resets and every player gets 1 point for surviving the day. Once per day, a player can Shop: when shopping they can buy off any flaws they have, cash in any power for half its original cost rounded down and buy new powers. A power can't be sold if it's been used that day, but players can queue up buying and selling to happen as soon as the new day starts (so they're not hanging around with unspent points). While you can have duplicates of a power, you can't sell the same named power more than once in a day (e.g. you have two copies of Protect, you can only sell one of them in a day, even if you have Duplicate).

Spoiler: Mafia Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Masquerade Power List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Alignments (click to show/hide)

- Deathsword
- 4maskwolf
- Peradon
- Shakerag
- Varee
- origamiscienceguy
- Flabort
- Hector13
- Tiruin
- TheDarkStar
- Deus Asmoth
- Persus13 Cheeetar

Replacements
- Cheeetar
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:36:36 pm by notquitethere »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Sign Up!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 11:09:38 am »

Additional Info

Before the game starts, I might rebalance some point costs or 3rd party wincons. If you have any concerns, voice them. If anyone has a truly broken combo that they don't want to publicly share, then PM me.

Advice on character building: if your strategy relies on using a specific power, make that power innate to avoid it being stolen.

As the list is very long, here's the powers listed under thematic categories:

Spoiler: Powers by Function (click to show/hide)

If you're stuck for ideas, here's some character builds:

Spoiler: Example Builds (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:29:05 pm by notquitethere »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Sign Up!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:09:58 am »

In
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Sign Up! - 1/∞
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:20:47 am »

Goddamn it NQT, you were exactly right about mafia being irresistable to return to.

In, you magnificent bastard.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:21:47 am »

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist a CYOM.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:29:18 am »

I really want to in on this, but not sure I could handle a Mafia game right now.

Replacement, for when Deathsword inevitably replaces out and is Mafia.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 11:31:58 am »

Replacement, for when Deathsword inevitably replaces out and is Mafia.
I've been trying to change that pattern. Truth be told, I had that (quitting partway) for a lot of things in my life. Hopefully I sorted that out and will stick to stuff from now on.

Also, welcome back 4maskwolf.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 11:43:37 am »

You should probably remove deregulate from the list, NQT, since it does nothing nowadays.

Planning... plotting...

Thank you, Deathsword.  I dunno how long I'm gonna be back for, just due to the craziness of my life, but whatevs.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 11:52:08 am »

You should probably remove deregulate from the list, NQT, since it does nothing nowadays.
Removed, cheers.

I've put up a list of the powers organised by type in the second post, which might make things a bit easier for some players when building.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Sign Up! - 2/∞
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 11:55:53 am »

What happens if someone has Copycat and Blinkered? Does this mean the power is unusable?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 12:03:34 pm »

Yeah that's right. Blinkered means they're totally focused on one player at a time, making Copycat, Mask Swap, Chat, and Hypnotise unusable.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 12:27:29 pm »

Well, this looks fun. In.

Would this be considered a bastard game?
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:13 pm »

In.  Might as well give this a shot.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 12:32:54 pm »

Would this be considered a bastard game?
No, quite the opposite really. A bastard game is one where the mod doesn't tell the players all the rules. Here all the rules and possible combinations are know, but the exact roles and distribution are unknown (but discoverable).

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Sign Up! - 4/∞
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 01:12:20 pm »

In for this cyom too!
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74