Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Day 13: Unlucky For Some - SCUM B TEAM WIN  (Read 101349 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Day One - The Rain Falls Mainly On The Plain
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2015, 05:43:15 pm »

TheDarkStar: Interestingly enough, he released his build. Could have lied about it though.

I've claimed the things I got, but nothing else.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2015, 05:55:51 pm »

4mask might I inquire why my question on the booby-trap power garners a scum-read from yourself?

Had I asked about another specific power, would it receive the same response? If not, why?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2015, 06:21:42 pm »

4mask might I inquire why my question on the booby-trap power garners a scum-read from yourself?

Had I asked about another specific power, would it receive the same response? If not, why?
You asked about it in your first post of the game, without having mentioned it during signups as a "hey, this may be broken", which wouldn't be so bad except then made it seem like the power was a big deal overpowered ability when I asked you about it.  Your question was also about how it would affect our play, which seems oddly specific to ask if you don't have the ability.  In theory you could have brought my attention onto you by asking about another power, yes, but the killing powers are the ones that catch my attention the most, followed by what I call the rolefuckery powers (power swap, power steal, curse, and similar).

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2015, 06:23:46 pm »

EBWOP: Preview, not post, damn it.  Also, my read on you was neutral, with the slight scum read from that balanced out by a slight town read on your play since then.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2015, 06:43:50 pm »

I think it's a big deal OP ability precisely because it's a kill ability, and because it could conceivably kill every player in the game with one use (though incredibly unlikely, I know) so wanted to make sure that people were aware of it, had they not realised this before the game started.

That's part of the reason I asked about it in my first post. The rest of the reason being RVS is an area of the game I'm hugely uncomfortable with, not knowing what are good questions to ask because of... nothing to really base the questions from. Thus, I thought I would ask about a significant aspect of this game (from my perspective) to see if anyone thought the same.

The overwhelming response appears to be "No, wtf?" though, so perhaps my initial paranoia about it is misplaced.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2015, 06:50:40 pm »

Is Boobytrap an inherently anti-town power?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2015, 06:51:25 pm »

EBWOP:

Should town ever use it, considering that it's far more likely that it will kill someone in the town?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2015, 06:57:03 pm »

Is that an open question? Because from what I can see, booby trapping kill powers would be helpful from the town since there's a pretty good chance that a scum player would use one of them.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2015, 06:58:16 pm »

I wouldn't say it's inherently anti-town, but it's a risky one to use as town, given the lack of information on what the other players have as powers.

Doesn't mean people haven't taken it though, and it doesn't mean the town haven't all decided to create a Liberal Vigilante Squad.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2015, 07:02:21 pm »

Should town ever use it, considering that it's far more likely that it will kill someone in the town?
Meh?

I'm rather ambivalent about the issue, to be honest.  If the self auto didn't exist, then no, it would absolutely not be anti-town.  Scum teams tend to work together to synergize their powers, leading to things like bless, santa, and cleanse targeting the scumteam.  However, it is just as likely, with the self auto in place, to nuke a townie who was trying to build themselves up.  And the obvious scum powers, like gossip (which no townie should take outside of some batshit insane gambit, because the only possible town use for it I asked NQT about and it was shot down), are too weak to actually be used by the scumteam under normal conditions.

Is that an open question? Because from what I can see, booby trapping kill powers would be helpful from the town since there's a pretty good chance that a scum player would use one of them.
My experience in the game has lead me to see that more players tend to take kill as town than as scum, since we always seem to have at least one or two vigilantes from the start of the game.  Which, just FYI, is a horrible build in this setup, particularly with the masquerade aspect.

I wouldn't say it's inherently anti-town, but it's a risky one to use as town, given the lack of information on what the other players have as powers.

Doesn't mean people haven't taken it though, and it doesn't mean the town haven't all decided to create a Liberal Vigilante Squad.
Hehehe Liberal Vigilante Squad.  I'm going to make LVS Mafia now (not liberal crime squad, liberal vigilante squad).
On a more serious note, isn't any offensive or support build risky as town?  You could always aid a scum or screw a townie, after all.  It's a matter of personal preference about acceptable risk.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2015, 07:14:22 pm »

"Shouldn't we think about hanging someone?" asks one of the monks, nervously. The others look at their feet, their silence speaking volumes.

"Wh-what's the hurry?"

Deathsword -
4maskwolf
Peradon [2] - Deathsword, 4maskwolf
Shakerag
Varee
origamiscienceguy
Flabort
Hector13
Tiruin
TheDarkStar [1] - Hector13
Deus Asmoth
Persus13

Hammer at 7 votes. Day ends in something like 72 hours. Any kills will be processed in about 24 hours time.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2015, 08:16:20 pm »

Wolf :
Despite changeling being perhaps one of the most commonly used powers, you list it as one you believe will be underused.  Why?
As I already say, Changeling is one of those power people onyl use once, the target of a changeling is normally too afaird or too screw to use it again. I think it is underuse in term of it have potential to be use much more often than it have been.
Origami :
in your opinion, what is the most powerful power by itself
I beleieve GrandSwap is priced fairly as it pretty much screw up everyone....

Now for my case  .... I do this everytime and got shut down almost everytime but I still think it is a good idea.
I think we shouldnt lynch anyone. As we have seen, by having more town than scum, the town is getting more powerful faster and by lynching someone it is garantee killing. Even the scum kill is not granatee to kill someone, assuming there 3 scum, the kill is only 60-70% a kill as there 4 random mask out there. So a scum kill is not as powerful as it sound. True that infection might create a big chain reaction but still it is not a garantee kill. By lynching a name, it is a garantee that someone will die and it is likely that this will benefit the scum more than the town. With the mask system in place, it is hard to target a certain people with a power. Also there might be doctor or other thrid party out there that is trying to help people/ protect people.

On the other note, with the handing out of power, people with flexible can by a free self clense/protect tmr and it might be useful to use the free point to protect yourself.
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2015, 08:24:07 pm »

When I asked about a no-lynch (I think it makes sense too) I was told that it is one of the worst ideas possible.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2015, 08:34:24 pm »

Here's the problem with your plan, Varee:
It buys the scum time too.

You see, that gives the scum time to use information-gathering powers to figure out the town's strengths and weaknesses, then eliminate town players one by one.

I'd rather take out the scum quickly, put pressure on them, make them panic.  Because as long as the town lies dormant, the scum will lie dormant too, picking us off when they are sure to get away with it.  I'd personally much rather put pressure on them, force them to act, than sit back and do nothing.

I may also be biased because my role isn't built to become stronger, but whatevs.

NQT: I can't believe I didn't think to ask you yet, but is there one scumteam or two?  That could make a huge difference in the game.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2015, 08:46:14 pm »

But, waiting gives the town more time to use information-gathering too.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74