Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 74

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Day 13: Unlucky For Some - SCUM B TEAM WIN  (Read 99732 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Day One - Pixie Peril!
« Reply #315 on: February 25, 2015, 07:02:33 pm »

Do you have time to post now? I'd like to see your reads list.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 25, 2015, 07:29:05 pm »

I didnt realise that the extend worked differently...
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafias - Day One - The Rain Falls Mainly On The Plain
« Reply #317 on: February 25, 2015, 08:16:20 pm »

Do you have time to post now? I'd like to see your reads list.
In my last post I said I was working on a big post and it would be up soon. I think that answers your question. And I won't be providing a reads because there just isn't enough information to make one. Half or more of everyone else's reads are null read and mine would be even worse.

Made it to page 12 in this post, with a few things beyond that. Part 2 coming today or tomorrow.

Persus13: This is your first time being able to actually build your own role!  Give a sentence or two of advice to the newer players, preferrably involving the new mechanics.
My guess is there will be a lot of trigger happy killings. Please don't. Always reassess your viewpoint. Thinking of someone as scum or town can really blindside you to the actual scumteam. This may seem contradictory, but don't be afraid to stand your ground against pressure from people, even if you think they're town or are more experienced. Finally, go after people for actual things, not stuff you think could make them scummy.

TheDarkStar: You were a vigilante in Choose-Your-Own-Mafia and shot at least one of the scum players.  Do you believe that town vigilantes should shoot indiscriminately or hold their fire until they are sure?  Does that unknown factor of the masks change your decision on that?

Vigilantes should hold their fire even more than usual. If they can link a mask and a player who would be a good target, they could act, but random firing is more likely to kill a town-aligned person.

Note that this is only true if it's not a shoot-or-lose situation.
I'd like to add to this that when people inevitably reveal their masks, vigs should still be very careful about who they shoot. Don't shoot a lynch leader right before day ends, and be ready to have your reasoning on why you shot at hand.

4mask:
It seems a bit pointless to tie myself in knots over something I can't influence at all, so I'll be trying to ignore it.
There is an auto which allows you to ignore it, actually.  I believe it's called "cautious".
Why wouldn't you look this up in the OP if you responded to this to be sure?

TheDarkStar: Hasn't really said much, honestly.  Seems to only respond when prodded by someone else, minus his first post of that game.  Neutral/slight scum.
Have you seen a game where TDS hasn't been like this?

OSG, why do keep dodging the question? "It depends" is a meaningless phrase and avoids telling the town anything useful.
I know this isn't directed towards me, but...

Are you really saying you think there is one universally good power for the town to take?  Like, really?  In this game, with all it's possible combinations?
Except Peradon didn't say that. He asked what "you" (meaning everyone) thought was the best town power. Not what is the best town power, but what a person thought was the best town power. There is a distinct difference.

You, sir, are honest-to-goodness the lazziest scum I have ever met.  Every part of that vote smacks of jumping on an easy attack, and the fact that you've made a lot of posts without anything major  in them speaks of active-lurking.

TDS
Active-lurking generally requires a period longer than 24 hours after the day starts on a weekend.

Hector13:
Hector13: Why ask us about that specific power?

It's the most OP power in the game. You get killed for being active, using your powers, not because someone targeted you specifically for DEATH!

I would also just like to bring it to everyone's attention, in case they forgot about it or something. We need to be a bit more careful with our actions, because (as far as I can tell from the rules) it's only the scum who are limited to one kill with the booby-trap power.
If you're so worried about it, grab cautious. Booby-trap seems pretty anti-town, and booby-trapping kill seems like a bad idea for scum or an SK as they might need to use it to kill of the survivors, and a completely bad idea for town, because it would kill more townies then scum in all likelihood.

TDS:
4mask: I mean people with a town wincon.
I was referring to when you said "I'll play a much more town-oriented game".

Oops, I though you were referring to my vigilante-related comment about town-aligned people.

Anyway, playing a town-oriented game means actively trying to find ways to help the town win and scumhunting.
The problem with this is that you're making it sound like you aren't town. Even the answer to the question you were originally asked about being town-oriented makes it sound like you aren't town but trying to be town.

OSG, why do keep dodging the question? "It depends" is a meaningless phrase and avoids telling the town anything useful.
He dodged the question once, the first time was a pretty legitimate question.

Flabort:
Everyone Who would you most want, of the players in this game, to be on a scum team with you and why?
You and whoever Cheeetar will replace.

There might be multiple right answers, but you gave no answer.
But the question you asked, below, includes the words "the" and "most", implying that there only is one answer, not multiple right answers.
Very well then, how about the most useful town power?
Furthermore, he did answer. Paraphrasing, he said "This is a trick question, so the answer is all of them". Which is an answer, it's just not one you liked. Which makes your entire statement false.
Except he didn't answer, he said this:
What kind of town player are you trying to be? A cop? A vigilante? A doctor? A Coward? I am saying that the powers are more appealing to different play styles.
Nowhere in there does it say its a trick question.

Most Scum
The Dark Star: Man, I don't know how you managed to top the charts of so many people. My own reason for finding you scummy is first he leads us to believe he got changeling'd and lost his original powerscitation, but then took it back citation.
Except TDS never said he got changeling'd, just that he got two copies of changeling. Does the fact that everyone finds TDS scummy alarm you at all?

Peradon
Peradon What flaws could you consider to be un-town-like? What flaws are basic gimmes for town?
Well, I'm not sure. Looking back, pretty much all of the -2's are anti-town, but pretty much all of them are anti-town anyway. But blatant is fairly safe I think, maybe broadcaster too.
Why would you consider most of the -2 flaws to be anti-town, especially considering in previous games town players have taken almost all of those flaws?

Everyone Who would you most want, of the players in this game, to be on a scum team with you and why?
Well, if I were scum, Hector, definately. But I'm not scum, so this doesnt really apply to me....
Why does this not apply to you if you weren't scum? WHy would it apply to you if you were scum?

Well, if I were scum, Hector, definately. But I'm not scum, so this doesnt really apply to me....
Why are you so focused on making sure to indirectly tell everyone how much you are not scum?
Uh, I'm not. I put the if in there because I didnt want to say I'm scum.
You didn't want to say you were scum? Where does it say scum pick their scumteam? Why did you think the question assumed you were scum?

Peradon, shift attention to who? And what attention am I trying to shift, exactly?

Peradon, shift attention to who? And what attention am I trying to shift, exactly?
I dont know, I was hoping you would answer that for me. Why did you post a rediculous question like that? It does nothing to aid the town, and makes it look like you're trying to look like town(due to the making light of a situation).
RVS is probably the most silly time of Mafia, because the questions don't matter. Why did you have a problem with DA's question to OSG when similarly silly questions were asked earlier? (Also, OSG was a evil Japanese spy in a previous Mafia game)

Everyone:What do you think is the most usefull power?
This is rolefishing. The most useful power in my opinion is either bought or owned by me already, so this question is basically asking what roles do people have.

OSG:
Everybody in your opinion, what is the most powerful power by itself (no combos)
This is called rolefishing. I recommend not doing it.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 25, 2015, 08:49:47 pm »

Peradon]
Why would you consider most of the -2 flaws to be anti-town, especially considering in previous games town players have taken almost all of those flaws?
Because most of them are so dangerous that if you made a wrong move, you're dead. I dont see how having a dead town player helps the town.
Why does this not apply to you if you weren't scum? Why would it apply to you if you were scum?

You didn't want to say you were scum? Where does it say scum pick their scumteam? Why did you think the question assumed you were scum?
That post felt like a trap to get people to slip up. So, thats why I enphasised me not being scum, so that no one could catch me on that. Unfortunately, everyone seems to think I put too much emphasis on it. Which, looking back, I probably did.

Anyway, to your question. I wasnt thinking in those terms. I was too concerned with it being a trap. But now that you mention it, it wouldnt apply to scum or town.

RVS is probably the most silly time of Mafia, because the questions don't matter. Why did you have a problem with DA's question to OSG when similarly silly questions were asked earlier? (Also, OSG was a evil Japanese spy in a previous Mafia game)
As I said earlier, that was half RQS half serious concern. I chose that question because it struck me as having nothing to do with anything. I later unvoted DA because I realised that I did the same exact thing in my BM.

This is rolefishing. The most useful power in my opinion is either bought or owned by me already, so this question is basically asking what roles do people have.[/quote
It was a RQS question. I didnt have anything to say, so I resorted back to a random question. It was not my intent to rolefish.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 25, 2015, 09:30:11 pm »

Peradon]
Because most of them are so dangerous that if you made a wrong move, you're dead. I dont see how having a dead town player helps the town.
By that logic, most of them are anti-scum, because if they make a wrong move they're dead too. I don't see how having a dead scum player helps the scum; it certainly helps the town, though.

Yes, they can be risky, but I don't believe that any of them are inherently anti-town.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 25, 2015, 09:41:28 pm »

Peradon]
By that logic, most of them are anti-scum, because if they make a wrong move they're dead too. I don't see how having a dead scum player helps the scum; it certainly helps the town, though.

Yes, they can be risky, but I don't believe that any of them are inherently anti-town.
Fair enough. But I dont think taking those kind of risks is very beneficial.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 25, 2015, 10:07:02 pm »

If you want to be a powerful town player, such as a cop, the points required almost makes those flaws a necessity. The question is whether your abilities outweigh your vulnerabilities when you take the flaws.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 25, 2015, 10:08:36 pm »

The point of the flaws is that you take some kind of negative effect in return for gaining a better choice in other powers.

PPE: Ninja'd by OSG.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 25, 2015, 10:14:08 pm »

Yes I understand that. But those two-pointers are worse then the one-pointers. I, for instance took all one point flaws instead of a couple two point flaws, because I felt they would be too dangerous.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 25, 2015, 10:18:05 pm »

Yes I understand that. But those two-pointers are worse then the one-pointers. I, for instance took all one point flaws instead of a couple two point flaws, because I felt they would be too dangerous.
And I, by contrast, took two of the two-point flaws.  It's all a matter of personal choice and what risks you're willing to take.  To be entirely honest, this is the first game where I've started the game with the ability to vote.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 26, 2015, 08:40:39 am »

Right. Can I ask why people are getting such strong scum reads off TDS? This may be just because I'm trying to speed read back through the thread and catch up, but I don't think he's been acting all that scummy. Also, I started the game with a pair of two point flaws, one of which was being unable to vote. That may have been a bad idea.

flabort, I did get a copy of changeling, I just didn't say anything when Mask mentioned something happening because I was afraid the scum team were distributing powers to find out who was behind what mask.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 26, 2015, 08:43:28 am »

>_> Mmph
<_< Arghhh
Ok, net is stable. Will post soon. Sorry for my absence.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 26, 2015, 11:05:21 am »

flabort:
However, one thing that I can actually say is scummy and not part of his meta is tunneling.
Why do you believe that tunneling is scummy?  Why do you believe that tunneling is not part of my "meta"?

The Dark Star: Man, I don't know how you managed to top the charts of so many people.
Does this imply that you think everyone else who is saying TDS is the most scummy have poor reasons for saying so?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 26, 2015, 12:27:18 pm »

pfp@shakerag:
I believe tunnelling is scummy because I have been accused of being scum for tunnelling before.
I don'tncare if it's your meta or not. It's still scummy.
No, I'm not saying everyone else has poor reasons, I'm saying he's doing something really wrong if so many people are convinced he's scum.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 26, 2015, 01:07:16 pm »

It could also mean that the mafia are pushing a mislynch on me. Saying that I'm scum because everyone else thinks so isn't actually a case.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 74