Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: war boars  (Read 7863 times)

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: war boars
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 06:28:34 am »

It's a completely arbitrary classification that basically only serves to make me angry.
You wont like him when hes angry.
I understand the point hes coming from. For example. Ocarina of time should have had jumping in it, but im not going to mod it in because the original game isnt designed to have jumping so you could easily exploit it. If however it had been designed with jumping in mind then the alot of the gameplay design would compensate.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 08:00:21 am »

Ocarina of time should have had jumping in it, but im not going to mod it in because the original game isnt designed to have jumping so you could easily exploit it.
Oh, but it did. ;)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 03:35:58 pm »

It's a completely arbitrary classification that basically only serves to make me angry.
You wont like him when hes angry.
I understand the point hes coming from. For example. Ocarina of time should have had jumping in it, but im not going to mod it in because the original game isnt designed to have jumping so you could easily exploit it. If however it had been designed with jumping in mind then the alot of the gameplay design would compensate.

If you're suggesting it for inclusion when it's literally just adding a single tag to the raws, then you refuse to add that single tag out of some "no true modder" shit or something, it's not exactly reasonable.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 04:02:46 pm »

The fact that a creature is aggressive doesn't mean it is easily trained.  Kind of the opposite, really.  War boars are common enough in fantasy, but I don't think people have ever trained pigs that way in real life.

I think Toady was fairly conservative when it comes to the TRAINABLE tags, only allowing animals to be trainable if they have been trained by human cultures at some point...with a few exotic exceptions that he thought were suitably awesome...maybe.

Anyway, I'm all for a rebuilding of the animal training system.  Right now a it feels like a placeholder.  Animals already have personalities just like sapients, but only a few of their personality traits (such as VIOLENT or BRAVERY) actually do anything.  If we could get more of the emotion/bonding/personality systems making an impact on animal behavior and training, that would be great.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 04:04:19 pm »

Pliny the Elder mentions trained war pigs used against elephants (scared of the squealing apparently).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 2 [3]