Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: war boars  (Read 8034 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
war boars
« on: February 18, 2015, 06:23:00 pm »

Pigs can be trained, so why couldn't wild boars be as trainable as giant lions? They're smarter than dogs, more territorial, and can be much meaner. The reason we don't keep domesticated pigs as housepets is because as loyal as they can be, and even housetrained, they're much worse than dogs about taking out their frustration on the furniture. They grow bigger than a coffee table and will easily demolish it. Wooden doors will not hold them for very long. Because of their territoriality, they do make good guards, and if the snort of an angry pig doesn't completely freak out a would-be intruder, they can floor them with a charge and trample them. No joke, even domestic pigs will break bones.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: war boars
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:45:06 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token#T

Check out the trainable tags you can add them to pigs if you'd like under creature_domestic.txt .

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:16:22 pm »

If I were going to mod the game, I'd probably implement something more imaginative. Training a boar or pig isn't too far-fetched for the vanilla game. They already use them to sniff out truffles.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »

::)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:25:51 pm »

... you won't mod in trainable pigs because it's not "imaginative" enough?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:29:33 pm »

Erm...

Do you have a stigma against modding?  It's literally one line in the raw files, and it isn't really something Toady needs to do as a default.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:25:19 am »

Erm...

Do you have a stigma against modding?  It's literally one line in the raw files, and it isn't really something Toady needs to do as a default.

I disagree, for the new or inexperienced modder, editing things can be a pain in the arse. Besides, why should we have to mod in something perfectly commonsense.

We can train dragons, we can train dogs, we can train lots of things, but for some things, we shouldn't have to go and add a [TRAINABLE] tag into the raws ourselves. is training a pig too far fetched? then why can we train dragons? I think that a lot of animals that should have the tag, do not have it.

I've been looking for a modding project. Thanks to this thread, I now have something to do on an hour long bus trip, twice a day on weekdays.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 06:19:07 am »

In the same vein, I find it odd that you can't Horses for war (yknow, like a warhorse) and that you can't train crocodilians even though people do this in real life and they strike me as just as intelligent, or at least just as trainable, as big cats. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 06:30:42 am »

In the same vein, I find it odd that you can't Horses for war (yknow, like a warhorse)...
You mean as a combat mount, or literally an attack horse that charges an enemy on its own and kicks them to death? I think DF war training implies the latter.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 08:15:08 am »

In the same vein, I find it odd that you can't Horses for war (yknow, like a warhorse)...
You mean as a combat mount, or literally an attack horse that charges an enemy on its own and kicks them to death? I think DF war training implies the latter.

Well yeah, but you can train horses to do that.  I know zebras at least can be pretty vicious if they don't think they can run away.  They could be like Maximus from Tangled or the horse from Bravestarr. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 08:30:46 am »

This is one of the worst threads I've ever seen.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 09:50:28 am »

You guys are like Generals gathering in the masses
Dont be mean to the guy just like witches at black masses and evil minds that plot destruction.
Dont make me get the sorceror of deaths construction. We will be in the fields watching bodies burn as the war machine keeps turning,
Death and hatred to man kind, poisioning their brainwashed minds

Oh lord yeah this thread is freaking awsome.
Lets black sabbath up dwarf fortress. One war pig at a time...
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 12:12:11 pm »

I'd never modded a single thing in my damn life, and it was incredibly easy for me to just go into the raws and add two little tags and bam, trainable unicorns.  The only remotely difficult thing about it is finding the files in the first place.  It's literally just copypasta. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I ha to go shave my yaks.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 12:18:52 pm »

Oforfuck sake, what you're talking about isn't even modding. Those files are plain text, written in my native language. I do know how to push a few letters around. It's not like reverse-engineering the fucking binary.

If I were going to mod this game, I wouldn't be putting it into a suggestion thread.

I don't get why you guys find it so incredible that boars really are dangerous. There are parts of central Europe where they are still a hazard, and they'll tell you that even hunting them with a rifle is extremely risky. If you hear one, you'd better hope the nearest tree is sturdy enough that they can't barge it down.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:21:55 pm by Uzu Bash »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 12:25:46 pm »

Oforfuck sake, what you're talking about isn't even modding. Those files are plain text, written in my native language. I do know how to push a few letters around. It's not like reverse-engineering the fucking binary.

If I were going to mod this game, I wouldn't be putting it into a suggestion thread.
What I'm trying to say is that the suggestions forums are for things we want Toady to add to the game.  The individual player can make the war-whatever choice for themselves, it doesn't need to be implemented in "vanilla".

Basically, this doesn't really need to be on the suggestions list, because it can already be done with extreme ease by the player.

Also, watch what you're saying.  Modifying the plain text files IS DF modding.  Toady doesn't want people messing with his source code, so for the most part (DFHack and a few other utilities being the exceptions) all modding is done by adding new things to the raws, sometimes sorted into new raw files.
Pages: [1] 2 3