Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's Play Alpha Protocol, Mike Thornton edition  (Read 6612 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Alpha Protocol, Mike Thornton edition
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 10:17:31 am »

Well I think there was like... one mission that forces you into combat, outside bosses. I think it's the embassy one? Reasonably sure it's the same set of missions that you get the... slightly unhinged dude who works with you, and is upset if you don't talk to him first out of that set of missions.

It has been a really long time since I played though, so I can't quite remember.

The Russian mobster boss fight is probably one of my favourite boss fights of ever, if just because of the music.
Embassy mission is in Russia, the guy in question is in Taipei. Speaking of, Heck's the best way to deal with Brayko (the mobster) as a non-combat heavy character; if he likes you, you can pay a bit of cash to make the fight MUCH easier.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 11:21:35 am »

And now we've hijacked Jimbo's Let's Play thread. Sorry, Jimbo.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 11:25:44 am »

I foresaw this probability and made the reserved post into a table of contents! Hah!
But honestly, it's all good, i need the distraction while i'm mass uploading pics to imgur.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 01:30:10 pm »

Operation "First Steps" (Unoffically "Dateline Alpha Protocol")
Shortly after AP Retrieval Team One subdued target "MT" leaving Allison Testiburger's Sweet Sixteen.

Our Hero? wakes up in an unknown facility, drugged and is being watched by cameras and a mysterious figure.

Wha?.....What happened?

Is....is this because I went to Allison's party? I swear I wasn't doing anything!

Oh God, this has got to be the FBI. I'm so screwed!

Now we have control over our PC, note the little shield and grey bars over the health bar. This is basically your "Armor" and it protects your health bar and will regenerate over time.

I....wait. This can't be the FBI, I don't see Chris Hansen. Is this the guys playing a prank on me? Ha Ha guys, I know I shouldn't have gone to that party, but Mrs. Testiburger has some serious sweater meat and it was a pool party!

Our hero stumbles around the room a bit.

Oh God, this must be more serious then I thought.

We explore the room a bit before finding a stray PDA, which we promptly steal.

A wild Asian lady appears!

Obviously this lady didn't see the profile pic under Operation "FNG"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Smooth transition.

This unlocks a dossier subject on Mina, we'll look over this later.

Not pictured: Mike failing at pickup lines.

Nevermind.

(Because I went full retard and started hitting "Insert" instead of "Print Screen" there's some missing parts about escaping and guards outside the door.)

That guard out there is going to come check on you-

I'll think of something!

After searching the room a bit...

Sleeping? Most definitely. Beauty? Nope.

-back in.

Intense fight scene! Hand to hand is simple button pressing, but with some skill investment you can pull off combos and power strikes, etc.

Now that we're out of the med bay and goon #1 has been subdued, time to begin the stealth mission!

We leave the observation room and take a right, hitting a small security room and a locked door. But before we can do anything, we need to shut the alarms off.

Clipping security panels and stuff is the easiest mini-game; a simple trace the line game from the pin at the bottom to the numbers. All you gotta do is clip them in order. They get harder as the game progresses, but they all follow the same pattern but with the number/clip orientation randomed.

We exit the security room through the locked door to enter a really swanky lobby with a pair of MIB guys.

"This panel is really interesting, I hope that alarm earlier was only to warn us to avoid the 3rd floor mess hall bathrooms because it's taco tuesday."

THE PANEL WAS A TRAP!

Moving on to the little guard booth on the other side of the lobby, we find our first gun; a tranq pistol.

"Dammit, Dan, this is why we have procedures, Dan, this is why we keep our pistols holstered at all times, Dan, this is why we sign them out of the armory, DAN, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T FOLLOW PROCEDURES, DAN."

We find Rude from FF7 looking down at something interesting.

Mike doesn't want to use the tranq gun on these guards for......reasons.

Karate neck chop!

Apparently all new recruits who get assigned desk jobs at the DoJ can do this.

Moving on past the lobby we find a stairway down with another guard area. Know we know where all that secret government money goes.

This man was playing Galaga. He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did.

Going down the stairs behind the guard station, we find our first camera. You can't destroy cameras without triggering an alert, so if you wanna stay stealthy, time moving past it.

Through this door we find the 1st floor of the lobby and some more patrolling guards.

Hold on.....let me update.......my facebook..... "Getting choked out"

After checking out the lobby and finding nothing of current value, we go through the far door of the lobby.

Dun dun dun dun dun, dun dun, dun dun dun! Snake? Snakkkkeeeee!

After that excitement, we find a locked door, using a traditional padlock apparently.

Lockpicking is a bit like the TES games, but this game's pretty easy too. Each tumbler has this little notch, and you have to line up the notches across this line.

Through that locked door......more inept guards!

The unconscious guard is courteous enough to warn us of incoming trucks.

Around this time we get our first ability, Awareness. This marks all nearby guards and the direction they're looking, even through walls. (Mike was actually recruited for his spidey senses.)

After taking out that guard we continue across the garage and climb up the ladder on the other side, avoiding the truck and more guards.

Mike's first real challenge! A guard covered by a camera!

...nevermind, the guard saw a shiny alarm panel and couldn't help himself. Its like some kind of guard bait/trap/nip.

The real prize, however, was this briefcase in a locker that the camera was watching.

Woo, more intel and some dosh.

Which brings us to our next objective, this computer needs hacking.

*Sigh* Now, I'm not sure if anyone had this problem, but the gist of the minigame is to align 2 bits of code before they switch. This mini game is made annoying by the fact the right bit of code is linked to your mouse cursor while the left one is linked to WASD. My mouse sometimes has problems maintaining stability and so I try hunting that one first, and I tend to fuck it up pretty bad.

Another game over sequence.

Hacking that PC opened up some locked doors leading to a room lined with tvs.

Mina chimes in trying to warn Mike to stay still, but she doesn't know about his horrible attention span.

Ignoring her, our hero continues past this mysteriously red lit door.

"I must be tripping sooo hard right now, mannnnn."

(Again, I apologize, I got distracted by something and started hitting "Insert" again, skipping over most of this part. Queue the mass Un-PTW.)

We enter the room to meet Yancy Westridge, the director of the Alpha Protocol program. We have a bit of gab and he makes fun of Mike's lack of experience and Mike internally quails in nerves and giggles at the name "Yancy".

"Time to lay on that rookie charm."

Introductions, blah blah blah, "IM READY" and he releases us to attend orientation classes and stuff, leading to this gem:

Oddly accurate in this case.

I'm sure you saw it up there, but we leveled up from this experience! Woo, Mikey's growing up. We promptly invested into stealth.

With this, we finished the very first tutorial mission of the game. The guard takes Mikey's favorite toy (and drugs) away and we move on to orientation in the next portion, meeting more people to interact with and charm with the ol' rookie routine.

Dossiers we found today:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Again, I apologize for the two gaps in this LP so far, I'm using LightScreen to quickly screencap and dump, and I have it set to "Print Screen", which if I forget to look down for it for screen capturing, I end up hitting "Insert" instead. I learned my mistake after I sorted the images, and I try to make sure it won't happen again. If you don't quit in disgust, I'll see you guys again for next weekend's post: Operation "First Steps", Part 2!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:33:28 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 02:50:54 pm »

At least it isn't mass effect hacking.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 09:50:38 am »

Nice stuff dude, keep up the good work.
Max avatar size is 80x80

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 02:51:00 pm »

Nicely humorous.

Oh, and for those that don't know, pistols are literally the only gun you ever need in this game. For Mooks you hide behind a corner and keep your crosshair on them till its red and they instadie, for the bosses you use the special bullet time and get 3-6 free headshots that do about half a healthbar each.

This game is hilariously unbalanced, but amazingly fun as well.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 [2]