Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: [RPG] ⚔Dueling Blades⚔ - Competitive Dungeon Crawling [OOC] (Waitlist)  (Read 35449 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile

Some of you may remember this game. I tried it before, but it didn't pan out. However, I still very much like the original concept, and I still have the maps I put together, so now that I've rewritten the game's rules from the ground up to feature better organization and massively improved mechanics, I figure I'll give it another try.

The mountain range of Rakshama sunders one land into two, and on each side of that insurmountable barrier, a kingdom has risen and flourished. They exist independently, each completely unaware of the other, for Rakshama is completely impassable. Their names are Solgeid and Paralun.

There is only one way through the Rakshama Mountains, and from its entrance is its name derived. Above a single metal doorway built into a wall on either side of the mountains is a placard that reads 'RAKSHAMA'. What that doorway contains, no one knows. Many have been swallowed by it, never to return. First Solgeid, and then Paralun, put a bounty on its contents, promising great fame and riches to anyone who plumbed its depths and returned to tell the tale. Many attempted it, none were seen again. One fateful day, two parties were formed, separate but equal, of brave but unskilled peasants, who banded together to increase their chances of survival. As Fate would have it, these parties both entered the doorway into the only passage through Rakshama within the same hour, and though they knew it not, they had the greatest chance of any who had ever entered to decide which kingdom claimed the unimaginable power held deep within that link between the two, and rose to conquer the world.

OOC INFO:
This is a competitive dungeon crawl. Two groups of equal number will enter the same dungeon on opposite sides, and must work their way to the middle. If neither party is annihilated before they reach the center, they must fight to the death for the glory of their faction. If neither party makes it there at all, both lose. Along the way they will find items and people that will aid them in their quest, if they survive long enough to receive them. The game will use my own proprietary tabletop system, Foot Soldiers. You can download the PDF for free here. I recommend that you open it with Foxit PDF Reader. It's a real system; that PDF is 150 pages long. Since I wrote it, you don't have to read it thoroughly, because I can answer whatever questions you have as they come up. However, I recommend you at least read every part of the Combat section, because it contains information that will help you be as effective as possible in fights.

I'll accept as many characters as people submit sheets (and I recommend that you use my Google Spreadsheets character sheet), but it has to be an even number so neither side has an unfair advantage. I'd prefer a minimum of 4 on each side.

Solgeid, Land of Plenty
"Victorium Omnibus Modus," Victory by Any Means

Players
Malcolm (heydude6)
Gilbert Tourneville (Raycaster)
Hordor Hordorson (Cheesecake)
Alphonse Amriel (Andres)
Helena Reich (birdy51)

Paralun, United Republic
"Nos Invicta," We Are Invincible

Players
Ronald Bones (Salsacookies)
Darek Daselum (Pencil_Art)
Nelly Casey (Cinder)
Svante (Urist Arrhenius)
Ricard (GUNINANRUNIN)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:18:11 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] ⚔Dueling Blades⚔ - Competitive Dungeon Crawling
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:37:28 pm »

Interested. Peralun
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 09:11:41 pm »

Looks like I missed a few errors in Character Creation. I've fixed it and re-uploaded the PDF.

By the way, you'll all be starting at level 4. That means 35d to spend, and 4 Luck Points.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:13:57 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 09:15:59 pm »

This looks interesting. Paralun!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 10:15:03 pm »

Sure, I'll join. I dont care what team, just make it a good one!
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 10:37:39 pm »

This looks good. I haven't read the rules yet but the concept looks interesting.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 10:47:53 pm »

Currently reading PDF at the moment, will post character soon.

EDIT: Do the factions grant any bonuses or are they just names?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:53:52 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 11:04:39 pm »

The factions are just names, they only determine what side of the dungeon you start on. The kingdoms are functionally identical generic medieval civilizations.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 11:11:25 pm »

I have a question about throwing. A 6-unit item does 1d6 damage while a 7-unit item does 2d6-3 damage. If the 7-unit attack rolls two 1's, then it's 1+1-3=-1 damage, compared to the minimum damage of a 6-unit item which is 1. Why is this?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 11:14:09 pm »

PTW, and join soon.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 11:16:42 pm »

The Flanking Attack section needs a visual aid.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 11:18:33 pm »

I'm a bit stuck on allocating skills at the moments, I figured out what 35d means (35 pennies, used for buying equipment) but I have no idea what luck points are used for.(EDIT:Nevermind, figured it out)

EDIT: Also why are there man-hours in the equipment menu. Does it represent how long it takes to craft if you decide to craft it instead of buy it?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:29:15 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 11:24:41 pm »

I have a question about throwing. A 6-unit item does 1d6 damage while a 7-unit item does 2d6-3 damage. If the 7-unit attack rolls two 1's, then it's 1+1-3=-1 damage, compared to the minimum damage of a 6-unit item which is 1. Why is this?

The minimum damage you can deal is 1. Statistically, a 1d6 deals the same amount on average as 2d6-3: http://anydice.com/program/54b1 So it's the same thing, but it scales better.

e: Actually, with the minimum it deals more: http://anydice.com/program/54b0

The Flanking Attack section needs a visual aid.

FrontYouFront
SideThemSide
SideBackSide

I thought I explained it well enough, but I'll add a visual aid.

I'm a bit stuck on allocating skills at the moments, I figured out what 35d means (35 pennies, used for buying equipment) but I have no idea what luck points are used for.

EDIT: Also why are there man-hours in the equipment menu. Does it represent how long it takes to craft if you decide to craft it instead of buy it?
Luck Points are in section 6.1. Man-Hours are for crafting. You should skim the whole book in the order the book suggests in the introduction (except Setting) before you create your character, so you know all the systems.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:31:42 pm by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 11:26:25 pm »

Will post a sheet tomorrow.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 11:38:00 pm »

By the way, before posting your sheet, make sure you Share it so that anyone can view it.

I've updated the PDF with those clarifications.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30