Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: [RPG] ⚔Dueling Blades⚔ - Competitive Dungeon Crawling [OOC] (Waitlist)  (Read 35451 times)

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] ⚔Dueling Blades⚔ - Competitive Dungeon Crawling [OOC] (8/?)
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2015, 09:33:36 pm »

That's a pretty neat concept, but you should be aware that crafting potions is a lengthy process and you'll need to have somewhere to buy the ingredients from. This is all accomplishable in the game you're going to play, and you might choose to craft your potions when your party takes a break to sleep, but if you want to make them in quantity your party might have to stop for several days, allowing the other team to get ahead of you.

Of course, you could also just buy potions, but you don't need to be an alchemist for that.
I plan to have alternate throwing weapons as well, to deal with quantity. I didn't choose the build for power, more for personality. Which may be a poor choice in a competitive game, but we'll see.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2015, 09:37:17 pm »

Yes, Erratic Movements allows you to compensate for a low Readiness skill by pushing all your enemies below you in the turn order. You can also take some ranks in Psychology, since the knacks will allow you to manipulate people by insulting them, as well as improve your counter-attacks. Taking some ranks in Visual Acuity will also let you get a knack to lower your CAR for your axes, letting you use Erratic Movements more often.

Also, I pushed out another rules update, so you may want to re-download the PDF.

That's a pretty neat concept, but you should be aware that crafting potions is a lengthy process and you'll need to have somewhere to buy the ingredients from. This is all accomplishable in the game you're going to play, and you might choose to craft your potions when your party takes a break to sleep, but if you want to make them in quantity your party might have to stop for several days, allowing the other team to get ahead of you.

Of course, you could also just buy potions, but you don't need to be an alchemist for that.
I plan to have alternate throwing weapons as well, to deal with quantity. I didn't choose the build for power, more for personality. Which may be a poor choice in a competitive game, but we'll see.
Most of the builds in this game have not been tested, so you never know, it might be more powerful than you think. Throwing weapons are much cheaper than arrows, but they are subject to quality, whereas only bows and not arrows are. On the bright side, you'll never lose your throwing weapons (unless you throw them off a cliff or something), so you don't have to worry about replenishing your supply too much.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:15:50 pm by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2015, 12:06:46 am »

This looks cool, but I'll have to read the rules first. Tentatively reserved?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:59:53 am by Pencil_Art »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] ⚔Dueling Blades⚔ - Competitive Dungeon Crawling [OOC] (9/?)
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 01:00:19 am »

How do you fill it out without it saying #VALUE everywhere?

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. Was just me.

EDIT 2: Do we state what we specialize in for the Specialization skill?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:57:03 am by Pencil_Art »

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2015, 02:08:30 am »

Yes, you must state the weapon category and then choose your bonus.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2015, 03:17:52 am »

Thanks. I'll play for Paralun.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 04:15:49 am »

Since you have Ambidextrous II, you don't need a dominant hand. Your raw attack dice should be 1d8. Travel rations only weigh half a unit, not 2.5. Your weapon damage is 1d8+2, not 1d10+2. You need to enter your weapon in the Weapons/Armor tab. Your level should be 4, not 1. You've spent 36d (3+2+5+5+19+2). Fix all that and it should be fine.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] ⚔Dueling Blades⚔ - Competitive Dungeon Crawling [OOC] (7/?)
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2015, 04:26:26 am »

I upgraded my weapon attack dice with specialization I. Is travel rations weight accumulative with amount? And is there a Weapon/Armor Tab? Also I am not entirely sure how to get the Attack dice.

Raycaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Space hero!
    • View Profile
    • Sharper Shovels
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2015, 04:53:00 am »

I registered so I could play.

Hey Squeegy, put me on the winning team, ok? Hah!

Gilbert Tourneville

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2015, 07:04:00 am »

Damn! If we'd just started at 1 more level I could've fulfilled my dream of having a matchlock pistol in a medieval world. I would've been so cool! Oh well, riches shall come soon enough.

EDIT: *scrolls down to Ammunition* O_O

EDIT2: The PDF needs a glossary of acronyms. What's WR? What's MH?

EDIT3:
Code: [Select]
Left foot 3-
Right hand 4
Left leg 5
Left arm 6
Head 7 to 8
Torso 9 to 12
Waist 13 to 14
Right arm 15
Right leg 16
Left hand 17
Right foot 18+
So what you're saying is that we're 3 times as likely to hit someone's left foot than we are to hit one of their arms. More than that, we're more likely to hit that foot than we are to hit an arm at all. Arms are bigger than feet and I don't feel this is well-represented. Maybe make each foot a 1/20 chance of being hit with each arm and leg being 2/20 chance of being hit.

EDIT4: There aren't enough options for feet protection. Right now, we only have low boots and high boots, which I believe are both types of plate armour. What about leather boots or padded boots?

EDIT5: Aventail‡ Torso ˝ unit 12d Notes:Helm or bascinet
This "Helm or bascinet" (which are both their own distinct armour) covers the torso.

EDIT6: After reading through everything I've confirmed that there's a distinct lack of leather armour. No leather cap, no leather booths, no leather curaiss, no leather anything except maybe gloves.

EDIT7: Ambidextrous: You can only put two ranks into this skill. The first negates the penalty for using your offhand to wield weapons or complete actions. The second allows dual wielding with no penalties.
What's the difference?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:38:50 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Raycaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Space hero!
    • View Profile
    • Sharper Shovels
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2015, 02:01:45 pm »

What's WR?

Okay, this took a little searching, but... I had an assumption, and then got it. Weather Rating. It's basically protection from the elements. You are right though, the abbreviation isn't mentioned.

What's MH?

Man Hours, the time taken to craft one of a thing. I guess it takes two days to make 10 matchlock balls. Considering how much more deadly they are, that isn't so bad.

Damage Locations:

I'm looking it up, it seems you roll 3d6 to land a target, a range of 3 to 18 is all that there is. This is a probability chart of 3d6. The likelihood to roll any particular amount.

Some screenshot of something somewhere

So, torso is 9, 10, 11, and 12 on that chart. So it's basically super unlikely to hit any foot, ever, and slightly more likely to strike a hand.

Ambidextrous:

I'm pretty sure that it's saying that the first rank lets you use your offhand for single weapon strikes (presume your main hand is disabled or severed), and that the second rank lets you wield a sword in each hand and make two attacks without any negative to it. Which could be neat. Imagine /two/ matchlock pistols.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:23:21 pm by Raycaster »

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2015, 02:38:20 pm »

Damn! If we'd just started at 1 more level I could've fulfilled my dream of having a matchlock pistol in a medieval world. I would've been so cool! Oh well, riches shall come soon enough.

EDIT: *scrolls down to Ammunition* O_O

EDIT2: The PDF needs a glossary of acronyms. What's WR? What's MH?
All of these things and more are explained to you if you read the whole book.

EDIT3:
Code: [Select]
Left foot 3-
Right hand 4
Left leg 5
Left arm 6
Head 7 to 8
Torso 9 to 12
Waist 13 to 14
Right arm 15
Right leg 16
Left hand 17
Right foot 18+
So what you're saying is that we're 3 times as likely to hit someone's left foot than we are to hit one of their arms. More than that, we're more likely to hit that foot than we are to hit an arm at all. Arms are bigger than feet and I don't feel this is well-represented. Maybe make each foot a 1/20 chance of being hit with each arm and leg being 2/20 chance of being hit.
You have no idea how a 3d6 works. No offense, but I will not take my advice on probability balance from you.

EDIT4: There aren't enough options for feet protection. Right now, we only have low boots and high boots, which I believe are both types of plate armour. What about leather boots or padded boots?
Considering how incredibly unlikely it is to hit either foot (0.92%), and how relatively easy it is to offset the penalty for losing them, there don't really need to be more types of boots, and the varieties that exist are fairly cheap. I will add Padded boots, though, because they look kinda cool. Updated the PDF with them.

EDIT5: Aventail‡ Torso ˝ unit 12d Notes:Helm or bascinet
This "Helm or bascinet" (which are both their own distinct armour) covers the torso.
No, the Helmet, Helm, and Bascinet all cover the Head. The Aventail covers the Torso, but you can only wear it if you are wearing a Helm or Bascinet.

EDIT6: After reading through everything I've confirmed that there's a distinct lack of leather armour. No leather cap, no leather booths, no leather curaiss, no leather anything except maybe gloves.
By that logic there is a distinct lack of metal armor. The armor section does not explicitly state what material the armor is made from because A) armor was sometimes made from a mix of materials, and B) it's horribly unrealistic (according to real armorsmiths) to make certain materials "better" than others. If you want leather armor then purchase regular armor and call it leather armor.

EDIT7: Ambidextrous: You can only put two ranks into this skill. The first negates the penalty for using your offhand to wield weapons or complete actions. The second allows dual wielding with no penalties.
What's the difference?
With the first rank, you can wield a weapon in your off hand. With the second rank, you can wield a weapon with both hands.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2015, 03:03:54 pm »

You mean a weapon in Each hand, right? That would mean you would need Ambidextrous II to use 2H weapons the way you wrote it
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2015, 03:24:18 pm »

Yes, in each hand.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:26:34 pm by Squeegy »
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2015, 03:41:46 pm »

How much heft would I need to dual wield 2H weapons?
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30