Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LIII: Wolf Pack - Game Over! Scum Win!  (Read 36642 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LIII: Wolf Pack - Day 3: Bloodstained Snow
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2015, 10:06:52 am »

hector13: Giving about the only possible reasonable explanation of his's actions, and an explanation consistent with his other statements, is not refuge in audacity.
But let me get this completely straight: You found roo's vote push thing so scummy that you automatically rejected his claim that it was a reaction test, and for some reason decided not to challenge the claim (or even mention it)?  Roo was so extremely scummy that you felt the proper response to his defense was to act as if he never made it?

I didn't mention it because someone else did. His response was to repeat that he thought I had a scum-lean.

Roo suggested his vote was on me because I was buddying, then changed that to me being adorably non-threatening, and that was all he said on his read on me.

Now I'm not really sure how either town or scum can really push their agenda during RVS like Roo said in that first link, and he never tried to expand on his initial read on me by asking me questions before, during or after he made the reaction test claim.

Why would a town player not want to expand their initial read on someone by asking questions, and help others expand their reads by answering others? Mafia is a team game, for both factions. He was being detrimental to the town's efforts by not getting information in the game, so even if he was being honest about the reaction test, he was still expressing the most scum-like qualities by keeping the town in the dark.

I honestly can't see that happening from a town perspective. The town need information, otherwise any vote is just pure guesswork. Not the best way to catch scum.

Jack(Jake?:P), is there any particular reason you decided to choose to pressure me? Everyone else was on the wagon, and you did say you thought my vote was reasonable. (in the spoilered section)
Because of the D1 thing that caught my eye and because of something else I mentioned in that spoiler: you interacted a lot with roo.  A lot of content was generated.  Some was, and still is, interesting.  In case you haven't noticed, I'm not particularly satisfied with some of your responses.

I had noticed. I'm trying to answer your questions as fully as possible, but you're asking very specific questions, so it's difficult for me to anticipate what further information you require, at least before you ask me to clarify something in my response, hence all the extra stuff up there not relating to Roo's reaction test.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2015, 04:50:40 pm »

I'll also be away over the weekend, should be back by Tuesday at the latest.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2015, 07:56:41 am »

Nooope, in town all day. Tomorrow is free, however.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2015, 04:52:13 pm »

Alright, let me get down to the grind. I'm really sorry about not posting earlier, but getting committed to a game as intense as Mafia seems to be a bit taller an order than I thought it would be.

Hector has had a pretty good defense from D1, his argument against roo makes sense and puts forward a couple very good points. I was mistaken in pointing a finger at him, I mainly did that because I misunderstood how easy it was to bandwagon and how much effort even experienced players would put into that sort of thing.

Cryxis has posted several times with some iffy reasoning for his actions (he voted roo in rvs because everyone else did), but most of that can be attributed to him dealing with time constraints and (probably) general noobiness. He's more of a null read to me.

UXLZ I don't know, it's pretty hard for me to get a read off what he's been posting. He'd be more of a null read.

Jack is probably my strongest scum read, and that's more off of a hunch than anything substantial in what he's been posting. I feel like if Jack really were town, then he would have been killed along with Nerjin on N1 or 2. Unfortunately, this falls apart pretty quick for me (which is why i'm not bothering with a FoS) because I doubt that scum IC would advise to murder both IC's immediately, as noone would really learn anything.
So, Jack ends up as another null read.

UGHHH, this is really frustrating. I'm sure if I was able to analyze these posts a bit better I'd be able to make more substantial claims, but this is all i've got for now.

Again, sorry for the lack of posting. I'm out of commission tonight, but i'll post again tomorrow to look at what UXLZ posts.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 16, 2015, 05:19:37 pm »

Votecount:

Cryxis, Prince of Doom:
UXLZ:
ggamer: Jack A T
hector13:
Jack A T:

Not voting: everyone but Jack A T

Due to the lack of reminders and time on my part, the day will end roughly 24 hours from this post.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 17, 2015, 10:02:12 pm »

Wow, seriously? I guess this game sorta fell by the wayside.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 18, 2015, 06:09:34 pm »

Votecount:

Cryxis, Prince of Doom:
UXLZ:
ggamer: Jack A T
hector13:
Jack A T:

Not voting: everyone but Jack A T

As ggamer falls to his brethren, two of the wolves turn on the other two and quickly do away with them. UXLZ and hector13 stand victorious over the bodies of their pack. They turn their tails on their former companions and run off into the snowy forest, seeking their future.

ggamer has been lynched! He was a Vanilla Townie!

UXLZ and hector13 win!

Scum Chat
Dead Chat
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LIII: Wolf Pack - Game Over! Scum Win!
« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2015, 06:50:49 pm »

Well... I think this is another example to people that a lack of activity makes a scum win almost guaranteed.

If either of the two new players plan on continuing their interest in mafia, be active! (as town!) It makes it way more fun if you're involved in things, even if you make an arse of yourself. That's what BM games are for, after all ;) I think there may have been an element of "I don't know what I'm doing!", especially in Cryxis' case, but you should still try to ask questions, poke people. Don't let the scum get away with lurking to a win!

I'm sad I wasn't town though. Played 4 (and a half) games, and I've been town once (and a half) so I'm still a bit uncertain of how to approach a town game.

Question for Jack, though: what were you trying to do with your line of questioning, and how were my answers making you lean on my alignment?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2015, 08:31:30 pm »

Ya I don't plan on playing mafia again, if I do it will be a beginer game far down the line
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2015, 08:52:30 pm »

gg wp. Sad to see apathy and stagnation lose it for town.
Or not it's cool.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 18, 2015, 09:10:25 pm »

Too bad. Scum have been doing fairly well in most recent BM games.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2015, 11:21:36 pm »

So, just to be clear: every single player in the game was too overwhelmed to really play that last day, and my vote just before I disappeared into a pile of essays and forgetfulness (apologies) was the only vote laid.  And I voted for the wrong guy.

... Quality!

Question for Jack, though: what were you trying to do with your line of questioning, and how were my answers making you lean on my alignment?
Overall, you felt off in several ways, few of which could be turned into coherent arguments and most of which were sort of on the newb/scum line.  You squirmed a lot when I voted you, and reacted very strongly to roo's vote, but that could have been your inexperience (nervousness under votes: a newbie trait as well as a scum one).  Your Peradon read felt artificial, being based on a time zone coincidence and propped up by haphazardly applied theory, but that could have easily been your inexperience.

The roo line of questioning was by far the strongest thing I had.  It became quickly apparent that you were trying to prop up your vote and actions after the fact rather than explain why you did what you did.  By my last post, it was clear that you were trying to say why a Good Townie would do what you did and ignore roo's defense, and it was pretty clearly bullshit.  The problem was that I had to determine why you were bullshitting: were you a townie trying to stand your ground on a lynch you were certain was justified, or scum?  I was leaning a good bit towards the latter, and waffled on who to vote when writing that last post, but ggamer's coasting beat you out.

Looking at scumchat, you mention townwashing your posts through extensive proofreading.  I think that's what kept my attention (well, that and the squirming): you shoved way too much whitewash onto your posts, and did so rather clumsily.  Take it a bit more easily in the future.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:28:16 pm by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2015, 11:55:06 pm »

slightly disappointed that no wagon analysis was done on on the peradon lynch. Looking at my lynch then at peradons. cryxsis was clearly newb town. uz would have been the most obv scum from that alone imho.
Or not it's cool.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 19, 2015, 12:41:35 am »

Yeah, with so many lurkers, I had no idea how to approach this game.

Also, Hector, were you buddying me, I must know....
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 19, 2015, 09:36:31 am »

Yeah, with so many lurkers, I had no idea how to approach this game.

Also, Hector, were you buddying me, I must know....

I wasn't at that point, no. I was in the midst of insomnia, and I was exhausted, so I was basically interacting with you for the sake of interacting with you ;) then the exploding after you voted me was partly "oh shit!" and RL stuff compounding the tiredness. I'd like to apologise for the shouty/sweary post(s) since it's not something I really like doing, and to roo. I wasn't very nice to roo :-\ sorry guys!

I think that's a pretty good question for the ICs though. I wasn't really getting involved because I didn't have any reason to get involved, beyond Jack's bulldog-esque questioning.

What do we do in a game with lots of lurkers?

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21