Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Psychological Weapons against enemies?  (Read 1377 times)

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
Psychological Weapons against enemies?
« on: March 31, 2015, 04:33:46 pm »

So, do invading goblins/elves get nervous when they see too many corpses of their own people? What if you dropped from a large height a goblin onto a catapult, causing it to explode on impact, then launched the severed pieces at the invaders? Could that damage their moral, or even make them flee? Personally, i love the idea of sending a few dozen goblins worth of gore at invading goblins!
"That way leads to the surface. We don't go to the surface."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Psychological Weapons against enemies?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 05:02:23 pm »

In short... no. None of that is currently simulated.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 06:07:41 pm »

What actually causes goblins (or any faction) to break and flee during a siege then?  Purely a % losses threshold?
Or, if it is a factor of troops injured, perhaps a minor injury to everyone would do the job.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:14:09 pm »

AFAIK it's a weighting of both. Injuries and deaths both push them towards fleeing, with deaths contributing a much higher number (and as such usually are the main driving force). That's just from observances and experience though, I haven't done any actual !!SCIENCE!! on it yet.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 06:14:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure it is simulated actually. At least Toady has gone on record as saying that you'll be able to dump goblin corpses on a goblin siege and if any of those goblins knew each other watch the attackers cry.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:19:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure it is simulated actually. At least Toady has gone on record as saying that you'll be able to dump goblin corpses on a goblin siege and if any of those goblins knew each other watch the attackers cry.
ZUGBO NOOOOOOOO

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:25:53 pm »

They don't have discipline breakdowns anymore? When emotions first changed, they went nuts seeing even dwarf corpses.

I took to releasing animal men from cages to break their morale via 'oh no, I saw this thing I killed get killed'.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 06:28:31 pm »

Yeah, hang on, I distinctly remember when this whole emotion thing got reworked that villagers and even animals would straight panic at the sight of corpses or body parts from their own race/species.

I think that's been toned down, but shouldn't it still be simulated? If you dropped a few sieges worth of body parts on goblins, maybe it will have a cumulative effect?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 08:27:08 pm »

I remember a while back in one of the temporary versions I stockpiled/forbid a giantess corpse outside my fortress and it made some of the goblins go WTF during the siege.

When the giant attacked it actually did a U-turn and started running away screaming "somebody help me!" while my dwarves hit it with their socks... so yeah that build definitely needed some tweaking.
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:32:41 pm »

I'm sure I saw goblin human recruits and trolls running away like flies, with a blue exclamation mark over them.
Maybe they don't have discipline skill?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!