Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: About that Nickel Stuff...  (Read 7515 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: About that Nickel Stuff...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 12:50:32 am »

I will put a +cat bone bolt+ in those who deny that calcium is the best metal.

Um, no??? 

Obviously Nickel is best metal, have you even been reading this thread?

I don't know man, it's true Calcium will get you strong bones.  Nickel can't do that. 

I have a program that does that automatically for you:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140645.msg5475264#msg5475264

Basically, at least for vanilla materials:

TENSILE_YIELD is ultimate tensile strength in KPa

COMPRESSIVE_YIELD and IMPACT_YIELD are TENSILE_YIELD*3.5

All other YIELD values are exactly TENSILE_YIELD's value

FRACTURE values are all exactly twice YIELD values

STRAIN_AT_YIELD values are YIELD value divided by relevant stress/strain modulus (noted in the raws); stress/strain modulus is measured here in 10ths of gigapascals.

Actually, I did see that program and I'm eager to test it out.  However, I don't want to bother installing Python again, so I'm going to see if I can dissect the .py file and put the equations into something else, like an .swf 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 01:18:11 am »

.swf? That's odd.

I could always make it in C++ for you, as a suspicious-ass .exe file. Or just a javascript application for use on the web.

I may just do the last one, heh.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 08:06:48 am »

It struck me as odd that Ni has such a low value and is basically useless in Dwarf Fortress.  I've always thought that Nickel was pretty similar to Iron, which was used for weapons.  Nickel seems to have a lot of the same material properties as iron. 
Useless?! Nickel is the cheapest magma-safe metal, and therefore the material of choice for magma-safe chains (rollers). Same for minecarts themselves and corkscrews (pumps), other than exploiting nether-cap, anyway.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 10:58:42 am »

In vanilla DF, you can make the pipe sections for your magma pumps out of nickel, but not the corkscrews.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 04:15:59 pm »

Bah! Just use glass to make magma-safe pumps. Nickel's useful for chains and minecarts, though.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 09:32:09 pm »

There are some frankly astonishing nickel alloys out there with remarkable properties.  There's one I know of that's flat out impervious to sea water corrosion, for instance, and that barnacles won't stick to. (That one's a mix of Nickel, Aluminum, Copper, and Tin.) If nickel weren't so bloody expensive they'd probably make entire boat hulls out of it. 

Most of the ones I know of aren't majority nickel, though.  Lots of stuff with 5% here and there in the mix.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:27 pm »

Invar would be interesting if DF had thermal expansion.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 10:20:54 am »

I always understood samples of meteoric iron which was found by people and forged into better steel was always an example of nickel alloys of steel which were impossible before nickel was figured out in ore form.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 10:53:49 am »

I wonder if corrosion will ever be put into DF, corrosion to metal armor/weapons that is. I doubt all dwarves have the materials to polish and sharpen their equipment and keep most of the that off so when will just straight iron armor users have to replace their equipment because of rust?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 03:25:26 am »

In vanilla DF, you can make the pipe sections for your magma pumps out of nickel, but not the corkscrews.
Right, it needs to be weapon-grade, my bad.

I always understood samples of meteoric iron which was found by people and forged into better steel was always an example of nickel alloys of steel which were impossible before nickel was figured out in ore form.
Iron-nickel meteorite alloy isn't steel, though can be mixed into it, of course.
As is, it can't be quenched/tempered like steel, but doesn't suffer from cold brittleness either. So certain polar tribes got very lucky - this stuff can be cold-forged without fuel in the first place, and doesn't make like Titanic when strikes anything later.

I wonder if corrosion will ever be put into DF, corrosion to metal armor/weapons that is. I doubt all dwarves have the materials to polish and sharpen their equipment and keep most of the that off so when will just straight iron armor users have to replace their equipment because of rust?
What materials? Rag or fur, oil or fat, sand.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 08:42:00 am »

All materials.

Also I found the best metal alloy/ceramic ever, transparent aluminum

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 09:31:06 pm »

Also I found the best metal alloy/ceramic ever, transparent aluminum

Also known as sapphire. Synthetic sapphire would be a great addition to glassmaking, but the process for creating it was only developed in 1902.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 09:43:38 pm »

No not know as sapphire this is a bit different.
It's being used as bullet PROOF windows. It can deflect small arms rounds and can take a 50 cal round no probs.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/transparent-aluminum-armor.htm

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 11:25:51 pm »

It appeard sapphire is aluminum and oxygen organized in a triangler crystals where as transparent aluminum is aluminum nitrogen and oxygen arrayed with a cubical crystal pattern.

Sapphire is a mineral where as transparent aluminium is a cermeric, which is an important distinction. Transparent aluminium is 85% as hard as sapphire,  but straight up hardness is not the end all consideration for armoring capabilities.

There is an important distinction between alloys like steel and ceramics like tungsten carbide and transparent aaluminium.  the biggest is that alloys like pure metals will bend under strain, cermerics shatter.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:28:41 pm by Ops Fox »
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 11:28:52 pm »

Or even any consideration whatsoever. Dwarf Fortress doesn't even included hardness at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4