Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eyebrow Raising, Companion Killing Anomaly  (Read 1263 times)

WormArmy

• Bay Watcher
  • I am in fact.
    • View Profile
Eyebrow Raising, Companion Killing Anomaly
« on: February 20, 2015, 09:55:19 pm »

Hi.

So, I was crossing the great southern frozen oceans with my two compatriots, when suddenly the ice behind me erupted into a massive rectangular wall. My companions were caught inside the emerging monolith and killed instantly.

I don't know if this is a common occurrence I've simply somehow failed to encounter or hear about, but... what the heck?!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT - It happened again when I took a few steps eastwards! Am I the only one who doesn't know about this phenomenon?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:58:33 pm by WormArmy »
my dream is that twoota readers build up an unnatural fear of hollow rectangles that follows them for the rest of their lives

You can't call a man a slimeball if he doesn't rat... and you can't call a slimeball a rat cuz he can't talk. But he always knows. Always.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Eyebrow Raising, Companion Killing Anomaly
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:02:22 pm »

I knew someone going to make a thread about the ocean eating people,
here's a fun tip if you cross any more into that ocean you're going to die, turn back.
this is a common occurrence where ice is technically floating off the ground since water doesn't count as a solid floor thus when you move to far out you end up causing a cave in which splashes water into the super cold air causing it to Freeze instantly. anyone not fast enough to avoid the 2 frame Freezing effect will instantly die.
before people usually stop at the wall since there was no normal way for adventurer's to climb 1 z level walls (well there was the minecart trick but I think it didn't catch on) now with climbing you can scale those walls and continue on until you get incased in ice by the Ocean.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

WormArmy

• Bay Watcher
  • I am in fact.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:05:09 pm »

It almost seems to be tied to minimizing the game... all the ice walls (including the one that just now finally killed me) appeared when I reopened the game window. But minimizing/maximizing the window has no effect on the game engine, right?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:34:45 pm by WormArmy »
my dream is that twoota readers build up an unnatural fear of hollow rectangles that follows them for the rest of their lives

You can't call a man a slimeball if he doesn't rat... and you can't call a slimeball a rat cuz he can't talk. But he always knows. Always.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 04:52:44 am »

Oh yeah that happened to me, is it cave ins though?
I thought it was waves freezing instantly.
But yeah if you are fast enough or hot enough.
I was a magma man and it couldnt freeze me. It melted turning into gushing water only to push me away and re freeze.
I also could stand in rivers and reduce the level down to 3/7 from evaporation... and so on.
What im saying is, is it really a magma man if its on the surface?
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 05:06:00 am »

Oh, the ice walls? I think they happen because when the water freezes there's a layer on top of that which stays unfrozen for a split second, long enough to basically teleport on top of the new ice. Then it freezes too and forms those giant square blocks of ice.
At least I think that's what happens, they have tunnels going down inside them so who knows, they might be portals into some eldritch realm or other.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 06:30:25 am »

this  here is my experience with crossing the frozen ocean
long story short it's a death trap, if you care about your adventurer best turn back. not even flying over the glacier will save you.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:46:54 am »

What im saying is, is it really a magma man if its on the surface?

You go through a world shattering transformation and turn into a completely different being: a lava man.