Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using the filter (spread rumor)  (Read 4182 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using the filter (spread rumor)
« on: February 21, 2015, 02:50:15 am »

Thee new rumor system drives me insane. Who the hell cares that a raven has died in Boiledpants a week ago? Not to say all other rumors.

The main problem: it seems to be impossible to turn in quests that had you kill something. There is simply no entry for, say "Gulfmountains the Roc has been slain in Boiledpants". Entering "Gulfmountains" or "roc" brings the "Beast present at X" result.

Instead I get all the crap about wrestlng wobats, conflicts with badgers and such... How to turn in the quest to kill that Roc?

P.S:Roc was stopped with violent force. It was inevitable.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:53:29 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
Re: Using the filter (spread rumor)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 03:18:49 am »

Who the hell cares that a raven has died in Boiledpants a week ago?

"Gulfmountains the Roc has been slain in Boiledpants".

I get all the crap about wrestlng wobats, conflicts with badgers and such...

Roc was stopped with violent force.

In the world of Dwarf Fortress nobody cares about anything, you could tell them you killed a dragon beating it with another dragon and they would just say "it was inevitable". I miss the old "may Sparklesocks the vampire forever rot in the underwold" or whatever they used to say.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 03:36:41 am »

So, there's no way to turn in that quest? is there a way to turn in  ANY quests? How to increase the fame then?

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 04:45:22 am »

FAME IS POINTLESS MORTAL.
Actions speak louder than rumours.
The wiki will lie to you, simply because its slow to get updated, and I dont care for updating it myself atm.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 09:05:49 am »

FAME IS POINTLESS MORTAL.
Actions speak louder than rumours.
The wiki will lie to you, simply because its slow to get updated, and I dont care for updating it myself atm.

I've killed 4 quest targets so far, but nobody seems to care, even when "Brag about" option is selected... So fame is impossible to increase in this version?

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:27:37 am »

Oh no fame is very much a thing.
It just doesnt seem to work properly yet. The new conversation and emotion systems arnt fully legit yet
Why do you want fame? for companions? Hold a second il fetch the list I made for the question many ask.

Popularity is all shit at the moment. Why do you want it? for companions?
most the popularity gained will be from killing beasts n baddies that are enemys to the civ you are helping.
Spreading rumours works well though. Like an airborn virus.

Now if you want many companions I could show you some threads realated to that but its quicker if I tell you.
Get as many that can follow you. Go to a secluded area tell them to wait and the game will keep then compainions but not an active party and you can recruit more (rinse wash repeat) go back to the drop location and ask all to follow you.
Or
You could brave the shitty FPS of a dark fort and rekidnap the kids (I got 164 this way) take them somewhere tell them to wait and then wait yourself for an hour and they will 'grow up' changing from child to recruit and they become equipable fron there onwards.
Or
learn the secrets of life and death and res anything in sight.
There is no follower cap if you know the ways around it.
Im sure I covered it all.
Any more questions while im being sensible?

There ya go buddy. Soak it up pass it on.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:30:07 am by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 07:43:30 pm »

Wow that was informative.
Knowing Toady, the conversation system will be pathced in the next century the following millenium. I guess some "wait here" abuse is in order. Thanks for the advice!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:28:20 pm by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 10:33:19 pm »

Wow that was informative.
Knowing Toady, the conversation system will be pathced in the next century the following millenium. I guess some "wait here" abuse is in order. Thanks for the advice!
it's not even that really if it does get patch all you need to do is separate your group with a river and do that bit the same way.
the only thing toady would patch would be to make adventurers psi know you have guys waiting on you and call your bluff. but that super buggy if say you do legit lose your companions and now lock out on getting more.
then again I already hit the annoyance of to many companions from necromancy that I just grab 1 to 2 guys for bogeyman insurance... mostly those two guys are bogeymen but pfft don't think about that.

oh yeah there's also drunks you can recruit drunks and they have no follower cap. edit: don't know if there a follower cap on drunks though... but if you do surpass the follower cap do expect any of the normal adventurers to blow you off.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:44:13 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 05:05:51 am »

I dont think Toady will change the party settings.
Any more then 30 companions is annoying to manage considering how they path.
When I was leading my 160ish kid army (yes still alive but a very old world without mods) they would crawl over eachother trying to get on my square and would get in my way alot only to force me to crawl out of the pile of kids.
Seriously there would be stacks of 10+ children on every tile around me.
Just because you can get hundreds of followers it doesnt make it easier just changes the balance.
There is no group command, no mass wait.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that the frame rate isnt effected by hundreds of followers.
And come here for knowledge before the wiki we are on the leading edge of science here!

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 05:42:56 am »

I dont think Toady will change the party settings.
Any more then 30 companions is annoying to manage considering how they path.
When I was leading my 160ish kid army (yes still alive but a very old world without mods) they would crawl over eachother trying to get on my square and would get in my way alot only to force me to crawl out of the pile of kids.
Seriously there would be stacks of 10+ children on every tile around me.
Just because you can get hundreds of followers it doesnt make it easier just changes the balance.
There is no group command, no mass wait.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that the frame rate isnt effected by hundreds of followers.
And come here for knowledge before the wiki we are on the leading edge of science here!

Crikey! All I need is 3 people... Though to achieve that without bug use, I'd have to start with above average social awareness I guess.

Nvm, lost my faith in companions today, after 2 of them saw Roc bird, and ran, screaming "I must withdraw". They drowned afterwards trying to chase some goblins on the opposite side of the river. Faduq...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 09:01:45 am »

the only thing toady would patch would be to make adventurers psi know you have guys waiting on you and call your bluff. but that super buggy if say you do legit lose your companions and now lock out on getting more.
More likely your companions would refuse to rejoin you until you got rid of the new guys.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?