Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Games Where You're the Bad Guy  (Read 24402 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Games Where You're the Bad Guy
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2015, 01:30:54 pm »

any game where you are the police or military, or any game where you play the "good" guys who are often the opressors painted in white light.

Power to the People. Down with the man.

Don't forget the games where ypu're some kind 0f "tycoon". Business is bad too.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2015, 01:51:19 pm »

any game where you are the police or military, or any game where you play the "good" guys who are often the opressors painted in white light.

I'm way to lazy to look for 'OOOH THE EDGE' macro. Feel free to google it at your own convenience.
I prefer images of The Edge from U2 with no accompanying text.

Besides, for this to fit the OP's criteria the enemies would have to be capital-G good guys, which isn't generally true of any side in any conflict.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2015, 02:53:21 pm »

There's Orphan Feast by AdultSwimGames, though iirc the protagonist reverses his stance on eating orphans halfway through the game
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2015, 03:54:56 pm »

Don't forget the games where ypu're some kind 0f "tycoon". Business is bad too.
The recent Big Pharma tycoon encourages you to limit the potency of your drugs to avoid curing your patients/customers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2015, 03:57:02 pm »

I'm way to lazy to look for 'OOOH THE EDGE' macro. Feel free to google it at your own convenience.

I just reset my computer, but when my new OS disc comes in I can share my macros.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2015, 11:48:32 pm »

Ethically it should have to do with intent. If you shoot a random person but it turns out they were doublehitler you aren't a good guy.
In a gameplay standpoint there's nothing accidentally in the game.
If you think you're fighting the good guys but it turns out the good guys are led by doublehitler then that's because someone designed the game like that and it undercuts you as the villain.
First part: That's what i am talking about.
Second part: Do you mean that the character couldn't do anything accidentally in a gameplay standpoint?
Third part: That's what i am talking about too.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2015, 12:07:00 am »

If nobody's mentioned them yet*:

The Hearts of Iron series of games are World War II strategy games where you can literally play Nazi Germany (and one supposes you are playing Hitler, in that case).

Caveats: The game is focused on the war. I don't believe the holocaust is in the game, and I don't think the nazi flag is in it either (I haven't played the latest entry in the series, however, so I'm not entirely sure). There are mods, I believe, if you really want to feel like a terrible person.

(Disclaimer: The holocaust was a terrible thing and Hitler was a terrible person. Also, so was Stalin, who you can also play as, but whose mass-killings there isn't as much recognition of.)

* I read the entire thread but I've forgotten most of what was on most of the pages.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2015, 12:09:31 am »

In Temple of Elemental Evil you have the option to join the game's namesake evil organization
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2015, 03:52:25 am »

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer - the original campaign didn't let you do much more than be a dick to people or engage in criminal activities, but this changes a bit in the expansion, where you can be a dick to people, eat people's souls, eat powerful (and definitely well-meaning) spirits of the land, eat the soul of a god, ruin quite a few lives, oppose the generally benevolent, if passive god of death and eventually become a rampaging cosmic horror that even the gods fear if you play your cards right.

Of course, quite a few of the good guys are somewhat dubious in their methods, but they never manage to overshadow you if you are evil enough.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:54:58 am by Harry Baldman »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2015, 08:16:04 am »

Second part: Do you mean that the character couldn't do anything accidentally in a gameplay standpoint?

I mean that nobody accidentally programmed Superghandi who you were fighting to turn out to be Doublehitler at the end of the game. In the story it might be you legitimately being a bad guy but the people who made it deliberately undercut the idea that you were evil.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2015, 12:18:22 pm »

nobody accidentally programmed Superghandi who you were fighting to turn out to be Doublehitler
This just makes me think of Civ 1. 255 points of pure nuclear rage.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2015, 12:47:42 pm »

I mean that nobody accidentally programmed Superghandi who you were fighting to turn out to be Doublehitler at the end of the game. In the story it might be you legitimately being a bad guy but the people who made it deliberately undercut the idea that you were evil.
I don't think evil fighting evil makes either side necessarily less evil (Dungeon Keeper comes to mind). A war between demons would be plenty evil. Ultimately it depends how it's framed storywise. Wouldn't fit your definition of a bad guy game admittedly, but Solium Infernum has you fighting other demons for the throne of Hell.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2015, 01:17:25 am »

I don't think evil fighting evil makes either side necessarily less evil (Dungeon Keeper comes to mind). A war between demons would be plenty evil. Ultimately it depends how it's framed storywise. Wouldn't fit your definition of a bad guy game admittedly, but Solium Infernum has you fighting other demons for the throne of Hell.
Here's the question: Is the character know what are they doing, how bad someone they are fighting and if they know about how bad it is?
Things like this invariably fail when the character KNOWS who he's fighting is a bad(der) guy. But when the character didn't know that they are fighting for the lesser evil, and everyone he fight is like that, it's not about who is he fighting anymore; It's more how he generally do things.
This is the quote are you looking for?
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2015, 08:42:45 am »

I don't think evil fighting evil makes either side necessarily less evil (Dungeon Keeper comes to mind).

You don't really do anything very evil in Dungeon Keeper, you just have evil set dressings.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2015, 08:57:42 am »

some games in the metal gear series
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11