Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's Create a Tabletop RPG - Pirate Themed!  (Read 2646 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Create a Tabletop RPG - Pirate Themed!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 07:52:21 pm »

Firstly, do we want a realistic damage system (Arms, Legs, that kind of thing) or do we want a hit point system? If we choose realistic, we can use a system like in Foot Soldiers, where you roll to decide where you hit. This could also be the case with ships.

Also, diseases should be a factor, as that was a common problem.

Aw, I'm flattered. Foot Soldiers uses both locational damage and a hit point system, though.

Unfortunately I can't help with this, since as mentioned, I'm working on Foot Soldiers. But since you mentioned it, I'd like to notify everyone that I'll be starting a Kickstarter for the system at some point in the future, and encourage you all to back it.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 07:59:42 pm »

I'd would be interested in helping here. Could we also make this compatible for something like a Fallen London scenario?
What's that about?

Long story short, London has been sucked underground into a massive cavern-continent, in the middle of these forsaken lands lies the massive unterzee, which is a huge underground ocean. London fell on one edge of it and has substantial docks to field both a navy and merchant shipping. Basically, within the zee islands shift and there are a plethora of deadly creatures to fight, along with pirates, and the remains of other civilizations sucked under, even the somewhat fractured forces of hell. It's a fun setting set in the 1890s (or maybe the 1880s?).
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 08:02:52 pm »

Hmm. I suppose these sea-faring centric rules could be suited to that, or a variety of other settings. But we need to develop those rules more.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 08:07:39 pm »

So, can anyone take a crack at these rules?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:11:11 pm »

Please, go ahead. I have no idea what I'm doing here. Basically I just don't want some systems I made for an RTD last year to go to waste, so I put them here to build on.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 08:11:51 pm »

Please, go ahead. I have no idea what I'm doing here. Basically I just don't want some systems I made for an RTD last year to go to waste, so I put them here to build on.

Cool, I will make you roll ALL the dice. Muhahahaha!

but actually probably just a few.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:13:32 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 01:52:18 am »

So, I have been rolling this about in my head in an attempt to combine my favorite systems.

A proposal is written:

At first I thought simply to stick to the seafaring side of things, but then I realized what made my favorite RPGs good were the ludicrous characters. So I started there. I admit that I actually thought of a skill system first, but what I will present first is how to handle a crew. Simply, I propose that the crew, UNLESS taken up by players, start off as generic NPCs. You start the game (Presumably with a ship, if you want to dive right in to seafaring) with variable amount of crew that depends on your starting stats. You should start with your vessel somewhere between 50%-100% crewed. You could hire better crew which would allow to increase stats of your choosing between trips. On the whole, they will start (much) better than a player crew member but scale worse. They also can't help you out on land or with intricate matters. Essentially, I'm trying to make it so that the players can be the merry band of officers and/or ship captains, and get a bunch of generic redshirts to help fight in an otherwise dangerous world.

Now, how do you define a character? My favorite, and currently running RPG, is Only War. In Only War they handle definition as a player like this: Characteristics, which represent your fundamental skills (specifically weapon skill, ballistic skill, strength, toughness, agility, intelligence, perception, willpower, and fellowship). Aptitudes, which allow you to be better at certain characteristics and increase related skills and talents more easily. Skills, which provide proficiency at a certain task, and finally, talents, which give you bonuses and extra uses for your skills. An excellent system, but also constraining.

In response, I noticed that, regardless of archetype and randomly rolled demeanor, each person in our group played their character the way they wanted to. I also noticed that players  generally have the most fun when they have finally started to tailor their archetypal characters to their own tastes. So I thought, why not provide a system that builds available skills off of how players behave. In the end, I thought it would be cool if it could all be compressed down in to one system, the "Personality Trait".

You start with four available traits, something along the lines of "Combat skill, Watchfulness, Persuasiveness, and stealth". Essentially, they would allow you to perform a wide number of actions at a slight to moderate disadvantage in comparison if you had one of a number of more specific traits. I imagined that would work like so: For every starting trait, there are a number of advanced traits (I.E. Combat skill -> Aiming OR Positioning OR etc. etc.). Essentially, players get to roll appropriate tests the way they want to. In addition to these traits, there is one more type of trait that isn't readily available, the "Reputation trait". These traits are rewarded for exceptional acts of courage and game-changing actions. More on these in a bit.

The question is, how do we define traits, and go about trait gain? My thoughts are these: All traits are on a 0-100 scale. You start the game with your three of your four starter traits at 1 and one of your choosing at ten (so your not TOTALLY useless). The other traits are locked off until you complete stories which justify the introduction of the character to that trait, but also entirely at the GM's discretion. Trait gain is given out by the GM to each player at the end of each session depending on how they played (I.E. If you've been very stealthy, +3 to stealth) OR at the end of one in game day if they have an exceptional accomplishment, again at the GM's discretion. Essentially, your character is built on how you act. Of course, the GM needs some power as well, which is where "Reputation Traits" come in. You can't train rep traits, or earn them at the end of a session normally. They are awarded on-the-spot for acts of a player. For example, if you do stupid shit all game you get +1 Stupid, or if your mind-bogglingly rich +1 Rich, or if you are beast-moding +1 terrifying. Essentially, it allows for the GM to shape what manner of options are available to you in future sessions, and also rage at you in a controlled manner. That's what these traits do; open up different story lines and make for funny characters. I'm trying to provide a balance between the GM and the players in terms of plot protection, a system where players CAN ruin the plot constantly, but can also be punished for it.

WOW... phew, the general idea for characters: done. What's next? Combat. Well, a rough outline. I'm thinking just roll initiative and do what ever actions you want that turn? Under normal circumstances anyways.

TL;DR: The game is a lot work for the GM, who would presumable have to come up with interesting stories for any given encounter as well as manage experience gains, and raging at the players.

What needs to be done? ALOT. Mostly I need to decide on a "Core Mechanic".

Also balancing for characters, an "ascension" system, and more structure.

Finally stats for items, vessels, stuff, etc. AND it all needs to be balanced.

So, in conclusion: What's there already has problems that need to be fixed and 90% of the game needs to be thought of still. Suggestions? Ideas? Input? Pure, unadulterated Hatred? Cheese?

P.S. I do a lot have more thought out, but i'm tired of typing at two in the morning so peace.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 02:00:37 pm »

Traits system sounds interesting, but it seems like it would be better (and provide less workload) to leave personality stuff to RP.

Random redshirts for the crew while the players fill (mostly) officer/crew-boss roles sounds good, and it had been in the RTD as well. Starting scenario is obviously up to the GM, but it will probably often involve being at port looking for supplies/crew to go pirating with. I'm not sure about being unable to bring the redshirts on land, though.
Pages: 1 [2]