Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crashes on Saves and Long Loading Times  (Read 2296 times)

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crashes on Saves and Long Loading Times
« on: February 23, 2015, 03:14:27 am »

Good Day All,

My friend appears to have a problem with Dwarf Fortress Masterwork (it's possible that it's an issue with the core game though, not the Mod per se).

He tells me that upon starting a game first of all Stone Sense crashes/fails to load. Then after that, while in the game, when he tries to save the game it crashes before the Save can be completed. Apparently the one or two times when it did not crash and managed to save the loading times would take between ten and fifteen minutes.

Now, the laptop he is running it on is a bit higher than lower grade, by today's standards, with Windows 8 as I recall. I asked him to try and run DF Masterwork in Admin Mode to see if the problems persist, so perhaps that will be one solution. However, could there be other underlying problems that we should be aware of? He does run it off of an SSD Disk.

Cheers,

WriterX

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Crashes on Saves and Long Loading Times
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:29:18 am »

It definitely is good practice to use admin mode for DF in Windows 7 and 8, it helps some people with crash on save. 

Are you short on RAM?  Have you tried smaller worlds and smaller embarks?

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crashes on Saves and Long Loading Times
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:26:02 pm »

It definitely is good practice to use admin mode for DF in Windows 7 and 8, it helps some people with crash on save. 

Are you short on RAM?  Have you tried smaller worlds and smaller embarks?

Sorry to 'change the path' of this thread, but it is relevant.

How much does actual world size matter? In my testing, I saw a VERY negligible difference from a world with 300 civs and 250 year end, and a small world with 30 civs and a 0 year end in fps or related matters. I see many people suggest it, yet I see very little difference from it myself, nor any stable information about it.

On topic:

I agree with Smake about the ram, I know loading and world gen and all that is quite intensive on Memory (ram). Admin mode is also, as Smake said - a good idea.

I saw you mention Stone Sense, if i'm not failing memory, it's a 'mod' that allows a 3d print out of the fort, correct? If so, I'm fairly certain it's a very heavy burden on the system, and laptops are not really well designed for DF's intensity. (As you mentioned it's not a 'high grade' laptop). Has he tried to load the game without stone sense - or is that just an error he sees in the console?

Further, if none of the above works - has he tried to clean out the install and reinstall freshly from scratch? That eliminates any kind of config, corruption, etc errors.

I wanna say its the laptop's lack of power causing it, but I can't be certain. DF is a finicky beast, very finicky. >.<