Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Politics  (Read 3637 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Politics
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 07:20:54 am »

Sounds like a job for a representative, somebody temporarily given the status of mayor long enough for the actual mayor to go off and do whatever needs doing. Allowing higher nobility to do that would allow them to go off and lead armies during wars, something that was usually expected of them in antiquity. Seeing that happen in an active fort might not happen for awhile, but when it does having a troublesome duke go away and stop causing trouble for awhile would be a welcome reprieve, moreso if they should so happen to be struck down by a jabberer.
As for who takes over for while they're out, the position holder's spouse or whoever is designated by SUCCESSION_BY would probably make the most sense. Either that or a friend the position holder trusts.

It is implied during the promotion screen that the Baron+ is precisely that representive, this is implied your gaining a baron is you becoming part of the 'Realm' and you appoint a candidate to fill the office rather than one simply arriving with the caravan as would make more sense if Toady One was actually modeling actual feudal relations.  If you do not want a baron at all you have to say is 'we would rather keep our distance' and they are quite happy about this. 

Before you have a baron you are not seen as having sufficiant status to warrent representation at the central government level.  Think of it of like the distinction between.

US Territory
AND
US State

Initially you do not warrent representation at the central government level but once you are sufficiant developed you are given the option of representation at the table to the central government.  That is why barons are considered to be civ-level positions connected to a site while mayors by contrast are merely site positions.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 10:29:33 am »

I agree with GoblinCookie here: the political thing should open up when you get a baron, with the baron/count/duke as your representative to the political councils.  I also think you should be able to send guards with them to protect them in case they come under attack, which would make quite a bit of sense in such a chaotic and dangerous world.

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 04:23:17 pm »

I always assumed that when your fortress gets promoted to barony/county/duchy, that just meant that it was gaining control over the nearby territory, with the baron/count/duke being the person that manages those lands outside your fort. Presumably when the hill dwarves are implemented, it would be very beneficial to get promoted to the capital of your region.

But anyways, I feel that both the mayors and barons should be summoned to meetings that concern them, because they don't represent the same thing. In medieval times mayors of towns were usually the rich burghers that controlled trade. So the mayors are more like civic/economic powers whereas the barons/counts/dukes and other nobles are military rulers.

kemoT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 04:26:30 am »

I agree with Carp. I think that importance of your "vote" should be based mostly on your wealth, not only position.
Sorry for all grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
I greet
kemoT

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 04:58:43 am »

I agree with Carp. I think that importance of your "vote" should be based mostly on your wealth, not only position.
I don't think there should be a static formula for the way influence would work: instead, a number of variables should be used to credit political influence, including created wealth, population, military strength, export value and so on. And the way those variables interact should be allowed to change, subject to internal, external and random factors -- as an example of an external factor, in peaceful times, economic strength is important and military power might even be considered slightly distasteful, but in times of war, military might starts to take precedence.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 06:58:37 am »

I always assumed that when your fortress gets promoted to barony/county/duchy, that just meant that it was gaining control over the nearby territory, with the baron/count/duke being the person that manages those lands outside your fort. Presumably when the hill dwarves are implemented, it would be very beneficial to get promoted to the capital of your region.

Not so.  All settlements in Dwarf Fortress are completely independant of eachother and answerable only to the minimal central government.  What there is however is a commercial dependance, as a fortress you are always commercially dominant over nearby minor settlements (hillocks, mountain halls, goblin dark pits, human hamlets and the forest retreats designated with an i).

This is completely seperate from political allegiance, indeed it is quite common for folks to trade with nearby kobold caves because these count as major settlement.  But the mechanics for actually trading with these subordinate settlements are not yet in the game though Toady plants to add them in. 

But anyways, I feel that both the mayors and barons should be summoned to meetings that concern them, because they don't represent the same thing. In medieval times mayors of towns were usually the rich burghers that controlled trade. So the mayors are more like civic/economic powers whereas the barons/counts/dukes and other nobles are military rulers.

The problem is that we are not actually in medieval times at all.  Mayors do not control trade, Brokers control trade and while Mayors do appoint Brokers, the only position the Baron appoints is the Champion but the Champion is not in charge of the militery, the Militia Commander is and like nearly all the other positions he is appointed by the Mayor. 

It is heavily implied by the text in which your are first given a baron and by the fact that barons are considered to be civ-level nobles rather than site-level ones that the Baron represents the Central Government.  The deal is that they oversee proceedings at a local level for the sake of the central government but your settlement is formally given a seat at the table.  That is why you appoint a local person to become Baron rather than one being imposed on your from the centre (which is how it works in Feudalism, which DF is not). 

This is why Mayors should not be able to attend councils, if you do not have a Baron you have not been given a seat at the table.

Wealth sent off to the central government not the total wealth produced by your settlement as at present should determine your position.  Holding the higher positions and even having a position at all should be dependant upon your wealth.

The demands made by the central government of your settlement are based upon the total wealth produced by your settlement per annum (not the total amount).  If you meet those demands then you will gain influence with the civilization and the more influence you have the more material support (like grants and help in wars) you get from the central government.  With the sole exception of militery aid in the case on imminant invasion, gaining material support spends your influence.

Gaining positions however should be dependant upon having sent a high value of material support per annum to the central government.  The absolute amount given is what matters, while in the case of influence the fact of having given is what matters.  The amount of given wealth per annum (the per annum is what makes it harder) doubles every time the rank is increased by one.

When you 'vote' the value of your vote is dependant upon your influence X the position you hold (this is not literal voting).  A baron holds a base vote of 1 and this is multiplied by his influence, so if you have a full influence of 100 you get 100 votes with a baron.  As with the material requirements the next rank up the count has double the votes, so 2 votes.  The number of votes is as follows.

Baron: 1
Count: 2
Duke: 4
King: 8*

If the king proposes a bill it is 16 votes.

In order to become the mountainhome you or someone else has to pass a motion to make your fortress the capital.  The present capital's representive, if there is one will naturally always vote against this humiliation.  Additionally if the capital falls, a bill is always proposed by the king to make a new capital which will always be the settlement that would cast the highest vote.  This means that unless a Duke has below 50% influence, he will always beat a Count of 100% influence, since votes are influence X position.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:00:58 am by GoblinCookie »

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 03:31:00 pm »

Not so.  All settlements in Dwarf Fortress are completely independant of eachother and answerable only to the minimal central government.  What there is however is a commercial dependance, as a fortress you are always commercially dominant over nearby minor settlements (hillocks, mountain halls, goblin dark pits, human hamlets and the forest retreats designated with an i).

This is completely seperate from political allegiance, indeed it is quite common for folks to trade with nearby kobold caves because these count as major settlement.  But the mechanics for actually trading with these subordinate settlements are not yet in the game though Toady plants to add them in.

It always annoys me when people try to use the coding for a part of the game that is temporary or at best unfinished as a reason why a suggestion should be invalid. You used this same logic on the first page with your assertion that dwarves are communist, but as somebody else pointed out, that's a temporary thing and they are actually supposed to be feudal. Toady is going to redo the economy eventually, so while they may be basically communist in game as of this version, according to the lore they aren't. Similarly, the way sites work is probably going to change and you shouldn't treat the way that they are coded as some sort of holy word that means this suggestion would contradict the lore and therefor cannot be used.

Toady has said that when he implements hill dwarves we will eventually be able to interact with and control the people living right outside our fort. The way that sites currently work is irrelevant because that could (and probably will) be changed.

The problem is that we are not actually in medieval times at all.

Uh, yes we are. The tech level is supposed to be at around what 1450 was for humans. Dwarf Fortress takes place in your standard high fantasy, medieval setting.

Mayors do not control trade, Brokers control trade and while Mayors do appoint Brokers, the only position the Baron appoints is the Champion but the Champion is not in charge of the militery, the Militia Commander is and like nearly all the other positions he is appointed by the Mayor.

The broker is like the lowly merchant who physically peddles wares to visitors. The mayor is like the rich plutocrat in league with all the other rich business owners in the city. And yes, I know that currently the baron doesn't have much of a military role. However, none of the nobles are really fleshed out at this point. Aside from annoying mandates and demands they currently do nothing, so they very well could end up as military leaders like I imagine them to be. That was how it actually worked historically.

Wealth sent off to the central government not the total wealth produced by your settlement as at present should determine your position.  Holding the higher positions and even having a position at all should be dependant upon your wealth.

The demands made by the central government of your settlement are based upon the total wealth produced by your settlement per annum (not the total amount).  If you meet those demands then you will gain influence with the civilization and the more influence you have the more material support (like grants and help in wars) you get from the central government.  With the sole exception of militery aid in the case on imminant invasion, gaining material support spends your influence.

Gaining positions however should be dependant upon having sent a high value of material support per annum to the central government.  The absolute amount given is what matters, while in the case of influence the fact of having given is what matters.  The amount of given wealth per annum (the per annum is what makes it harder) doubles every time the rank is increased by one.

When you 'vote' the value of your vote is dependant upon your influence X the position you hold (this is not literal voting).  A baron holds a base vote of 1 and this is multiplied by his influence, so if you have a full influence of 100 you get 100 votes with a baron.  As with the material requirements the next rank up the count has double the votes, so 2 votes.  The number of votes is as follows.

Baron: 1
Count: 2
Duke: 4
King: 8*

If the king proposes a bill it is 16 votes.

In order to become the mountainhome you or someone else has to pass a motion to make your fortress the capital.  The present capital's representive, if there is one will naturally always vote against this humiliation.  Additionally if the capital falls, a bill is always proposed by the king to make a new capital which will always be the settlement that would cast the highest vote.  This means that unless a Duke has below 50% influence, he will always beat a Count of 100% influence, since votes are influence X position.

Ah. here I can agree with you. Mostly. While the fort that sends off lots of wealth to the mountainhome should be looked upon more favorably and receive more aid, I think forts with more wealth/military power should still hold a lot of political clout regardless of whether or not they actually contribute much to the central government. Those forts are more of a threat to the monarch, so he would naturally want to keep them happy.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 09:34:06 am »

It always annoys me when people try to use the coding for a part of the game that is temporary or at best unfinished as a reason why a suggestion should be invalid. You used this same logic on the first page with your assertion that dwarves are communist, but as somebody else pointed out, that's a temporary thing and they are actually supposed to be feudal. Toady is going to redo the economy eventually, so while they may be basically communist in game as of this version, according to the lore they aren't. Similarly, the way sites work is probably going to change and you shouldn't treat the way that they are coded as some sort of holy word that means this suggestion would contradict the lore and therefor cannot be used.

The suggestion is invalid because the basis for it does not exist anywhere in the game, which is the only thing that matters.  If Toady One decides to completely redo the political and economic system so that is genuinely feudal THEN comparisons to how things worked in actual feudal system would be applicable. 

What always annoys is when people assert some kind of dualism between 'gameplay mechanics' and 'lore' in order to assert how they think things ought to work.  The ways things are presently coded *is* holy word as to how things actually work and if we are to make assertions about how DF society works then we must work entirely based upon what is presently coded into the game. 

Toady has said that when he implements hill dwarves we will eventually be able to interact with and control the people living right outside our fort. The way that sites currently work is irrelevant because that could (and probably will) be changed.

We will be able to trade with the nearby settlements.  Based upon conversations in Adventure Mode this is already the case for the AI, all Toady One will be doing is bringing what is the case outside of Fortress Mode in Fortress Mode. 

How sites presently work is not irrelevent simply because it may change in the future because you are not the one dictating how it will change. 

Uh, yes we are. The tech level is supposed to be at around what 1450 was for humans. Dwarf Fortress takes place in your standard high fantasy, medieval setting.

Large amounts of technology, for instance metal-working is somewhat more advanced than it was in medieval times in many respects.  At the same time a lot of technology is more primitive, for instance steel is rare and valuable while copper is commonly used for weaponry and armour, something that places us before the Bronze Age. 

Yet none of that actually matters, because technology and society are not the same thing.  Just because a society's technology is pre-modern does not mean the society is inevitably ordered along the exact same lines as a specific pre-modern society. 

The broker is like the lowly merchant who physically peddles wares to visitors. The mayor is like the rich plutocrat in league with all the other rich business owners in the city. And yes, I know that currently the baron doesn't have much of a military role. However, none of the nobles are really fleshed out at this point. Aside from annoying mandates and demands they currently do nothing, so they very well could end up as military leaders like I imagine them to be. That was how it actually worked historically.

Now you are actually flat out lying about how the game works. 

The broker is explicitly the man ultimately in charge of all trade with outside settlements.  The mayor has no more private property than everyone else and is elected by popular vote.  There are no rich buisness owners in your settlement and humans have cities not dwarves. 

I agree with you that the baron is not fleshed out, but as a military leader he is still redundant since that role is present held by the Militia Commander or the General.  Two things lead me to conclude that his proper role is as the settlements representative at the central government, the first of these is that he is considered a Civ-Level noble rather than a Site noble and the second is the text the Outpost Liason gives you when you recieve a baron. 

As I recall your being given a baron means you have been made 'part of the realm'.  Additionally your settlement appoints a 'candidate' and this is always accepted by the king, suggesting that the king's appointing of the baron is essentially a formality.  If you do not want a baron what you say is.

"We would rather keep our distance". 

If you say this there are no repercussions, meaning that your having a baron or not is entirely voluntary.  That you are keeping your distance by not having a baron reveals something about what a baron is supposed to represent.  The baron is the central government's man, in both senses.  He is your man at the central government and he is also the central government's man in your fortress.  By not having him you are choosing to have greater automony in return for loosing influence in the center. 

Contrast this to how things work in the actual feudalism that you are so keen on.  In actual feudalism the baron would arrive with the caravan and the conversation would go like this.

"Hi, the King has made me baron of your fortress,"

Actually it is more likely that your expedition leader would already be a knight who would then be promoted up the feudal ladder as his fortress grows.  The reason is that historically feudal systems were not generally that expansionist in regard to existing non-feudal arrangements like towns, which is a major reason that Capitalism replaced Feudalism historically. 

Ah. here I can agree with you. Mostly. While the fort that sends off lots of wealth to the mountainhome should be looked upon more favorably and receive more aid, I think forts with more wealth/military power should still hold a lot of political clout regardless of whether or not they actually contribute much to the central government. Those forts are more of a threat to the monarch, so he would naturally want to keep them happy.

Read it again, you will find that is already in there.  A sufficiantly higher ranking noble will often get more votes even if his influence is lower than that of a lower-ranking noble. 

It is not a question of militery threat, which is non-issue since civilizations never have civil wars.  It is more a question of the total absolute amount their contributions are worth as opposed to the reliability of those contributions.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 10:02:10 pm »

Are you seriously that clueless about the meanings of "suggestion" and "alpha version"?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 07:13:57 am »

Are you seriously that clueless about the meanings of "suggestion" and "alpha version"?

I am rather clueless as to what you are talking about.  Something about suggestions and the game not being finished.

What I disagreed with was Carp McDwarfEaters attempt to assert that Mayors and Barons should have a specific role in the game because historically they did in medieval society.  It is not that I think that the game is finished, more that Carp was completely ignoring the logic of the existing content actually implemented, asserting that 'in the lore' things actually work like X because of that is how things work in medieval society.  This totally beyond the point because medieval people did not live underground and were not dwarves. 

Carp was not saying, this would be a good idea because of this.  Carp was more saying that dwarves must be organised like this because medieval people were organised like this and whatever is actually the case in the game mechanics things are really like this 'in the lore'.  Carp was therefore retro-arguing for a suggestion based upon statements about a finished product that does not exist. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:09:57 am by GoblinCookie »
Pages: 1 [2]