Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A new modding challenge - Water based civ  (Read 2676 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: A new modding challenge - Water based civ
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 10:30:33 am »

In my egg-laying civs from Furry Fortress, I never actually witnessed an egg hatching.  I think only once did I witness an egg getting fertilized but I'm not entirely sure about it.  Civ females definitely lay eggs, so if you can do some kind of workshop reaction that turns Naga eggs into Naga babies, that's probably the better option.  As for not eating them, most eggs use the EGG_TEMPLATE, maybe you could make an egg that is not actually edible.
Yeah, I thought about fake-eggs and hatchings, but spawning units with dfhack would mean that relationsships dont exist... no father/mother/siblings. I actually wanted to do a tadpole-like spawning process with a pool full of auqatic pet-tadpoles that grow into naga, but again I had that issue with inaccessable 7/7 water.

What about using some kind of excretion?  When they lay an egg, it's just an egg, but if they cry tears or bleed blood, it's marked as So-and-so's tears or So-and-so's blood.  Maybe there's someway you could preserve the owner of the excretion and add it as a relationship.  So a child born from NagaA's tears becomes NagaA's child.   
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 10:47:04 am »

AceSV: That's not really how modding works in this game. ^^

Hugo_The_Dwarf: Havent seen you around in a long time...

Isngrim: VERMIN and PET in reaction works? Interesting. My alternative would have been hives... a hive of eels, colony of jellyfish, etc, but with how DF handles hives, it's not a neat solution.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 01:31:40 pm »

Man, I have no idea how to use DFhack.  How does one actually call a hack script?  Where does one learn to use these tools?
1. Make sure you're running a version of DF with DFHack.  The most obvious sign is a second "console" window while the game is running.
2. Copy the scripts you want to the /raw/scripts folder if they are mod-specific, or /hack/scripts if you want them everywhere.  Be sure to add them to the region save folder too for existing worlds.
2. Type the name of the script and its parameters into the console window, like a command line interface.

DFHack supports Lua (.lua) and Ruby (.rb) scripts.  Writing scripts means delving into the esoteric "DF Structures" to find the name of a metal, the size of a creature, the ID of a civilization, etc.  If you want to experience the insanity of Toady's world as a molecular level, select a unit during a running game and type gui/gm-editor into the console.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 01:38:20 pm »

Man, I have no idea how to use DFhack.  How does one actually call a hack script?  Where does one learn to use these tools?
1. Make sure you're running a version of DF with DFHack.  The most obvious sign is a second "console" window while the game is running.
2. Copy the scripts you want to the /raw/scripts folder if they are mod-specific, or /hack/scripts if you want them everywhere.  Be sure to add them to the region save folder too for existing worlds.
2. Type the name of the script and its parameters into the console window, like a command line interface.

DFHack supports Lua (.lua) and Ruby (.rb) scripts.  Writing scripts means delving into the esoteric "DF Structures" to find the name of a metal, the size of a creature, the ID of a civilization, etc.  If you want to experience the insanity of Toady's world as a molecular level, select a unit during a running game and type gui/gm-editor into the console.

But DFhack must not require manually entering in console to work.  Like the script Meph mentioned, AddPetToCiv, there must be a way to make the game call that during worldgen or something, right? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 01:42:24 pm »

Yeah VERMIN/PET stuff was always something I didn't want to dabble with, as my concern of all the ways those creature/itemtypes can be stored and since it's caste specific (??? I also thought it didn't actually follow it right, I think even ENTITY things like [CREATURE_ALLOWED] doesn't work correctly however [CLASS_ALLOWED] worked better for say forcing a caste into a entity position (but that's off-topic)

Colonies would be interesting as they would appear on the ground instead of say the sea lol and beekeepers building hives of jellyfish. But I guess what needs to be done must be done.

I'd say worse case scenario that a custom workshop be made, that requires food or something that has a chance not to be consumed, and some working gear (protective gloves, now since they are Naga they may naturally have scales or resistance to said toxins from these creatures) and use a skill that they cannot learn (to make it slow and can't be perfected to run faster or have a crazy fast rust rate)
-So take food to workshop + other materials (jars, barrels for collection)
-Rare chance to fill container with desired material (jellyfish venom, Eel milk)
-Chance to get food back (45%)(optional could involve feeding the animals and getting a return while they are occupied depends if want to be able to reuse food a few times or like I just mentioned could be a full on feed)
-Skill is one they can't learn (so it's always as slow as it can, no skill is instant completion so that is not an option, same with no reagent(or would just having a jar be enough? with a super rare chance to fill it so it seems it's taking the worker a really long time to acquire the result?)

That's my 2 cents for a workaround but then it leads to:
-How does the workshop magically have said jelly-fish/eels (inside a desert as Naga farming jelly fish that you didn't even bring with you, unless make a special trade only item called "jelly-fish spawn" or the like and have it as a building requirement)
-If there is no cost and just takes time how are these creatures surviving (currently vermin don't need to eat so technically these pretend creatures don't need to eat either)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 03:23:22 pm »

But DFhack must not require manually entering in console to work.  Like the script Meph mentioned, AddPetToCiv, there must be a way to make the game call that during worldgen or something, right?
Yes, there are some .init files that automatically run at various points (when the game launches, when a map loads, etc.).  You can think of them as batch files... command line after command line executed in order.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 [2]