Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making fire  (Read 2186 times)

mardouille

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making fire
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:45:11 pm »

Simple suggestion: I want to make fires in dwarf fortress mode. I don't care how, I don't want to pump magma to burn things.

Fire traps would be nice, alcoholic bombs would be fun too.

Designating a fire like we dig would rock.

Has this been nodded before?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Making fire
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:46:43 pm »

There was a mod before using a special material which automatically combusted when created via a custom reaction, setting anything in the space on fire.

Found it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58806.0

No idea if it would still work

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 06:07:16 pm »

I know this is an old thread, but I came here to make the same suggestion, so i'll bump this up. Fire has always been one of the hallmarks of humanity (and since this is dwarf fortress we'll just expand it by analogy to all sentient and creative beings). The idea that fire has to be lit through particularly complicated ways like bringing magma up from the depths of the earth seems a far stretch from reality (which a great game like this is certainly grounded in). Being able to designate a tile to "kindle fire" seems like an entirely reasonable feature in DF. It would make for some fun early traps that wouldn't be nearly as potent as magma but still quite enjoyable and certainly not without opportunities for FUN. I'm just thinking about how truly neighborly it would be to create a wood stock pile in the entrance way and then gives the elves a very informative and up close demonstration of just what the dwarves do with most of the wood we harvest.

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 07:57:27 pm »

This was listed as planned somewhere in the development goals, under the phrase "ability to set a tile or item on fire."  Not quite sure which page that was, though. 

(Edit)Looked over the main Development list and found something slightly promising. 

Military

Dwarven armies
        (...)
        Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site

Weird, because I'm fairly sure that was where I found the plans for designating a tile to be set on fire. 

I seem to remember reading about a list of "core goals," "power goals," etc.  Any ideas where those got to?  Or is the Development page its replacement?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:17:56 pm by Tristan Alkai »

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:15:10 pm »

Here:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Designation to set item or tile on fire in dwarf mode

I'm guessing this might be implemented when light is.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:16:54 pm by Deboche »

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 03:13:47 am »

This needs to happen, then i can burn garbage dumps.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 07:26:24 am »

Wouldn't magma be better for most items?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 10:44:02 am »

Well magma won't just disappear after the garbage is done burning.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 08:55:53 pm »

Here:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Designation to set item or tile on fire in dwarf mode

I'm guessing this might be implemented when light is.

I checked the page again and still can't find it.  What section was this in? 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 09:15:48 pm »

ctrl+f "fire"

under "Breaking into fortified locations" under "Adventurer Role: Hero"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 12:27:33 am »

Magma-proof floor grate (block items) + door / raising bridge blocking the tile below. Bridge can atom-smash the magma if you don't mind losing it, or you could pump it back out. Actually, you could just pump it back out without the drain setup. Drain is ideal for a minecart setup.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:38:32 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 08:34:09 am »

Magma-proof floor grate (block items) + door / raising bridge blocking the tile below. Bridge can atom-smash the magma if you don't mind losing it, or you could pump it back out. Actually, you could just pump it back out without the drain setup. Drain is ideal for a minecart setup.
I don't even bother setting up pump stacks for useful things like magma forges. I'd never bother with the time investment just for garbage disposal. Its impractical and dangerous, which is very dwarven but still not worth the effort.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 04:39:01 pm »

Yeah, in my mind that sort of highlights the reason we ought to just be able to light a fire. While it is very dwarfy to do all that, it's a ridiculous amount of effort just to burn a pile of trash.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 08:21:47 pm »

Yeah, in my mind that sort of highlights the reason we ought to just be able to light a fire. While it is very dwarfy to do all that, it's a ridiculous amount of effort just to burn a pile of trash.
It wouldn't work on fire-safe materials, though. Usually people burn stuff to sort the goblinite from the impurities. If you're just trying to dispose of trash, a drawbridge works much better. If you wanted to burn items into usable ash, you'd use a workshop reaction instead of a real fire.

Practical uses for fire I can think of: Burning enemies, burning elves, burning trees, suffocating the aforementioned (not implemented), creating light (not implemented), temperature sorting, and (less dwarfy) cremation.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 08:26:12 pm by Bumber »

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 11:09:41 pm »

It wouldn't work on fire-safe materials, though. Usually people burn stuff to sort the goblinite from the impurities. If you're just trying to dispose of trash, a drawbridge works much better. If you wanted to burn items into usable ash, you'd use a workshop reaction instead of a real fire.

That's the thing, i want to keep all the metal items but just burn away all the corpses and (Troll fur loincloth)'s. Plus accessing magma is very difficult. If we can build wood furnaces i wish we could simply light a fire through designation or mechanism.