Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bustraven - Spreading Dwarven Might (Story Fortress, DF 0.42.01)  (Read 1659 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bustraven - Spreading Dwarven Might (Story Fortress, DF 0.42.01)
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:51:07 pm »

"The humans have began to spread over the world and conquering the most profitable areas. If we, the dwarves, want to stay ahead of them in terms of power, we must leave our beloved Mountain Home and start spreading the our civilization to land beyond these sturdy gates. The task will be hard, many dwarves will die, but we can't let the humans, or elves, take the control over the world. And you, my brave subjects, you seven are chosen to establish our new outpost to the world above. Stay strong, stay brave and perhaps you will earn the eternal gratitude of mine and your fellow dwarves.
- Adil Ìtdúnkib, King of The Murky Boots

Welcome to Bustraven, a story fortress using the new version of Dwarf Fortress (0.42.01)!

This fortress is played as pure as possible, without any mods, tilesets or external tools. This fortress is also my very first run with the new version, so there will be lots of features and bugs to discover. Also, since I have been in hiatus from the game quite long, my skills with it will be a bit rusty. But that's okay, more FUN! is guaranteed!

While this will be a story fort, and thus I will be controlling the whole thing, you are allowed to claim a dwarf in the fortress. Due the lack of any tools, however, I will restrict the choices you can make to gender, name and general profession. I will also reserve the rights to add extra jobs to claimed dwarves if I see fit, though I try to follow the requests as well as possible.

The only "modification" I made to the game was disabling aquifers, since I don't find myself ready to deal with those just yet. Otherwise, no modifications outside of general settings from INIT -files. Also, all the features are enabled right from the beginning (weather, temperature, invaders and so on). I will try to keep this fortress going as long as humanly possible, though it may very well be that it's going to be a short one due possible (or inevitable) bugs.

Embark Information

The starting group consist of two miners (Mining, Engraving), carpenter (Carpenter, Wood cutting), crafter (Stone Crafting, Wood Crafting, Bone Crafting, Gem Cutting, Gem Setting), farmer (Grower, Brewer, Cook, Butcher, Tanner), mason (Masonry, Building Design, Mechanisms) and leader (Record Keeping, Appraising, various social skills).

The embark location has access to stream and there are humans, elves and goblins nearby:

And the starting equipment:

Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bustraven - Spreading Dwarven Might (Story Fortress, DF 0.42.01)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 04:51:28 pm »

List of Dwarves:

Ral Nightabbeys (F) - Butcher / Tanner / Grower / Cook / Brewer
Zûntir "Yokin" Granitechasm (M) - Miner / Engraver  -- Claimed by Yoink!
Mebzuth Smithrocks (M) - Miner / Engraver
Olin "Daeron" Stilledrocks (F) - Mason / Mechanic / Building Designer  -- Claimed by Daniel the Finlander!
Onget Coppercraft (F) - Expedition Leader  -- Reserved!         
Onol "Gamedragon" Steellantern (M) - Stone Crafter / Wood Crafter / Bone Carver / Gem Setter / Gem Cutter   -- Claimed by Gamedragon!
Ducim Treatyhopes (F) - Wood Cutter / Carpenter

Bèmbul Frillflags (F) - Armorsmith
Vabôk Lenshail (F) - Fisherdwarf
Udil Dashworked (F) - Mason / Bone Carver / Wounder Dresser / Suturer / Dyer
Edëm Merchantdistance (M) - Tanner / Grower / Furnace Operator / Wax Worker
Ònul Manorhale (M) - Diagnostician / Papermaker
Avuz Oakenfigure (F) - Bone Carver

Waiting for Dwarf
Sanctume, Macedwarf
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:00:16 pm by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 05:14:01 pm »

Request dorf to be the first macedwarf.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:07:54 am »

Acknowledged. Do you want male or female?
I don't have any soldiers in the fortress right now, but I will give you one as soon as I can.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 04:57:47 am »

I'd like to claim the crafter as Gamedragon, and request that when you get a library up and running I become a Scholar.

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 05:19:47 am »

I claim that mason guy, gal, Olin. Nickname her 'Daeron'.

I, too, would like to become a scholar.
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 06:26:19 am »

Can I please claim Mr. Granitechasm, with the nickname Yokin?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 06:39:29 am »

All requests have been fulfilled! Well, every one except Sanctume's since we don't have mace dwarves yet... ;)
My plan is to get the first story update out later today, which may be a tad boring since it's the early stages. And I usually find early stages a bit dull, so I may be focusing more on character development storywise...

Oh, as you may have noticed already, I won't be updating the stats (thoughts, skill levels, preferences and so forth) for every dwarf outside the story, mostly because it will be huge task to take screenshot(s) of skills and thoughts of 100+ dwarves in later stages. I know this since I have tried it, just too much hassle with relatively little gain. But if you want to see the skills and thoughts of your dwarf, just ask and I will probably post them here. Just don't do it too often, like every day or so.

Also, besides the Expedition Leader, I do try to stick with the personalities given by the game. I may cut some corners and alternate things a bit, though those could always fall under "the expedition leader misunderstood my personality" since I'm using the diary format, which is the one I'm most comfort with.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 12:57:03 pm »

Acknowledged. Do you want male or female?
I don't have any soldiers in the fortress right now, but I will give you one as soon as I can.

No preference on gender, just mace weapon. Thanks :)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 01:05:03 pm »

All requests have been fulfilled! Well, every one except Sanctume's since we don't have mace dwarves yet... ;)
My plan is to get the first story update out later today, which may be a tad boring since it's the early stages. And I usually find early stages a bit dull, so I may be focusing more on character development storywise...

Oh, as you may have noticed already, I won't be updating the stats (thoughts, skill levels, preferences and so forth) for every dwarf outside the story, mostly because it will be huge task to take screenshot(s) of skills and thoughts of 100+ dwarves in later stages. I know this since I have tried it, just too much hassle with relatively little gain. But if you want to see the skills and thoughts of your dwarf, just ask and I will probably post them here. Just don't do it too often, like every day or so.

Also, besides the Expedition Leader, I do try to stick with the personalities given by the game. I may cut some corners and alternate things a bit, though those could always fall under "the expedition leader misunderstood my personality" since I'm using the diary format, which is the one I'm most comfort with.

dfhack has "forum-dwarves" which saves the description in BBcode text.  You have to select the dwarf and view their thoughts description. u-q (search)-enter-v (view)-enter.  Then alt-tab to the dfhack console and type "forum-dwarves", or up-arrow if you previously used it. 

The result will be appended to the plain text file "forum-dwarves.(txt?)" in the df.exe folder.

I find it easier to do that, than to post image in imgur.  But definitely not all dwarves, lol.

But if you're comfortable with imgur, you can use Windows Snip Tools (or other apps) to capture a portion of the window into the clipboard and you can paste directly into imgur, then copy the bbcode link and paste it your post here. 

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 01:45:39 pm »

dfhack has "forum-dwarves" which saves the description in BBcode text.  You have to select the dwarf and view their thoughts description. u-q (search)-enter-v (view)-enter.  Then alt-tab to the dfhack console and type "forum-dwarves", or up-arrow if you previously used it. 

The result will be appended to the plain text file "forum-dwarves.(txt?)" in the df.exe folder.

I find it easier to do that, than to post image in imgur.  But definitely not all dwarves, lol.

But if you're comfortable with imgur, you can use Windows Snip Tools (or other apps) to capture a portion of the window into the clipboard and you can paste directly into imgur, then copy the bbcode link and paste it your post here.

Didn't actually know about that plug-in. Not that surprising since I have been on hiatus something like a year. Does it work with the new release?

I personally use Photobucket to store the images and Screenshot to capture them. It's far better than default snipping tool.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 02:49:36 pm »

15th of Granite, Year 100

We have finally arrived to our destination. The scout reports indicate that this would be a good spot for a new outpost, with water available to power our pumps, proper soil for growing food and enough trees to our forges until we find proper source of fuel, which of course is magma. However, we don't actually know whether there are any valuable minerals available in this site, but the stories of riches of nearby human villages gives us hope.

I'm not sure about the group I was assigned to yet, I haven't actually had any serious conversation with anybody thus far. I think they try to avoid me as much as they can since they know that I'm going to be their boss here. The king said we should feel honoured to be assigned to such an important task. Well, I call that bullshit! I say we are just expendable assets and it wouldn't be a huge loss to our civilization if we perish. Otherwise the King would have sent some soldiers with us. Or even some of more skilled workers! But no, we are just a bunch of middle class dwarves whose future wouldn't have been glorious back in Mountain Home.

I already sent a message back to Mountain Home that we have arrived to our location. The King promised that, if everything goes well, we should receive more dwarves before too soon. Hopefully that promise holds because otherwise we won't have much of a chance.

16th of Granite, Year 100

The work for our new home has already begun. I ordered Smithrocks and Granitechasm to start mining the entrance, while Treatyhopes is cutting down the trees so that we can get some wood to work with.

We don't have any actual major plans of how we should establish the outpost, it was left to us to decide how to use the land. But I do have some ideas what we must do. First of all, we need the entrance, which is currently under work. Secondly, we need to have some sort of wall around the entrance so that we have some safety until proper storage areas are ready. After all, I don't want to loose any of our precious equipment or supplies to wildlife. Thirdly, we really need to get the food production going. So long as we have no farming area set, Nightabbeys is idling near the wagon. Note to myself: make sure that Stilledrocks, our mason, doesn't get any ideas of stealing food or beer. Until we have proper food production going, I must ration all our supplies to make sure everybody has enough. And Stilledrocks has tendency of not respecting rules and society. Or that's what I have heard from other dwarves.

23rd of Granite, Year 100

The construction progress surprisingly well, Treatyhopes has just finished building a crude wall around the entrance, made from wood. I know, proper dwarven way would have been to construct the wall from stone, preferably from stone blocks, but we just can't be too picky right now. Also, the miners have finished with the entrance tunnel and are now moving the work with second floor, where the farms will be placed.

I'm actually a bit surprised how smoothly everything has gone so far. Hopefully our luck holds...

14th of Slate, Year 100

Our miners, Yokin and Smithrocks, have finally finished mining out crude farming area, and Nightabbeys is planting the first seed as I write this update. While we do have lots of different kind of seeds available, thanks to generous merchants back in Mountain Home, I decided to go with plump helmets for now. The reason is that, while being edible, plump helmets can also be used to make alcohol, something we really need. It will take some time before we can get our brewing operation going, and I'm not too sure whether we have enough people to turn it efficient.

Right now the miners are working with some storage areas for our food and drinks, hopefully the project is finished soon so that they can start to mine dormitory, dining hall and, most importantly, a proper office for me.

20th of Felsite, Year 100

It took over a month but finally we have all our food hauled inside to safety, which is good. I was kind of fearing of spoiling if those were left outside for too long. Or thievery, we never know what may lurk out there.

Speaking of lurking, so far we have only seen few wild boars outside. Otherwise, the area seems to be quiet. Too quiet for my liking. Where are the animals? Not even a bird has been seen since we arrived here.

By the way, our miners finally found solid rock down there. They actually had to dig pretty deep, I think it was something like fifth floor where they finally discovered some microcline and granite. I hate microcline, that colour just makes me nauseous. Hopefully Daeron, our mason, doesn't use that to make the essential furniture...

Well, at least we have solid rock now, which means we can finally have some decent rooms for dining, sleeping and offices...

22nd of Felsite, Year 100

By the name of Armok, we are just got lucky! Yokin reported that they had found a vein of native silver!

This is very good news indeed, silver products are considered very expensive back in Mountain Home, and even humans are eager to get stuff made from it. This could actually prove our King that this outpost deserves more workers and is worth of holding.

22nd of Hematite, Year 100

It has been some time since my previous update. I just haven't felt the need of write anything, mostly because nothing worth of mentioning has happened. Well, at least until today, when Gamedragon, our crafter, spotted dwarves heading towards our outpost! I ran outside to see it myself and it was true; there were dwarves travelling towards our meager outpost.

Six dwarves in total had been sent to help us establishing the outpost. Now, I actually appreciate certain choises the King had made. For example, Frillflags is very good armorsmith and Manorhale has some decent skills with diagnosing patients. Combined with the fact that Dashworked has some knowledge of dressing wounds and suturing, I think we have at least partially healthcare covered. Now, what I do find interesting is that Dashworked is actually bone carver, not doctor. I wonder whether these two have connection?

They also brought some animals with them. I would really love to order Nightabbeys to butcher those, but I think the owners wouldn't appreciate that. Oh well, at least we have some backup if our farms don't provide enough food...

By the way, I'm actually surprised none of the dwarves who arrived actually had any skills in fighting. Is the King actually thinking that we can protect this outpost without proper soldiers?

5th of Malachite, Year 100

Yokin reported that they have finished mining a dining hall, dormitory and my personal quarters. Yes, I saw it only right to have proper quarters while everybody else will sleep in the dormitory. I am, after all, the leader of this expedition!

I ordered the construction of furniture, only to find out that we didn't have any area designated for industry! Why did I forgot that? Without area for workshops, we won't have any furniture nor stuff to sell. Well, at least that explains why I have seen Daeron hanging around the wagon pretty often. I decided to fix this neglect immediately and ordered the miners to dig out an area for workshops and storage rooms. Storage rooms are more important since we really need to get everything inside as soon as possible.

10th of Limestone, Year 100

Out of nowhere, the liaison from Mountain Home appeared at our entrance. I was very surprised to see her, didn't think the King would send one this soon. But what surprised me even more was the fact that she had been travelling with a caravan, which was intended to come here to do some trading. Unfortunately we don't have any trading depot ready, so the caravan left almost immediately after they realized that. Oh well, no trading this year then. Of course, we didn't have anything sell, so there wouldn't have been any trading anyway...

Just as the caravan was leaving, they spotted few capybaras outside the entrance. And as any bloodthirsty caravan guard would do, they immediately attacked those pathetic creatures. To my surprise, Daeron and Treatyhopes joined the fight. Treatyhopes did some damage with her axe, but what surprised me even more was Daeron; her punches were very lethal, though she didn't actually kill any of the capybaras, since the caravan guards took care of the finishing blows. Still, I'm pretty proud of her, she acted immediately and didn't hesitate at all. We need dwarves like that here.

When she returned, I noticed some bad bruises in her head. She tried to shrug it off but I'm going to send her to Manorhale as soon as the dormitory has beds.

The meeting with liaison went well, though there weren't any important news to be told. She was basically checking us out so that we could make some special orders for the next caravan. I was actually unable to think of anything we would need immediately, besides more dwarves, so I didn't make any requisitions. Before leaving she promised to come back next year, at least if she was still in the job.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 05:14:51 pm »

You could dorf me if you want. I'll take any migrant, Male. I would prefer some scholary type when you get a library set up, but I could do with any other artistic jobs (even engraver or mason if you need those). But I'm not relly that picky about whatever job I get. As long as I'm not cannon fodder. :v

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 05:42:08 pm »

Can I have the first scribe you got ?
And name him Archibald. It's a cool name, Archibald.