Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

help! I cant get this poll to open again!

If you can help, PM me!
- 0 (0%)
IF you cant, then dont PM mE.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 25, 2015, 04:57:24 am

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: The saga of Ginetolon, the Crewedgears (succesion) desperate for players!  (Read 37894 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: The saga of Ginetolon, the Crewedgears (succesion)
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 11:27:57 am »

if salmeuk dosnt respond by the 3rd of march 2015 i will be forced to skip his turn.

Please post something, Salmeuk!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Drokles

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok hates us unconditionally
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 04:38:11 am »

-ignore-

this is still happening make it stop
On the rare occasions where this fort isnt under siege, wood cutting and hauling is our ultimate priority.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 04:39:23 am »

Hey now! I've been working on my turn and should have something by tomorrow. It's only been 5 days :P

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 08:17:50 am »

ok sorry

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 09:47:56 am »

Everyone had seen it coming, the end of Gwolfski's command. He had spent Crewedgear's first year rather foolishly, attending to pet projects and dangerously tinkering with the natural flow of the river's course. After community outrage boiled over due to multiple preventable deaths he had decided to step back and appoint a successor.

While his resignation was predictable, no one could figure out who he would appoint to the position of Overseer. Talon, resident legendary miner, was a popular bet. He was friends with most and displayed the intense courage that dwarfs appreciate in a leader. So, too, was the engraver, seemingly Gwolfski's closest and most trusted friend.

So when Gwolfski appointed Salmeuk, the lonely carpenter who's only friend was a skittish cat, the rest of the dwarfs were shocked. Who was Salmeuk again? THE CARPENTER? What skills did he bring to the position of overseer, beyond his ability to accurately estimate forest reserves and to craft wooden furniture? Gwolfski calmed them, as best a twilight leader could.

He told them of the late night meeting where Salmeuk outlined a detailed system to promote individual organization and fortress growth. Gwolfski had secretly viewed this as a great way to step away from his much maligned position of leadership and still maintain a slight grip on the reigns, while still appeasing any calls for his removal.

The summarized plan, or "The Five Paths" as Salmuek introduced it, follows.
  • 1. Establish efficient and expandable food production
  • 2. Create functional living spaces to meet the needs of our immediate community
  • 3. Outline a military hierarchy and begin training the leadership
  • 4. Centralize the fortress layout, increasing crafting efficiency
  • 5. Construct adequate surface defenses in the form of walls and moats

Whether or not we would accomplish these quests would soon become known.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gwolfski the Founder:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Salmeuk the Overseer:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4th Granite
One of the farmers was promoted into a crossbow-wielding minion today. She has moderate skill, but that still places her high and above anyone else in the fortress. She goes by 'Maxcat' and can usually be found target shooting.

Maxcat the Minion:

She keeps telling us that she shot a parrot. I think she's proud or something? She wouldn't stop, though, so we told her to go 'practice shooting rocks or something.'

Later, Gwolfski showed us a picture of a Kakapo in one of his loose-leaf animal encyclopedias.

Congratulations Maxcat, you've killed one of the least threatening creatures on this planet. What amounts to a flying avocado.

17th Granite
Some elven traders arrived today, but they soon left after Gwolfski told them we had nothing to trade.

19th Granite
Kubok's son, Bomrek, has taken over a craftsdwarfs workshop in some sort of strange mood. He's only grabbed a single stone, however - no one thinks his little project will succeed.

2nd Slate
These dwarves arrived today:
1 Bowyer
1 Animal Dissector
1 Marksdwarf
1 Glazer
1 Mason
7 Children

Our total population being 34, that means just under half the fortress is made up of children. Our hands were fairly full beforehand, and with another mass of idle mouths we're questioning how to simply feed everyone.

The Marksdwarf was placed in the same squad as Maxcat. The mason was instructed to make stone blocks, and the others were told to bring the rest of the wood into our stockrooms. The children began eating.

3rd Slate
Bomrek was found collapsed in the workshop today, after working on his creation for over a week without stopping to rest or eat. Neither of his parents (nor any other dwarf who tried) could wrest him from the carving bench before this point, and so as we rushed to the workshop we feared his death. To our surprise, he was pulled from the shop still breathing, and clutching a carved rock bracelet of legendary design!

It was utterly immaculate, yet because it was made from but a single chunk of kaolinite the bracelet was also nearly worthless. And immediately after this amazing act of creative power, Bomrek went right back to being useless.

14th Slate
Tulon Chantmine has begun expanding our food production level. He hacks away the soft loam in huge chunks, easily doubling our food storage and production shops. Next up is a dining hall.

29th Slate
Work is coming along nicely on the tower. The floor is almost finished, and once we get some glass stockpiled the construction should be finished relatively quickly.

And so, Spring has come to an end. Unmentioned progress includes extending the 3x3 stairway to a depth of 50 z-levels (without piercing a single cavern!), constructing a diorite block wall on the surface, terraforming the nearby cliffs to later place a bridge, and the establishment of a marble mine. Masons have already begun carving those pure, white marble dining tables that dwarfs can't resist admiring. The fortress is growing, and so too the spirits of the dwarves within.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:40:10 pm by Salmeuk »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 12:11:20 pm »

END of my command? oh no, this is just a short break. Just thinking about removing me you filthy maggots nice people?
I will return to power! and by then my slaves will have finished making the fortress powerfull mwahaha!!! those who died you ask? why, they stood in the way of progress!

*crazy scribbling showing dorf skulls*

also, i request a bed in my office and a private coffin. If you perform my wishes, you shall be justly rewarded. If not... well, lets just say it won't be pleasant and will involve magma... (when we find it)

plans:

He had spent Crewedgear's first year rather foolishly, attending to pet projects and dangerously tinkering with the natural flow of the river's course.

what pet projects?
how is providing a safe water source foolish?
*boiling at 100000000000Urist due to anger*
+Gwolfski cancels sanity: rage mode activate+
+Gwolfski has entered rage mode!+
+Salmeuk cancels foolishness: interrupted by Gwolfski+
+Salmeuk has been struck down+

BTW. WHY is everydorf dorfed so far female ?!?

We must have some fantastic killing grounds schools to attract so many worthless unproductive beardless elves children

17th Granite
Some elven traders arrived today, but they soon left after Gowlfski told them we had nothing to trade.

mind your typos!!

-----

on a completely different note, I am making an excel file-thingy for making df maps. who wants to get it?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:36:41 pm by Gwolfski »

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 01:48:49 pm »

I'd like the next unclaimed turn, if possible.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 01:51:42 pm »

I'd like the next unclaimed turn, if possible.
ok turn 7

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 04:18:55 pm »

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Your Grand Soaper isn't in the fort yet? What is this madness?!

Good going though, guys. Looking forward to the shenanigans of the upcoming seasons.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 04:35:19 pm »

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Your Grand Soaper isn't in the fort yet? What is this madness?!

Good going though, guys. Looking forward to the shenanigans of the upcoming seasons.

well, get Salmeuk to get one or hope for a migrant. I spent all my time making the fortress livable and satisfying basic needs.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 11:30:25 pm »

3rd Malachite
We discovered a vein of emeralds in the marble mine. The mysterious green glow was spotted by Tulon Chantmines, who proceeded to carefully carve away the surrounding marble. Only 4 chunks of the raw gem were salvaged, but those should be worth quite a bit once we have someone polish them up.

14th Malachite
Things have been slow. A single migrant appeared today, a rather unimpressive farmer by the name of Vutok.

He was told to get to work building walls. He seemed proficient enough, if somewhat bewildered by the erratic state of our fortress.

Most production takes place on this level, where objects of nearly every category are strewn about and make it difficult to move back and forth. Ingenious design dictates that this level is probably our most heavily pathed, leading to a rather disastrous combination.

18th Malachite
Medtob Papercrushes suddenly abandoned his mason's bench today, leaving his chisel embedded in a half-complete siltstone block. No sooner had he stepped out, however, did he return to the bench. Nearby masons remarked they saw his eye glowing with a fiery passion: he was most likely possessed by some creative spirit. What might he create?

16th Galena
Terrible events occurred today, and it all began when our brewer noticed strange movements in the shrubs nearby our pasture. We keep multiple livestock there, and Ber (the brewer) thought nothing of it. It was already too late, of course, but perhaps Ber could have saved one of the children had he known of the threat sooner. . .

The orange blur rushed out from the undergrowth, and with a hissing roar seized Edzul, a rather portly child who liked to play nearby the field of water buffalo. In the time it took Ber to register this creature's appearance, the weremonitor had managed to rend the poor child into pieces. Edzul's final screams were in vain:

Onget, an average child and son of the planter, was next. His death was quick and as merciful as such a death could be, his head caved in by the striking fist of the beast.

The dwarves knew where to hide: inside, past the cage traps and retractable bridge. The dying screams of Edzul had alerted everyone on the surface, and they had managed to scamper inside. No one had retracted the bridge, however. They had to put their faith into the cage traps lining the entrance.

The creature didn't even pay heed to the intricate mechanisms! Vutok, the poor soul and newest migrant to the fortress, was unaware of the commotion and had been heading topside to collect some firewood.

He was swiftly murdered, despite getting a few good punches in.

Apparently, quite a few dwarves hadn't understood the orders to stay inside. Doren Boatsrack obliviously popped his head above ground, probably on his way to build a wall. He was immediately struck in the chest with a powerful blow - the orange-scaled weremonitor had amazing reflexes.

Following close behind Doren was Tulon, our legendary miner! Unlike Doren, he was prepared for a fight. Not very well-prepared, apparently, because just like Doren a strong blow to the chest awaited him at the surface. This blow was strong and true, landing squarely on his chest. Tulon crumpled to the floor, unmoving - the strike had severed a crucial nerve halfway down Tulon's spine.

However, as the creature prepared again to strike Tulon, the scales began to soften and it's stature rapidly shrunk. In the space of a few seconds the lumbering, reptilian beast had transformed back into a skinny-armed human. This cowardly creature's first impulse was to escape, but as he jumped past grasping hands he landed onto a waiting cage trap. His otherworldly trap resistance gone, he was promptly captured and the threat was contained.

Tulon died soon afterwards, his last words a chilling wail that shocked all who heard.

Two Children dead. Two dwarves dead. One badly injured. We desperately need to finish these walls.

27th Galena

The dead were buried today, nothing else to be said. Ill omens bring this Summer to a close.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:38:46 pm by Salmeuk »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 11:36:02 pm »

well, get Salmeuk to get one or hope for a migrant. I spent all my time making the fortress livable and satisfying basic needs.

hope for a migrant

a migrant

You know, if you hadn't said this I bet we would have gotten more migrants this last wave. Instead, we were given a single planter.

Also, it seems I forgot to resize some of the images. Let's fix that.

Do you really, desperately want that ugly chunk of dirt and kaolinite as your bedroom? I could move you to a much nicer location complete with stone floors and even more space!

BTW. WHY is everydorf dorfed so far female ?!?

I really don't know. It seems like no matter how hard I try, the dwarf that best fits my needs for overseer always ends up being a girl! It's easy enough to ignore if you really want to write from a male perspective.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:44:40 pm by Salmeuk »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 02:08:23 pm »

Do you really, desperately want that ugly chunk of dirt and kaolinite as your bedroom? I could move you to a much nicer location complete with stone floors and even more space!

yes i do!

i mined it myself!

(i mean it. i assigned myself to the room with a burrow and dug it myself!)

though if you could, put OAK WOOD on the dirt floors, and engrave the walls( walls only, not the floors)
blueprints:
AND it's my office!

remember to fill my pond!!!!

The creature didn't even pay heed to the intricate mechanisms! Vutok, the poor soul and newest migrant to the fortress, was unaware of the commotion and had been heading topside to collect some firewood.

werebeasts are trap-avoid! I would have known that and forbiden the door while somebody blocked off the halway, BTW, did you link the bridge and the lever?

on a different note, i have overheard this conversation between salmeuk and our resident Mechanic :

"I've always wondered," Salmeuk said, "How do those mechanisms work?"

"Well, I put one here on the lever, and the other on the bridge," explained Rigoth. "When someone pulls the lever, the bridge goes up."

"Yes, but how? How does the one at the bridge know the lever's been pulled?"

"It's quantum. Quantum tanglement. See how this one's all tangled with the lever? Well, the other's tangled with the bridge."

"What does that have to do with quantum?"

"There's one of them, see? That's what quantum means, is one."

"But there's two."

"Yah, two ones. And they're tangled."

Salmeuk thought for a moment.

"I'm not sure that's how it works."

"Well, don't check. It might stop."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:32:34 pm by Gwolfski »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 02:32:10 pm »

Monitor lizard from Gwolfski's loose-leaf animal encyclopedia:
    A medium-sized reptile. They can be found foraging for food such as eggs or worms. They are said to be the most intelligent of their kind.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:37:26 pm by Gwolfski »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 03:49:51 pm »

Wow, the usual gangs all here... I would like a turn, please  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20