Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

help! I cant get this poll to open again!

If you can help, PM me!
- 0 (0%)
IF you cant, then dont PM mE.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 25, 2015, 04:57:24 am

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: The saga of Ginetolon, the Crewedgears (succesion) desperate for players!  (Read 37852 times)

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The saga of Ginetolon, the Crewedgears (succesion)
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2015, 04:27:58 pm »

OK, what the fuck?  WHAT THE FUCK? WHO THE HELL DESIGNED THIS?

i did...

It wasn't really your fault, the actual cause of all those deaths was a combination of the Minotaur, an untimely arrival of elven merchants, and dwarves stupidity.

You see, the front gate was closed because of the Minotaur, and I didn't realize that.  When the elven merchants arrived, they took the only other open path to the trade depot, through the river near the waterfall.

As a side note, that is probably how the bronze colossus got in, assuming that it actually was an accident and not the overseer opening the gates for it (that's what I did in Shadowgraves).

Anyway, the elves fell down the waterfall, and a few dwarves decided to pick up what was left of their supplies, causing them to fall too.

This made me think that the area was much more heavily trafficked than it actually was, so I decided to build the wall to stop it.

By the time I realized the only reason people died there was because the front gate was closed, like 8 or 9 dwarves had already died building it, so I decided to finish it anyway.

So if you want to blame someone, blame the Minotaur, whose arrival caused a chain reaction that led to the deaths of a quarter of Crewedgears adult population.

Also, I couldn't get you a mechanic for your dorf, since as I said earlier, our only mechanic died in the bloodfall chasm incident.  You are being trained in a sword and crossbow, though.

PsychoAngel: I'm pretty sure that dwarf survived, and he will be drafted when I start playing again.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:21:57 pm by TheCheeseMaker »
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2015, 03:02:43 pm »

Yeah, both gates to the fort were closed and I had no idea how Gleamfight got in. I was really spooked, dude. But thankfully we had a decent weaponsmith on hand who was able to get a battleaxe out before Gleamfight killed any people of importance.

Side note about the ghosts and slabs: As I saw it, the game had no way of telling me which slabs weren't already engraved when I wanted to put them in place, so I was waiting for ALL of them to be carved before I set them up. Sorry about not telling you.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2015, 03:09:44 pm »

Journal of TheCheeseMaker

I haven't written in this journal for the last couple of months because nothing of interest has happened lately.  We did have two artifacts created

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One was a chain, which is at least moderately useful.  The other was a crown.  While the crown itself is unhelpful, its creator became a legendary engraver, our first (living) one in the fortress.

About a month after the werebeast attack earlier this summer, the children start to slowly die of dehydration.

Actually, it wasn't very slow, they all died within 3 days of each other.  I was hoping for some of them to turn and mass slaughter to ensue, but I guess this works too.  The result is the same.  I didn't actually show a picture of the room, because it was too full of miasma to actually see anything.

These pictures show our two graveyard areas 3 and a half years after founding the fort.  To put this in perspective, there are 82 dwarves living in the fort right now.  We have 115 coffins and slabs built.

By the way, not every single child died.  Once only three were left, I unlocked the doors and let them go to the hospital.  One was placed in the farthest back bed of our giant hospital and died before water could be brought to her (the dwarf bringing her water was in the hospital, but he had to walk so far that by the time he got to her bed, she was already dead).

The other two dwarves make it, though, and I give them the title 'Survivor'.

One of them 'is a hardened indivdual', and the other 'doesn't really care about anything anymore', making them both ideal candidates for the draft when they become adults.

The child who was in the hospital and refused to sleep went insane.  That's one less leech living here.

The nobles are complaining about not having enough rooms, so I give them the old barracks made during PyschoAngel's year.  The military is training on the surface now to avoid cave adaption.

A dwarf came to me today, claiming to be Gwolfski's biggest fan.  In honor of his death, this dwarf has taken on Gwolfski's name and is now demanding to be trained as both a swordsdwarf and a marksdwarf, and to have all the same accommodations as Gwolfski.  I give him Gwolfski's old office.

We struck adamantine in the third cavern layer today! All we need is magma, and then we can be a true dwarven fortress!

So, like I said, other than half of our population dying of dehydration, nothing really important happened during these last couple of months.  I'll probably work on expanding our metal industry and building up our outer wall during the last few months of the year.

(OOC: I looked through legends, and this is actually a really cool world, instead of a mainland, it's all a series of islands across a large world.  That's probably why we haven't seen any other civilization besides elves, though.
@PyschoAngel: If you press 'x' while building anything, it will expand the list to show each individual piece of furniture.  Slabs which say 'memorial to urist' are completed memorials, while others just say 'granite slab' for example.)
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2015, 04:17:43 am »

you struck adamtine? build a fortified gatehouse inj cavern layer cos of *spoiler* attacks if you dig into the hfs!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2015, 06:54:50 pm »

Let's get rich, boys. GLORY TO THE CAUSE! GLORY TO THE CAUSE!
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2015, 01:50:58 pm »

Journal of TheCheeseMaker

Work is being done on mining the adamantine.  It is a very hands on task.  I have to monitor each and every section that's being mined to make sure that it's safe.  Actually, I have never seen a vein this large because most of the ones that I have seen have breached the magma sea 2 or 3 floors down.  This one has no such problems, and we are able to dig out 8 levels fully, with a good amount still to go.  We still haven't breached the magma.

The rest of our efforts were spent expanding the upper wall.  Before construction, it was one floor high, tall enough to stop animals and unintelligent monsters, but nowhere near high enough to protect us from smarter invaders or fliers.

We were interrupted twice during construction.  The first was to celebrate the construction of an artifact.

Thanks for that, Mistem. You were a weaponsmith! You were a blacksmith!  Of all the amazing things you could have created with your impressive knowledge, you make an unhelpful, golden goblet.  It doesn't even have any interesting pictures or decorations!

Our second interruption was slightly more important.

I order the speardwarves to take care of it.  The Captain of the Guard, one of two of the survivors from last years slaughter with the bronze colossus, was the dwarf who scored the kill.  Amazingly, unlike how you would expect to kill a two-headed giant, he killed the beast by stabbing it in both of its heads.  He then ran off to get a drink.

Finally, in early granite, the wall is finally finished.

Our military is in much better shape than it was at the beginning of the year.  Although they are not very well armed, they are beginning to gain skill.  The marksdwarf squad is the biggest, but I would trust the speardwarves more at this point, since they are they only squad to have both steel weapons and metal armor.

Also, one of our workers was trapped on the second floor of the wall and needs to be rescued.

---

Events of the 7 of granite, 129

"What would you do, if everybody you loved was dead?  What would you do if you knew the man responsible?"

The dining room was in chaos. Asmel, one of the miners, had stood on a table and began to give a speech to the dwarves on break.

"This man, TheCheeseMaker, became overseer at the start of last year.  He promised us safety, security, freedom from fear.  But all I've seen is meaningless destruction."

Tears welled up in her eyes.

"All of my children are dead because of him.  Gwolfski, Salmeuk, all dead because of him.  I don't know about you, but I will not live another day under his rule.  I say down with the tyrant! Down with TheCheeseMaker!"

Soon the entire hall was filled with the chant.  At this point, TheCheeseMaker realized that perhaps murdering all the children and accidentally killing many important members of the fort perhaps did not cause the survivors to like you.

He decided to step down from power.  Let the next guy be in charge.  Something else will happen during the next year that's worse.  The year after that, too, and the year after that.  Let them see that despite half the fortress dying during the past year, we were actually better off.

There is now only one, very safe entrance to the fort.  The military had gone from 2 to 20 members.  The fortress is no longer flooding from the aquifer breach.  Despite all the destruction, Ginetolon is in a better spot than it was.

OOC: Save is here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10758.  Sorry for going over a few days; the wall was so close to being finished that I thought it would be OK.  For the next overseer, I think it's OK to work to Granite 7 too, or just end at Granite 1 (it's not really that long).  My main recommendation is to expand the metalworks, since i didn't get to start on that at all during my turn.  Also, rescue the worker that's stuck on the wall.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2015, 11:05:27 pm »

Great report there. I should be able to get going on my turn tomorrow.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2015, 04:08:33 pm »

Here's the first writeup from my turn.

Excerpts from the journal of Eldin00, 5th overseer of Crewedgears

7th Granite, 129-
What have I gotten myself into? We appear to have a large room dedicated to soapmaking, but the fortress has no soap. While I can almost understand the mind which devotes so many resources to the production of soap, I am completely at a loss why anyone would spend the time and materials to build such a room, and then never actually make any soap there.

And then there’s my immediate predecessor. He did manage to get the flooding under control, and get the military at least somewhat into shape, but after the losses suffered in his project to close off the waterfall access, and his use of a werebeast to kill nearly all of the fortress children, his popularity reached too low a point for him to continue.

And so I have been forced to assume the position of overseer. While the fortress certainly has its issues, we seem to be well positioned to carve out a glorious future. We have recently struck that wondrous blue metal known as adamantine. With this precious resource, our soldiers will soon be the envy of all… ahhh, I’ve just been informed that we have no skilled armorers at all, and that our only weaponsmith is merely dabbling at the craft… I shall immediately set some of our citizens to learning these skills, so that once the adamantine is ready to be crafted into the finest of arms and armor, we may have a smith worthy of crafting it. And speaking of getting the adamantine ready, I immediately order tunnels dug to seek out magma, as everydwarf knows only the wonder which is magma can be used to craft the glorious blue metal with the reverence it deserves.

13th Granite, 129-
An elven caravan has arrived. I immediately order all of our finest worn out clothing and worthless trinkets brought  to the depot, as befits such noble merchants.

Also, efforts to train up worthy smiths have been slowed down by a lack of quality metals to train them on. I’ve ordered that one of the smelters be dedicated to non-stop production of steel, and another to smelt galena and tetrahedrite, in hopes of getting silver for our dwarves who prefer the mace or hammer over the blade.

Our mayor, with wisdom uncharacteristic most mayors, has recently mandated the creation of battle axes. Once our steel production is up and running, I will be only too happy to comply.
19th Granite, 129-
As expected, the elves brought nothing of particular value. We traded some old clothes for a bit of fruit, to add some variety to the booze.

1st Slate, 129-
Urist Islandlash, a fisherdwarf, has become very secretive lately. Not that anyone cares much what the fisherdwarves do.

2nd Slate, 129-
Today, our secretive fisherdwarf laid claim to a craftsdwarf’s workshop. He won’t tell anyone what he’s using it for, and if anyone comes near he hides whatever he’s working on and glares at them until they leave.

Also, some migrants arrived today, 19 of them in all, bringing our population to 101. Among them were 2 macedwarves, 2 hammerdwarves, and a swordsdwarf. Also 2 children.

I order some new bedrooms dug out to help house our growing population.

20th Slate, 129-
Sigun Blushworks, a planter, gave birth to a son today.

26th Slate, 129-
At last! We have found the magma sea! I’m ordering an area for magma furnaces and forges dug out immediately. This will be our adamantium processing center.

16th Felsite, 129-
Urist Islandlash, the fisherdwarf who has been occupying a craftsdwarf’s shop for the last month and a half, went berserk today. Apparently he couldn’t find the materials for whatever it was he planned to make. Luckily, the swordsdwarf Kol Beanchamber was passing by and lopped off the head of the berserk fisherdwarf before he could do much damage.

Also, Avuz Sunkenbanners, a farmer, gave birth to a son today.

1 Hematite, 129-
Spring has come to a close. Production of quality weapons and armor for our troops is underway, and construction has begun on the adamantium processing center. As we move into summer, I can only hope that our fortunes continue to improve.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:57:13 am by Eldin00 »

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2015, 03:35:34 am »

My turn is complete.The save is here.

Further excerpts from the journal of Eldin00, 5th overseer of Crewedgears

8th Hematite, 129-
The mayor has mandated more battleaxes. It is refreshing to see a mayor who understands the importance of the military.

Craftsdwarf’s shops for the strand extractors and magma smelters to smelt adamantine have been completed. Now we begin the the preparation of this magnificent metal for forging into the most spectacular of arms and armor. We should have a decent stockpile of it built up by the time any of our smiths become skilled enough to allow them to even think of touching the blue metal.

17th Hematite, 129-
One of our miners, Asmel Wardbook, gave birth to a daughter today.

And in other news, our people made the right choice and today decided to re-elect Obok as mayor.

Adamantine production is going slowly, due to the inexperience of our strand extractors.

9th Malachite, 129-
More migrants arrived today, 8 in total, none of them skilled in anything useful. This brings the total popluation of Crewedgears to 111 dwarves.

11th Malachite, 129-
The forgotten beast Ngoso Usasp has come. This enormous 3-eyed stonefly represents the first challenge we have yet faced under my leadership. But as I’ve been working to ensure that our soldiers are well equipped, and had them training non-stop as well, I’m certain that they are up to the task of slaying this horror from the deeps. I have stationed them near the entrance to the fortress from the 2nd cavern. However, the water in this cavern prevents the soldiers from approaching the beast. Hopefully, it will come within their reach.

22nd Malachite, 129-
The beast Ngoso has wandered off into an unexplored area of the caverns. It appears that our soldiers may not get the opportunity to prove themselves after all. I have ordered exploratory tunnels built in an effort to relocate the creature. In the meantime, I have allowed our soldiers to return to their training and closed the drawbridge, sealing off the 2nd cavern layer.

10th Galena, 129-
One of our craftsdwarves, Mebzuth Scouredwheeled, has a crazed look in her eyes, and is muttering in something incomprehensible that might be a language.

11th Galena, 129-
Mebzuth barged into the clothiers shop today and made everyone else leave. Nobody felt like arguing with the crazy gleam in her eyes, so they let her have the place.

14th Galena, 129-
I have located the portion of the cavern where the beast Ngoso is located. The creature seems to have a fondness for deep water, and has thus far shown no inclination to venture near any dry ground where our soldiers might engage him and put an end to his threat.

16th Galena, 129-
Mezbuth began making something today. She’s using pig tail cloth, lead, giant eagle leather, and kakapo bones. I’m sure it will be a magnificent garment indeed upon completion.

20th Galena, 129-
Mezbuth finished what she was working on today. It turned out to be a conical cap. She named it Amazedbreach. While it is quite impressive for a cap, by the standards of dwarven artifacts it is somewhat…. ordinary.

1st Limestone, 129-
Autumn has come. I’m frustrated by the slow going in getting weapon and armorsmiths trained up, as well as the slow production of adamantine fibers.

18th Limestone, 129-
Our outpost liaison arrived today, along with a caravan from the mountanhomes. I have ordered our finest trade goods brought to the depot at once.

20th Limestone, 129-
More migrants have arrived today, 6 in total. This brings our population to 117 dwarves in total.

25th Limestone, 129-
Our mayor has once again shown his understanding of the needs of the military, by prohibiting the export of battle axes. Not that he needed to, as I had no intention of exporting these valuable weapons.

18th Sandstone, 129-
The outpost liaison has informed me that Crewedgears has been chosen to become a barony! He asked if I could recommend anyone for the position. And of course, how could I trust anydwarf but myself with such responsibility. I immediately commissioned a set of golden furniture and ordered a suite of rooms befitting my new station to be dug out.

25th Sandstone, 129-
Our people have seen fit to elect Fath Riddledlance to the position of mayor. I can only hope that she will be as understanding of the needs of our soldiers as Obok, her predecessor was.

20th Timber, 129-
The farmer Cerol Stockadecontrols has become very withdrawn lately.

21st Timber, 129-
Cerol has laid claim to a craftdwarf’s shop. I hope he manages to create something useful.

27th Timber, 129-
Cerol began working on something today. He’s using siltstone and rough milk quartz.

1st Moonstone, 129-
It is winter already. It’s hard to believe it’s been 9 months since I assumed the position of overseer. While Crewedgears has certainly prospered during that time, I also feel disappointment that so little has yet come of my adamantine processing. I hope that in the months to come, we can finally create masterful weapons from these efforts. The blue metal calls to me…

4th Moonstone, 129-
Cerol has finished his “masterpiece”. It’s a siltstone scepter which he calls “The Tattooed Delight”. It’s quite nice for a siltstone scepter, I suppose.

15th Obsidian, 129-
The duties of overseeing this fortress begin to weigh heavily on me. While the fortress has no doubt prospered under my guidance, I feel it is stagnating. Perhaps soon, it shall be time for me to step aside, and allow someone else to shoulder this burden for a while.

1st Granite, 130-
The time has come when I feel I must pass the burden of Crewedgears on to another. While I have much improved the state of our military forces, and paved the way to arming them with shining blue, I have failed to train any smiths sufficiently to work adamantine with the skill it deserves. And I have failed to exterminate the beast in the 2nd cavern, so dispite their training and improved arms and armor, the might of our military is largely untested. I believe I shall spend my time henceforth working with the blue metal which calls to me so often of late…
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:12:28 am by Eldin00 »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2015, 09:40:17 am »

Welp, guess I'm up... let's see what we've got.

EDIT: Well, I see it suffers from the r8 starter pack graphics weirdness, for one thing...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:38:12 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2015, 06:05:27 pm »

1 Granite, 130

Right.  Here I am, wearing the stupid hat.  Lucky me.  'Let's go to a different fort!' she said.  'Life will be better somewhere else!' she said.  Well, I haven't been here 6 months and Ethan throws the stupid hat on my head at a party and runs off giggling.  I take it off quick.  It's a joke, right?  But nooooo... everyone says 'that's how the succession works here'.  Bunch of wankers.  All I want to do is make armor and weapons - which we bloody well need, mind you! - but now I have to waste a year of my life listening to everyone whine and gripe every time the helmets aren't plump enough.  Feh.  And if the overseers who come after me don't like my notes in this fancy journal, tough!

So, what have we got?

First off, being an overseer is always a mixed bag - I remember old Urvad back in Shieldhollow telling stories about when he ended up running some shithole out in the middle of nowhere for a year, and everywhere you go, some things are good, some things are bad, and some things just don't make any damn sense at all.  Here in Crewedgears, we have a lot of Option 3.

First off, the stockpiles don't make any damn sense.  People mine adamantine in the bottom of the world, turn it into strands, take it allll the way up to the surface, put it in a bin, then turn around and pick it up and carry it allll the way back down again to be smelted into bars.  Where do they go?  Why yes, you guessed it, back to the surface.  You'd think we get paid by the mile!  There's also a major chokepoint where some kind of accident happened... the walls are all stained and drippy, so I'm assuming there was a flood at some point, but a full stair connects to another full stair by only three staircases.  The backups get pretty bad there, so I ordered some more stairs built... at least we got to 6.  I asked around about expanding, but the old dwarves screamed about "the great flood" and "waves of water" and such... don't know what that's all about, but I left it for now.  Bugger it - if they want to wait in line to use stairs, let 'em.

Anyway, as soon as I started to look around and think about something other than metal, the first thing that happens is some bloody elf ponce comes swishing up to me, bold as brass, and starts cracking wise with short jokes and claiming we have "insulted the trees".  Had the nerve to tell me "we were warned".  I got a passing guard to "warn" him out the front door with a boot to the arse.  I also told off the militia for letting him in here in the first place.  Crikey, what's next?  Now we're letting elves waltz in whenever they want, next we'll be watching the bloody greenies coming in the front door, asking them if they'd like some whiskey and roasts!  Lazy gits.

Apparently getting the boot didn't chuff his mates much... here came the caravan:

We traded for some incidentals; I loaded them up with a shonky shop's worth of old clothes (who knows what the hell they do with the stuff!) and got some giant critters they had trapped.  The giant kangaroo might be war-trainable; the giant wren is going in the nest boxes... as soon as I find them.  Meanwhile, the more I watch the militia, the stranger they seem.  First off, a lot of them aren't wearing any pants!  That ain't right, a dwarf parading around with his unmentionables flapping in the breeze!  Why didn't anyone make the militia some leggings or something?  Secondly... well... I don't even know what was going on here:

Slate

Well, I've discovered that whoever laid out the food area has never lived in a normal fortress.  There's all these weird... zones... where food could go, but they are only one urist wide.  Makes no sense.  I've turned one of the unused farm areas into a henhouse, and filled it with all the birds loose in the fortress and also some nest boxes.  Eggs are rolling in by the basketful.  I also started a new zone where we metalworkers in the deep forges can eat and sleep without having to come all the way up 150 flights of bloody stairs just to have a snack.

While digging, one of the miners announced:

Which prompted a general celebration:

Apparently emeralds are a big thing here.  As we were cleaning up the mess the miners left, I told the cleaners "just take this rock and dump it over there".  Imagine my shock when they all picked up stones and paraded up the stairs!  "Hey!" I yelled.  "Where are you going?"  "Dump's up here" I was told.  I followed them just to see what they meant... 150 stairs later (see what I mean about paid by the mile?) out the door of the fort they went, across the bridge, and outside.  What the bloody...?  They took the rocks over to the RESERVOIR and DUMPED THEM IN.  "What are you doing, idiots?  That's the water we use to tend to the wounded!"  Shrugs and dumb looks all round; someone told them this was where they were supposed to put all trash.  In the drinking water.  What the hell have I gotten myself into.

As if that weren't enough, some bone carver I'd never met kicked a crafter out of his shop and slammed the door in his face.  We all know how this goes. 

Imagine my shock when a few days later, out he pops with a truly amazing bone table!  Gorgeous thing, worth a fortune too!

I'm also told that... well... I really don't know what went on here before I arrived.  And I think I'm glad.

Felsite

A whole pack of bloody idiots new settlers hove into view:

And word immediately came that one of the miners was dead.

No idea what happened to him.  Found him on the staircase, dead as a nail.  Hope this place isn't haunted; ghosts give me the creepy-crawlies and no mistake.

I got the metalworker's guild area finished and clean, the walls and floors are being polished, and the beds are in the rooms.  Soon I will start making the assignments.  Enough humping up and down all those bloody stairs.  Faugh.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2015, 07:12:12 pm »

I think my favorite part right now is the goose and the cat sparring. It's like they're actually friends instead of natural enemies, training up in case they must protect their Dwarven brothers (aka the children). I like how some of us in successions devote our time to making things organized and industrial, while others like to do a lot of makeshift "preparations" or entirely throw off everyone's groove. The interaction between play-styles always makes for good narrative.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2015, 01:53:37 pm »

whats the danger the migrants were talkinig 'bout?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2015, 01:57:26 pm »

Apparently word got out that over 1/4 of the population of the fortress was recently slaughtered.  Outpost liaisons are notorious gossipmongers.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2015, 06:45:17 pm »

(( OOC: Sorry this is taking so long; the curse of the succession fort has hit me hard.  Work has me running crazy.  I can turn the save in if it's taking too long, but I can't do these too much faster  :/  ))

Overseers Log - Summer, 130

Hematite

Well, the summer got off to a start fairly slow.  Nice and quiet, perhaps a little time for some meta-

Bugger.  Bugger, bugger, damn and blast.  Well, I'm not about to send the boys in to fight a dusty anything; who knows what that filth will do.  Right, have fun Salamander, you're on your own in there.  Meanwhile, on the 17th, that blowhard Fath got himself elected mayor again.

He's been yammering on about large gems all year; I've had about every stone I could wedge into the jeweler's shop cut, and he's still not satisfied, the pompous git.  Maybe I'll send HIM to deal with the salamander, see how he likes that!

Another 7 dwarves came wandering in from the heat.

One of them had a heatstroke, so off to the hospital with her.  The others seem to be fitting in as well as anyone does around here.  Meanwhile, work is progressing on the guildhall; I've gotten some gold set aside to make some decorations, if I can ever find time to go near a forge again.

Malachite

Success!  I snuck away during one of Fath's interminable speeches and got a magma forge all to myself!  Made some truly lovely doors and statues for the hall if I do say so myself, including one of Bar for my room.  I also took the liberty of making two statues of Gwolfski, and put them in his rooms as a sign of appreciation for all his hard work.  Of course, the mayor wasn't going to let that go unchallenged, so word comes he needs to see me right away.  Right away, right away, urgent urgent!  I scamper up the stairs (well, actually I took my time, but that's neither here nor there) only to be told

Well, said I, that's all fine and good, but you'll have to be more specific.  I figured it was certain to be large gems, since he'd been squawking like a one-winged kea about them... but no.

Right.  Fine.  Wasn't planning on selling those anyway, but thanks for thinking of us.  Be off with you, ya useless lump of lard.

Of course, I hadn't even gotten down the hallway good before a runner found me to tell me the jeweler had gone fey.  Must have been those large gems.

It seemed to take forever for him to find a rock that suited him, but eventually he went off and did whatever jewelers do, and is now the proud creator of a lovely coffer.

I got a sand zone declared, since we seem to need an inexhaustible supply of glass, and now the clothiers are making bags, but oh the endless whining and moaning about sand and bags and oh gods, I need a drink.  Not sure how much longer I can put up with this!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:47:27 pm by Iamblichos »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20