Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

help! I cant get this poll to open again!

If you can help, PM me!
- 0 (0%)
IF you cant, then dont PM mE.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 25, 2015, 04:57:24 am

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: The saga of Ginetolon, the Crewedgears (succesion) desperate for players!  (Read 37909 times)

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: The saga of Ginetolon, the Crewedgears (succesion)
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2015, 05:06:49 pm »

Overseer's Log: Entry Six

It is currently the seventeenth of Limestone.

Hopefully my efforts to expand the fortress's industry will bear even more fruit before winter is over. With us having plenty of food and other resources, I turn my attention to a very concerning matter: We have no hospital in Crewedgears. What if we wage war? What if beasts invade? With no hospital, it will be easy for us to be overcome by injuries, and die deaths that no dwarf should experience. A dwarf should die fighting or die of age, not laying sick in bed or bleeding out.
The miners work feverishly to make my goals reality, and for that I am thankful. This, however, will not be the bulk of the work. I need to devote efforts into building traction benches and constructing mechanisms. Without them, the hospital will not be as properly equipped as it should. With the introduction of a hospital, we will be needing many more beds. This is not a problem for the master carpenter Salmeuk.

I order the forges to make chains and the masons to make tables, key parts of a traction bench. The construction of traction benches will mark the true opening of the hospital.

On the twenty-third of Limestone, more migrants arrive. Good, we will need them for both industry and military.

Celebration! on the twenty-eighth, the child Tun Logemusir throws a party in one of the dining rooms. That's the spirit, kid.

On the third of Sandstone, one of the largest projects in Crewedgears has begun. We will be smoothing a large 23X23 room that will serve as the hospital. The next big project is to furnish it, and ensure it is well-equipped. After the hospital is done, next will be a more proper barracks. The militia will be living in luxury, albeit not quite as much as Gwolfski, but luxury nonetheless.

Time passes without incident. I order some more minor actions to be carried out in the midst of the hospital smoothing.

Huzzah! On the twenty-fourth of Sandstone, the project is complete! Now for the furniture...

I have designated where the furniture will be hauled, as well as setting the area as the hospital. Once the hauling is done, I will engrave an image of the hospital here.

There are still stones around the place, but now we have a full-fledged hospital where injured dwarves are certain to recover. Now I will focus on upgrading the militia, as well as their barracks.

But there is no time for that! It is Gleamfight the Oily Persuasions, and I hope to avoid it at all costs until we are outfitted with steel armor and weapons.

Troubling. I immediately order the gates to be closed. With thirty idle dwarves, the pulling of the lever should prove to go very quickly. But I can only wait and watch.

The lever is pulled without a moment lost, and any casualties that would have been had are thus prevented. With both bridges closed, the dwarves cannot even have access to the wood stockpile, as well as being unable to store any trade goods made in the near future. As a result of this, I suspend the creation of gold crafts, we should have much more than enough for now.

With the crisis of the colossus averted, I turn my attention inward, back to the scene where I plan to excavate the barracks.
A series of twelve 7x7 rooms, each large enough for their own squad of ten. With them all interconnected and attached to the main staircase, we could mobilize a whole army with ease. This is what a barracks really looks like.

Amidst the peace within the fort, animals can be heard, screaming in pain and fear. It seems as though our guest has found the livestock. This offence will not go unnoticed. Vengeance will be had.

Bad news. A small stretch of aquifer has been found within the plans for the barracks. It looks like we will have to settle for eleven rooms instead of twelve.
A small breach has been made into the aquifer in order to make room for the barracks. This will take a long while to dry.

And that's my time for today, folks! Tomorrow is the day that my turn will be over and the fort shall continue to thrive under the hands of the next overseer.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2015, 05:20:41 pm »

Overseer's Log: Entry Six

If you have 42 dwarf's injured, having a hospital will be the least of your worries

But there is no time for that!

Amidst the peace within the fort, animals can be heard, screaming in pain and fear. It seems as though our guest has found the livestock. This offence will not go unnoticed. Vengeance will be had.
Quick: Someone get a Fluffy Wambler.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2015, 12:20:09 pm »

Okay, I haven't been feeling very well today, but now I'm starting to get the itch to play some DF. I'll be getting on with it very soon.
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2015, 03:07:29 pm »

Overseer's Log: Entry Seven

It is the fourteenth of Timber, and we have laid the groundwork for a hospital, an improved barracks, and industrialized metal and soap production. There is a Bronze Colossus
outside the fortress that has killed all of the livestock, but once the barracks are finished, training can begin, and in no time, the colossus will not be a problem.

For now, we are cooped up inside our fort, without any way out. This is not much of a problem because of the fact that I have recently ensured that we have plentiful materials such as food and drink among other things. Overall, the status of the fort is much better than what it could have been.

I've noticed a completely empty room near the farms. Perhaps it was meant for a kennel? No matter it's original cause, that's what it will be now.

Over time, I have had more golden furniture constructed for our founder, and more marble and granite furniture for our mayor. I know for a fact that gwolfski is more than happy with what I've done for his room, but still really wants me to finish that pool of his. I've already made it clear that it won't be possible until someone else takes hold of Crewedgears, and with the colossus outside the fort, no one will be getting out, for better or for worse.

Spoiler: Wait, WHAT?! (click to show/hide)
This can't be! How did the colossus get in?! The gates were closed and there were no dwarves outside the fort, so SOMETHING went wrong and it wandered inside. Many workers and children are being harassed by the creature, but so far it looks like there are too many targets for the colossus to effectively score a single kill. I order the current military on the scene immediately.

So far three children are dead. The "Military is moving in, and I order that what steel we currently have be put to use immediately.
I hope to Armok that we can pull out of this.

The only humor I can find in all of this is this:
Well, I suppose it's better than being directly punched by the beast.

There were many deaths, but the colossus is dead. It's time to pull the levers, recover the wounded, and entomb the dead.

This is a great victory as well as a great loss. Several children and a few doctors were lost, but it's not the end of the world. The end of the Battle of the Bronze Colossus marks the end of autumn and beginning of winter.

Overseer's Log: Entry Eight

Praise be unto Obok Targetpaddle! She is the slayer of Gleamfight the Oily Persuasions! The timely production of the steel battle axe is what enabled her, but it was her strength in wielding it that won the battle. I order twenty coffins to be built, and hopefully that will be enough.

Troubling news, the breach in the aquifer is truly infinite. What this means is that the whole lower level of the fort is now entirely submerged in water, with still more pouring out of the room. I will make attempts to seal the hole, but dwarves will dare not go anywhere close to the torrents. Some of the fisherdwarves have been seen getting swept into the cavern inside the torrents. The situation has become very dire, and we must act fast, though it may already be too late.

Time passes without incident, aside from more sightings of the dead. Damn.

Work on sealing the aquifer is impossible, the torrent keeps coming too fast for dwarves to be able to seal the place in which it comes from. This means that the whole lower portion of the fortress will be flooded, and there's nothing we can do about it. All because I misunderstood the implications of an aquifer being "A nigh-infinite water source."

As time passes, things start to look better.
As is her profession, she claims a clothier's shop, newly built just for her. Let's see what we get!

As many mason's shops are underneath the breach, we no longer have access to masonry. It's not a problem, however, as I just excavate a new room that will house many more workshops. I will now begin an expedition downward from a new part of the fort near the masons' quarters in hopes of finding more of what we need.

Time passes.

On the seventh of Opal, the moody clothier begins his construction.
What sort of exquisite garment will she create?

We have discovered an expansive cavern deep underground! Looks like we missed it by an inch last time, we should really be more careful so we can actually find these.
I can't believe we missed it on our first go-around. Luck of the draw.
Within the cave we find, tetrahedrite, microline, and quartz. Hopefully there will be more than just this. Exploratory mining is being conducted in order to find out as much as we can about this cavern.

Oh boy, I can't wait to pull the levers again.

The name is dramatic, but the item in and of itself isn't too fancy in regards to mood-induced artifacts. It is a grand edition to our collection nonetheless.

Days pass with not much to report. The new public tomb is almost fully furnished and put to use. Hopefully we won't have to expand it too much.
An incident occured involving a cave crocodile, but from the reports, no one was killed but the croc. I even pitched in a bit myself, but hurt my left hand in doing so.
It shouldn't take too long for it to get patched up.

More time passes.

Now that the real groundwork for the tomb has been set, I can engrave a picture here.
Coffins are set in rows of four with a statue at the end between each row. Memorial slabs will be lined across the north and south walls, and the whole room will be expanded as necessary.

The barracks have not been smoothed, as we may need more squad dorms as the fortress's population expands.

As a last bit of support to the hospital, I order more bags and traction benches be made.

The Minotaur hasn't gotten into the fort, and is harassing the wildlife and what little livestock remain that were actually able to escape from the colossus.

What a dramatic end to an otherwise uneventful year. I feel this may be only the calm before the storm, however. We do not yet have adamantine, but we have gold crafts and steel weapons, making Crewedgears a high-value fortress indeed.

Spring has arrived, and a new chapter of the history of Crewedgears must begin. Three things that must be accomplished are: 1.) Get bituminous coal and Lignite in order to make steel and smelt gold 2.) Kill the minotaur. 3.) Finish gwolfski's pool.

Crewedgears is in a good spot right now, besides not having any coal. Good luck to the next guy! Get the save here!

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2015, 03:11:35 pm »

The saga must continue! Call to arms!

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2015, 04:24:45 pm »

Karvos has not been active since the 28th. If he is skipped, then it would be TheCheeseMaker's turn.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2015, 04:45:30 pm »

I'd vote give Karvos 2 days  (so until the end of April 3rd) to post his intent to take his turn here, then open it up to TheCheeseMaker.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2015, 05:00:31 pm »

^ Agree.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2015, 06:12:01 pm »

If Karvos doesn't reply I can start my turn Sunday.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2015, 04:06:00 pm »

keep the werehuuman in cage forever! or else...
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2015, 07:00:52 pm »

keep the werehuuman in cage forever! or else...

We have a slight problem with that, because she's dead, along with about 15 dwarves (so far). Anyway, expect a full update later tonight
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2015, 11:07:58 pm »

Journal of TheCheeseMaker

Spring has arrived, and a new chapter of the history of Crewedgears must begin. Three things that must be accomplished are: 1.) Get bituminous coal and Lignite in order to make steel and smelt gold 2.) Kill the minotaur. 3.) Finish gwolfski's pool.

Crewedgears is in a good spot right now, besides not having any coal. Good luck to the next guy! Get the save here!

I want to highlight two phrases PsychoAngel used:  "Crewedgears has faced a few troubles this year, but thrives even still," and "Crewedgears is in a good spot right now."

I BEG TO DIFFER.

Right now, a minotaur is rampaging on the surface.  A child in the hospital is refusing to sleep and probably will go insane soon.  We currently have a grand total of 2 surviving military dwarves, and neither of them are very skilled.  No less than three ghosts are haunting the fortress.  Anything else? Oh yeah.  THE LOWER HALF OF THE ENTIRE FUCKING FORTRESS IS FLOODING.

No wonder PsychoAngel was so quick to give up the position of overseer.  He wants the people to blame someone else when everything goes to Hell (well, more than it already is).

I can think of 7 goals than need to be completed soon.

1. Kill the minotaur.
2. Seal the aquifer breach.
3. Stop the river/waterfall from murdering everyone.
4. Fill Gwolfski's pool.
5. Rebuild the military.
6. Get rid of all the ghosts.
7. Kill all the children (this one is very important).

1. Kill the minotaur.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, that was easy.

2. Seal the aquifer breach.

Most of the water is leaking into the caverns right now, so the damage isn't too bad, and we can still salvage almost all of the lower levels. The barracks, where the leak is coming from, is already partially walled off, so all we have to worry about is the water leaking to the lower levels.

I designate the staircase one level below the breach as either up-staircases or floors.  Many times throughout the process, the dwarves suspend the task and tell me that there is too much water to build anything.  I merely unsuspend the job, and eventually they complete the task.  We now have only two levels that cannot be built on, instead of everything below the aquifer.

3. Stop the river/waterfall from murdering people.

It's only the 15th of Granite, and already one dwarf, one elf merchant, and one horse have tried to cross the river near the waterfall and drowned.  There are two issues: as the river approaches the waterfall, its depth lowers slightly, making people think it's safe to cross.  The other problem is someone decided to dig into the river and build a secondary place where the river flows, making the issue even worse.

I plan to wall off this lower section then build a bridge across the upper portion  to fix both issues.  Sound simple enough.

{2 months later}

OK, what the fuck?  WHAT THE FUCK? WHO THE HELL DESIGNED THIS?

What does that look like to you? What was its original purpose?  I have no idea.  I can tell you what it is though: it is the most potent and terrifying death trap I have ever seen.  Dwarves go to build the wall, walking straight through the water, and get pushed down the waterfall and splatter on the rocks at the bottom.

We lost a total of ten dwarves trying to seal off the river, including two of the previous overseers, Gwolfski and Salmeuk.  Also, notice the red wall on the left? That's not clay or sand, it's blood from the various dwarves who have splattered on the bottom.

Eventually I change strategies and build the walls from above.

The rest of the design goes smoothly without incident, and not a single dwarf  is lost. It's funny, had I used this strategy first, everyone would still be alive.  I feel like 25% of our adult population is well within an acceptable casualty rate, especially since it was all needless.

Haha...[gulp]...sorry guys.

4. Fill Gwolfski's pool.

Well, Gwolfski is dead, so I'm not sure of the point of this.  I'm going to postpone it for later.

5. Rebuild the military.

Right now, we have a grand total of two military dwarves.  Luckily, the most recent migrant wave happened to have 10 rangers, all of whom had some skill as marksdwarves, a sworddwarf, and a macedwarf.  I draft them all and order them to begin training.  I'll worry about weapons and armor later.

6. Get rid of the ghosts.

Actually, all of the ghosts have slabs engraved for them already, they just need to be put up.  I also need to make and engrave slabs for the ten dwarves who decided to jump off the waterfall, so yeah.

7. Murder Release the children from their life of suffering.

I hate children.  They drink our booze, eat our food, and do absolutely nothing to help us survive.  Normally they're a pest that can be ignored, but this fortress has almost half of its population under the age of 12. 

I come up with a plan to make sure only useful dwarves live here.

I burrow all the children in a small room with the caged werebeast.  Our mechanic (well, technically our actual mechanic is at the bottom of the river, this girl is just a random nobody who had no other useful skills) connected the cage to a lever.  At the next full moon, we will pull the lever and release the werebeast into the room.

I highly doubt that she will be able to kill all the dwarves, but she should be able to bite a couple of them, so at the full moon after that the bitten children will turn and kill the survivors.

It is the 19th of Hermatite, and we can hear howls of pain coming from the creature as she turns into a monster.  We release her from her trap, and with a savage leap, she immediately begins to fight the 35 children in the room.

Unfortunately, despite wounding nearly all of them, she only manages to kill 4 before turning back into a human and having her skull caved in.  Oh well, she did manage to bite a couple of them, so hopefully next month will be the end.  If that fails, the dwarves will die of dehydration before long.  You know, never before have I thought about locking 35 children in a room with a savage beast and hoping that everyone dies.

OOC: Well, that's a wrap!  Sorry about killing half of the named dorfs.  Gwofski and Salmeuk, I can redorf you as whoever, just tell me your preferences.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:29:51 pm by TheCheeseMaker »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2015, 05:47:43 am »

reincarnate me as mechanic. Train me as crossbow/sword, but dońt fight. Make me manager/bookkeeper. Put sword + crossbow in me room. Rename me profession as Glorious founder.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 03:03:06 pm by Gwolfski »

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2015, 03:18:36 pm »

Forgot to mention the dying child in the hospital, I thought that he was going to be put into a bed at some point by a responsible medical dwarf, but apparently the fact that he was in the hospital area meant that the dwarves will not touch him unless they're treating injuries, which cannot be done if the patient is not in bed/on a traction bench.

I also already mentioned that the flooding wasn't exactly intentional. I just never deal with aquifers so I wouldn't know that they're legitimately infinite. Good job on plugging the hole better than I was able to.

And I was thoroughly surprised when the Minotaur had his skull caved in by a horse. Just wow, dude.

Also, a good candidate for the military would be the woodcutter who killed Gleamfight. She's got the first steel battleaxe that Crewedgears has ever made. Unless she was a needless death due to Bloodfall Chasm (That's what I'm naming the waterfall, it's official now).

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2015, 03:52:15 pm »

OK, what the fuck?  WHAT THE FUCK? WHO THE HELL DESIGNED THIS?

i did...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20