Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

help! I cant get this poll to open again!

If you can help, PM me!
- 0 (0%)
IF you cant, then dont PM mE.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 25, 2015, 04:57:24 am

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: The saga of Ginetolon, the Crewedgears (succesion) desperate for players!  (Read 37897 times)

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The saga of Ginetolon, the Crewedgears (succesion)
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2015, 09:31:11 pm »

Letter to mom, TheCheeseMaker, 6 Slate, 132

Dear mom,

Sorry I haven't written to you in a while, it's just nothing that important has happened to me in a while, so I thought I'd just write today about my life has been recently.

The new overseer came to speak to me today.  He acted strange around me, although all dwarves do that now.  It probably relates to how almost everyone died during my rule.  Look, I think that people ignore the good things I did and jump strait to the bad parts.  I stopped the fortress from flooding.  I discovered the adamantine.  I killed the minotaur who attacked us (because that was totally because of me and not a lucky coincidence).  But no... People hear "child genocide" and act like I've done the worst thing someone can possibly do.

Anyway, about the new overseer.  I don't like him very much.  First off, he declared himself the hammerer.  What sick, twisted kind of individual decides he wants to kill people for petty crimes (the people I killed did the much worse crime of drinking my booze without providing any work for the good of the fortress in return).

Then he barged into my office and demanded I actually do my job.  Look, I don't know who you are Mr. Dwarfperson, but around here we have a few things that we do.  First, we build giant construction projects that look awful and have a good chance of getting people killed.  Second, we sometimes drown people in the various bodies of water surrounding the fortress.  Third, we never, ever, do more work then we have to.  Look, sometimes I don't want to do any work.  Sometimes these periods of no work last for a few months.  The point is, don't tell me to my job, because I hate doing anything other than order others around.  That's why I made myself the manager.

What was his name anyway?  Urist Dwarfperson, ordinary citizen...  Well, at least I know he's a normal dwarf and not someone I have to watch out for, like a secret MNDH agent sent out to see if I'm part of any interdimentional terrorist organization (which I'm totally not!)

Anyway, to sum up, I'm awesome, the child genocide was no big deal, and I am not a terrorist.

With love,
TheCheeseMaker

(ooc:Gwolfski, I'll take a second turn if you could add me back into the turn list)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:50:58 pm by TheCheeseMaker »
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2015, 10:49:32 pm »

Crewedgears Investigation -- summer report

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The food situation is getting out of hand, partially because most of the staff refuses to do their job. The manager simply doesn't care about filling out orders, because writing down to other people so they can work is too much work. the Bookkeeper isn't much better, as he refuses to give me the list of food we have available. No idea what types of seeds, fruits and plants we have. As such, it is very hard to kickstart a better farming industry, or to process what we already have into cooked meals. Just in case, I've ordered a millstone, a quern and a second farmer workshop installed, hopefully part of our plants can be transformed into food.

Apparently, this fortress will not be receiving a human caravan this year, so we'll have to survive on rock paste and leftover booze until fall.

I asked the farmers to construct new farming plots outside, for grape, cranberry and more. Apparently they built the thing right in the path of an archery range, and only told me about it after it was complete. the farming plots will have to stay there I'm afraid, as accidental shooting is a source of terrible deaths, but so is mass-starving.

It would seem that the farmers hate working outside, and also hate going outside because of the poorly designed, narrow path across a pond, and also they hate working in the first place. work on the farms is definitely slow.

In order to house more civilians, we are building a new set of rooms near the noble district. there is a nearby staircase leading to a large dinning room, so this is adequately located. With so many stone lying around, it seems safe to order a few of them turned into furniture. I'm not sure the people living here each need a weapon and armor rack, but i'm also certain they don't each need two giant stone boulders lying under a dangerous mountain.

The miners inform me that a new forgotten beast was heard across the walls of the caverns. That would make it the fourth resident of our underwater lake (that isn't a drowned dwarf). As with the others, this one is sealed off. (for now)

Reading the combat reports informs me that the only combats that took place during my rule were inbetween cavern inhabitants and forgotten beast. Very recently, the newcomer has been duking it out with an old foe of the fortress. It seems the forgotten beasts are keeping tab on their own population for us.

As summer comes to an end, I'm told that a peasant has begun work on a personal project, while a ghost has risen from the grave. Surely, this must be addressed.

All things considered, progress during summer has been slow, simple and quiet, with most of the fortress smoothing walls and moving furnitures, ordering stockpiles and improving the housing state. However, many dwarves have forsaken their job to ''chill out'' and do nothing, under the leadership of TheCheeseMaker. Many boulders remain unhauled, many things remain unmined, yet the population is uninterested in any of those things, and merely seek to throw parties at the marble table. Our food situation is becoming a real issue, and our continued happiness is placed upon the next caravan from the mountainhomes. On the bright side, the slow pace of life during summer left me with some time to further investigate the ex-overseers of the Crewedgears. (see annexed document)

Crewedgear criminal investigation
Summer update

As of the end of the sixth month, 132, those are the information I managed to acquire on the different suspects:

*Gwolfsky*
Status: Presumed dead, after his fall in the Bloodfall Chasm, alongside second overseer Salmeuk. Body missing
Critical info: Founder of the fortress, prime suspect in the ''Hollowing stupid areas'' affair. Was apparently very neurotic about acquiring a golden office with a private pool. Originally designed what would be the root of the problem for the ''Bloodfall Chasm'' deathtrap.
Evaluation: Faked his own death after he killed Salmeuk out of spite. Currently disguised as ''Gwolfsky2''.

*Salmeuk*
Status: Presumed dead, after his fall in the bloodfall Chasm, alongside fortress founder Gwolfsky. Body never retrieved.
Critical info: Laid the plans for a large, long term defence and food-focused term. Overall beneficial to the growth of the fortress. Failed to follow through with the various personal requests from the founder Gwolfsky, instead focusing on the defence and productivity of the fortress as a whole.
Evaluation: Possibly murdered by Gwolfsky

*PsychoAngel*
Status: Broker of the Crewedgears, self-proclaimed ''grand soaper''
Critical info: Obsessed with soap, believing it has magical and awesome properties. Created a hospital and a soap-making operation, but forgot to put any of those into proper service. Renowned as having a ''lousy intellect''. Unlike Salmeuk, served Gwolfsky faithfully. Let a bronze collossus into the fortress by failing to understand the general layout. Flooded part of the fort by not understanding what a aquafier meant.
Evaluation: Apparently Gwolfsky's minion. Possibly pretending to be stupid in order to avoid suspicion, but most likely a flat out idiot.

*TheCheeseMaker*
Critical info: Apparently hates work, but claims that he ''just finished some work, it was very satisfying''. Solved most of the issues caused by PsychoAngel. Used a werebeast to sort out the useless child and kill all but the toughest.  Managed to convince people to overlook his child genocide in favor of joining a ''don't do work'' movement, essentially locking down any progress in the fortress. Seems innocent and lazy in appearance, but possess incredible management and organisation skills when needed. Cruely efficient and definitely smarter than PsychoAngel, and possesses advanced manipulation skills.
Evaluation: harmless in appearance, but definitely more than he pretends. Use caution and subtlety with this one.

*Eldin00*
Critical info: Rather unremarkable reign as overseer, mostly elected due to being more popular than TheCheeseMaker at the time. Promoted to nobility after he set up magma forges.
Evaluation: seemingly clean, possibly nothing than a pawn.

*Iamblichos*
Critical info: seemingly took up the job because it was handed to him. accepted because it involved dealing with shiny items. resigned after being told what was happening and having to take decisions became too much work.
Evaluation: Seemingly clean.

*Gwolfsky2*
Status: Obviously Gwolfsky under disguise. Glorious founder
Critical info: ''"What did i say? didn't i tell you all i would come back to power again ?'' Murdered Salmeuk out of spite, faked his own death in a chasm he himself set up, and came back to power. His activities as overseer are undocumented and shadowy. Seemingly responsible for building a factory under the mountain, while emptying part of it to sabotage the fortress. Hurriedly turned off the machinery before I took over, and pretend that it is merely a water turbine. Not very good at assumed identities. Promoted a mad doctor to the ranks of chief engineer.
Evaluation: 50 shades of shady

Spoiler: ooc (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:52:29 pm by Taupe »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2015, 04:40:51 am »

good thing im after you. You dont need pillars anymore!

That  bif room with a white masons workshop was for broducing lovely quartzite/marble blocks!

DO NOT PULL THE RED LEVER!!!! actually, you can, but pull it only ONCE for safety reasons. THe  second pull wil l UNSEAL the caverns!
It toggles all the safety bridges
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2015, 08:03:26 am »

letter to Cheesemaker

Dear chearemaker,
Beware of the new dwarf. only yestaerday, he barged into my room, and tried to arrest me for killing some miner. Jeez, it was the miners fault.

2nd point: I am not a terrorist . I am better than terrorists!

3 rd point: brinignig mr.Dwarfperson to the water area is a good idea...

Sicerely, Gwolf2ki.

{if ypu coul rename Gwolfski ii to Gwolf2ki it would be great. just do it!!!1}

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2015, 09:56:18 pm »

Autumn is finished since this afternoon, and I'm confident that going through winter will only take moments because nothing happens ever. However, I've been sick since yesterday and today it has hit me the hardest. My brain is too feverish to propose something coherent in terms of update, so expect something tomorrow instead. Sorry for the delay.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2015, 10:51:19 pm »

19 Galena, 132

Dear Gwolfski,

First, I'm not sure why we're writing letters to each other.  We live in the same fortress, and our rooms aren't even that far from each other.  All writing letters will do is leave a paper trail so that anyone who wanted could discover what we are saying to each other.  Maybe we should meet in person.

I noted in your letter that you said you are not a terrorist.  This is good, for I too am not a terrorist, because terrorists are evil people who use fear to attempt to control people, and I am not one.  We should get together sometime and discuss how we're both not terrorists.

Now to the main point of my letter.  You implied that you wanted me to drown Urist Dwarfperson.  While I agree that the overseer needs to be...removed from power, I feel that drowning is not the best way to accomplish the task.  It's too obvious, too likely.  Both of us have bad track records with drowning people, so others would immediately suspect us.

Meet me at a later date in your office.  I feel that something is not quite right in the fortress, like someone is watching.  I wish to speak with you in private, where we can talk without fear of eavesdroppers.

Sincerely,
TheCheeseMaker

OOC: I asked this last time but noticed it hasn't happened yet.  Could you add me back  into the turn list?
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2015, 12:01:38 am »

Autumn is finished since this afternoon, and I'm confident that going through winter will only take moments because nothing happens ever. However, I've been sick since yesterday and today it has hit me the hardest. My brain is too feverish to propose something coherent in terms of update, so expect something tomorrow instead. Sorry for the delay.

No worries. You've been one of the better players about playing and providing updates in a timely manner so far in this train wreck of a fortress.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2015, 03:44:33 am »

Dear cheesemaker,
I agree . letters are stupid. meet me in the old coffin room and burn all the letters. i dont feel safe in my office either

{i did add you to the list}

Ribbonfree

• Bay Watcher
  • we 【=◈︿◈=】 boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2015, 04:48:04 am »

Could I take a turn at it? I promise I'll be competent... :3

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2015, 10:18:58 am »

okay

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2015, 04:31:29 pm »

Competence isn't actually a prerequisite to take a turn here. Just read through the turns so far if you don't believe me :p

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2015, 04:39:09 pm »

Competence isn't actually a prerequisite to take a turn here. Just read through the turns so far if you don't believe me :p

just dont flood the fort. again.

Ribbonfree

• Bay Watcher
  • we 【=◈︿◈=】 boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2015, 05:56:50 pm »

but i like fortress flooding

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2015, 06:22:59 pm »

Crewedgears Investigation -- Autumn report

It has become clear that the local undercover terrorists are wary, and looking for any potential spy amidst the population. As soon as my yearly term as overseer is over, I shall request an extraction. Staying here is less and less safe with each passing day, I fear. regardless, I must do my best to remain in-0character and upgrade this fortress as befits my role.

The worker strike is thankfully over, and people have resumed work. They still refuse to haul anything that's ''somewhat far away'', but work on the new rooms is progressing swimmingly. The furnitures are ready to be hauled in place.

Someone made a piece of wooden jewelry. Ok.

It's a good thing that the workers are back in business, because we have much to do! the caravans are here, and with them, a chance to acquire food. I order the gems, large gems, and rock crafts moved to the depot, alongside some old clothes. PsychoAngel is our designated broker, but thanks to lazyness or being a moron, he still don't know the value of anything. He sends someone else to do the transaction, improving his appraise skill not at all.

The news from the mountainhomes are few, but I'm told that a settlement has failed to the Cruelty of Frenzy, which is a code phrase for ''how are things here?'' I reply that ''our fortunes rise and fall as one'', which is a subtle reply meaning ''I'll need an extraction come winter''.

The gems are traded for various food, cheeses, and drinks, as well as fruits and plump helmet spawns. I explain to the outpost liason that our priority next week will also be food and drinks.

With the food secured for a few months, it is time to turn my attention once more to housing our dwarves. Many citizens of the Crewedgears still don't hold claim to a bedroom, and I shall solve that. In the middle of the fortress, right under the main entrances and the food production, I design a new living quarter. Every room will be accessible via the staircase quickly, and a dinning hall + food stockpile shall make life easy for those here.

To keep TheCheeseMaker busy and unable to put forth any schemes, I've placed endless orders for the new rooms, as well as various things that should keep some workers busy. He won't have time to do anything else now!

Our resident master engraver, Ted, is hard at work as well, making sure the new rooms are as pretty as they can be. To speed up the smoothing process, I've given him a few assistants from the latest waves of migrants. smoothing various large rooms shall train them fast enough.

Ted has already completed the bedrooms made earlier this year, housing twenty-five dwarves plus their children. Way to go, Ted.

Now, he and his apprentices will have to smoothe all those bedrooms, then engrave them. Good news is, once this project is complete, the fortress will have enough bedroom for everyone, until children reach adulthood. thankfully, the design can be expanded on the sides, by looping the corridors around.

It seems that eldin00 the duke has a few requests of his own for his private bedroom. He wants a copper weapon rack in his office. I'm pretty sure he already has 5 weapon racks in said room, including two golden ones, but apparently this is important. I've set the magma sdmelters to slowly eat through our various ores, including tetrahedrite.

Btw, I now know why people were fervently mining bitumous coal and lignite earlier. because instead of using the forges downstairs, people have been producing charcoal and coal nonstop to power the old forges aboveground. Obviously I've put a stop to this.

The mayor also has demands, but this one will prove a bit more tricky. A large gem, and the way I see it that won't be the last one. I've designated some jewelers to the task, four or five of them, and they shall cut gems nonstop. Two workshops exist upstairs, near the giant 2-floor high useless room filled with gems, and I've added two other workshops in the lower masonry central room, alongside the existing gem pile.  Hopefully that'll take care of that.

Spoiler: OOC notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 06:25:50 pm by Taupe »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2015, 02:53:03 am »

Crewedgears Investigation -- Final report

Before I leave crewedgears, I had the good idea to conduct some more investigation concerning the presumed terrorists. I managed to secure the help of one of the few ''survivor'' children, the only victims of TheCheeseMaker to make it past his devious purge. the child was all too happy to help me bring this treacherous scum to justice. I asked him and his friends to throw parties regularly, making sure the manage was invited and distracted. As such I found a letter dropped by Gwolfsky2, which prevent incriminating evidences for the two dwarves concerned. A copy of those letters is included in the annex of this report. Thanks, kid.

The fort now contains a new wooden artefact. PsychoAngel, being the idiot he is, cannot tell me how much it is worth. I am now convinced that he is not part of the conspiracy, altho I wish he was, because he'd just ruin it.

The main event of winter was the arrival of an Etin. I tried to kill it with a raising bridge, but the poor labbeling of bridges and levers madfe this impossible.

Here are some examples of levers, which all contain no information regarding their purpose. In another spot, two levers mention being used for a ''wodden bridge'' and a kaolinite bridge''. Sadly there are 4 wooden bridges around them, and all of them are wired with kaolinite mechanisms. Good organisation there.

Despite being enamored with wooden shields of low quality, the soldiers of Crewedgears proved to be efficient warrior, cornering, surrounding and slaying the Ettin without too much trouble. The final blow is credited to Tulon. Good job, soldier, here's a bravery medal!

I also spotted Gwolfsky coming out of the battle. He informed me the reason he was not counting stocks was because he was learning to kill things with a sword. I told him he was exempted from military service, and sent him back to his office. We now have accurate accounts in the fortress once more. Sadly, PsychoAngel still doesnt know how to count, so we cannot know how much our wealth adds up to. Last reports indicated over 5 million total.

A jeweler grabbed exactly one piece of gemstone and started working on an artefact at the jeweler workshop. He wasn't done when I last saw him, but what he claims to be a ''mysterious construction'' is most obviously a large gem.

The old crypts have been finished with more golden statue, and a stone floor should prevent any fungi trees to overwhelm the area. It's not ideal, but the dead should rest easier.

The new crypt is also finished, sporting high-value sarcophagi for 24 dwarves. The place is worthy of a metropolis such as this one. Don't worry about the golden furnitures, I've had the idlers gather gold, smelt it and carry it back up for the whole season.

The hospital is also improved, and suitably decorated.

In addition to tombs and a hospital, those new rooms are now mostly complete, thanks to my imposed ''no lazyness'' policy. Every member of the fortress is now housed, and the children that lack a room are actually living with their parents. The dinning hall staffed with various masterwork statues has already become a favorite spot for parties and meetings.

The introduction of bedrooms and a non-zero amount of food has won the fort over, and according to an early winter census, 111 dwarves were ecstatic, and 77 more were very happy. The total rounds up to 135 ecstatic dwarves at the end of the season. With exactly zero deaths, my rule as overseer and special agent for the Ministry of Not Dying Horribly was a success. the place is now safer, more confortable, and I managed to unearth the criminal activities of two previous overseers.

The minister read the whole thing, and nodded his head.

''Good job, agent Roosevelt. It is a shame that you could not arrest any of those. Still, discovering part of the plot is a great step foward.
-My undercover identity had become compromised, as you just read. It wasn't safe for me there anymore.
-Indeed. In time we will have to dispatch other agents to crack the nut.
-May I suggest contacting one of the so called ''survivors?. they just came of age, and seem to mistrust the terrorists entirely. they would make ideal informants.
-Agreed. I pray to Armok that your work there can delay the destruction of this fortress, until we can set things right for good.  I see you lived up to expectations, agent. A great record. Still zero horrible deaths in 10 years.
-Thank you, minister. Shall I establish communication with one of the survivor?
-Yes, please do so. That will be all, agent.''

Roosevelt noded, and left. Emily was there, waiting for the debriefing. ''I need a vacation'' she said. ''Don't we all?'' responded Roosevelt. He turned to the young clerk who had masqueraded as his son for the last year. ''I'll have a letter to deliver before the afternoon is over. Make sure it reaches Crewedgears and isn't detected. Use our highest channels.'' The clerk nodded.

Taupe was the name of the survivor he'd be using as an inside agent. I hope I'm not putting his life at risk...

Save is here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10982
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20