Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naming your civs  (Read 923 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Naming your civs
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:21:28 pm »

Ok so Iv been regenerating, and regenerating and regenerating worlds over and over just trying to get a world that is just right, to find almost every time I get a civ called maybe the kingdom of flesh or the kingdom of farting, something that just... sucks ya know? and when your only civ of a specific race is named something so uncool it can ruin that world gen, for me at least... I find it would remove alot of the busy work from my job if I could just name the civ by tinkering with the word and language files, is there a way to do this? I managed to tinker with them in order to have all human civs called kingdoms or empires and so i know its possible to change the words associated with specific entities, but I think i need some advice on going about naming them specifically.

anyone know how to do this? I noticed symbles that get culled and favored but i am not sure how to go about editing all these things.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Naming your civs
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:48:29 pm »

The main token that is important here is this one:

[SELECT_SYMBOL:CIV:NAME_ENTITY_KINGDOM]

It is responsible for civilizations to be called kingdoms and such. SELECT_SYMBOL has a companion, SUBSELECT_SYMBOL that causes the other part of the name to be drawn from the given symbol. So if you were to add

[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:CIV:MYTHIC]

to the human civ, you should get Empires of Dragons, Kingdoms of Angels, and so on. This works for any symbol, so if you want empires with fire-themed names, you'd use

[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:CIV:FIRE]

and so on.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 12:24:15 am »

The main token that is important here is this one:

[SELECT_SYMBOL:CIV:NAME_ENTITY_KINGDOM]

It is responsible for civilizations to be called kingdoms and such. SELECT_SYMBOL has a companion, SUBSELECT_SYMBOL that causes the other part of the name to be drawn from the given symbol. So if you were to add

[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:CIV:MYTHIC]

to the human civ, you should get Empires of Dragons, Kingdoms of Angels, and so on. This works for any symbol, so if you want empires with fire-themed names, you'd use

[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:CIV:FIRE]

and so on.

I cant find subselect:civ, I just see subselect: without the civ, and its all like subselect:war and such.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 04:04:57 am »

That's because only the human entity uses it by default. The rest just go with everything in the book minus the [CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:xyz] stuff.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:07:16 am by scamtank »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 05:13:28 am »

You can look into the language_SYMBOL file to see which group your bad words are.

However there will always be a littel entropy as the game sometimes pick a random word for giggles.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:15:16 am by Boltgun »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 05:56:02 am »

If all else fails you could make a new [SYMBOL:] which only contained words you like.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 06:03:50 am »

I cant find subselect:civ, I just see subselect: without the civ, and its all like subselect:war and such.

It's not there by default, that's why I said you need to add it.

However there will always be a littel entropy as the game sometimes pick a random word for giggles.
It's pretty rare when you use both SELECT_SYMBOL and SUBSELECT_SYMBOL though - most of the time, you'll only get words from the two symbols, I believe even if the game uses more than two words for the entity (but don't quote me on that).

If all else fails you could make a new [SYMBOL:] which only contained words you like.
That's definitely the best option.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu