Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GOTTA GO FAST - A little game about moving quickly  (Read 5022 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GOTTA GO FAST - A little game about moving quickly
« on: February 25, 2015, 06:26:07 pm »

I needed to step back from the clusterfuck that I've made of Warden, so I spent a week doing something completely different. As luck would have it, I was listening to random songs from old video game soundtracks and 'Escape from the City' from Sonic Adventure 2 came on. I wondered what would happen if I set this character's sprint speed multiplier to 14. Turns out that it made what I was working on way more fun, and, long story short, I suddenly was working on something completely different than I had anticipated.

PC Version 3
Mac Version 3

It's a small game, only 30 MB. WASD to move, mouse to look around, space to jump. Collect power-ups to fill up your boost meter and go fast. My best lap time is 1:01 0:59.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something about the power-ups. Blues are weak, yellows are medium, reds are strong, and whites are full.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:12:03 pm by Araph »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GOTTA GO FAST - A little game about moving quickly
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 06:01:47 pm »

PC Version 2
Mac Version 2

Update with map improvements and general pretty-fication. Out of curiosity, did anybody actually try out the game? I didn't really expect much of a reaction, but the complete lack of response is unusual.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 06:09:20 pm »

Downloading, will post feedback if I remember to later.
EDIT: Pretty fun, with not many obvious flaws; the only one I could find being that it's..really hard to tell where you're supposed to go, and just how fast you move throws you off the main course very easily. Add some signs pointing which direction you're supposed to go, maybe?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:16:50 pm by darkpaladin109 »

sirboomalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:14:22 pm »

I just tried it, was silly and fun. Woe unto all who attempt to cheat and go off-path  :P

Best time: 1:36

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 06:28:39 pm »

The animation is hilarious. Love it.

I do have some criticism though. I don't think the max speed is high enough.

GOTTA GO FASTER
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:51:01 pm »

HOLY SHIT ITS AN EASTER EGG! CUMON STEP IT UP!!!!
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 04:35:56 am »

This is far too fun than it has any right to be.

Many fasts were had.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 06:39:23 am »

PC Version 2
Mac Version 2

Update with map improvements and general pretty-fication. Out of curiosity, did anybody actually try out the game? I didn't really expect much of a reaction, but the complete lack of response is unusual.
I know they are, like, 500 pixels apart but would you mind updating the OP when you post a fresh version?

Now to my impressions:
I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I ran around like it was a sandbox, but
Best time: 1:36
implies that was wrong.

You can fall off the edge of the world, and you won't die, which means you have to manualy quit (to menu, thankfully.) and restart.
Also, the protagonists tends to face-plant every time you stop moving. What's up with that?
The controls are hard, but I assume that part of the challenge.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:50:11 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 12:06:02 pm »

I FOUND 8 SANICS. THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 01:15:24 pm »

Somehow I first thought the main character was a ninja.

Also I've got 0:56 by going backwards a little and then returning. Suggest adding checkpoints along the path to fix that (and also to indicate where the hell I'm supposed to be going I feel like I'm going backwards half the time)

EDIT: Also can please less slippery at high speed? It's counter-intuitive and makes a lot of paths unavailable at MACH SPEED.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:41:23 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 02:12:49 pm »

I'm kinda reminded of InMomentum (you can go up to 300m/s if you're good enough), except with less jumping (and no wall-jumping), but having plenty of orbs to collect down the path to the finish line as fast as possible. Kinda hard to find an optimal path, and stick to it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:19:20 pm by Itnetlolor »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 02:33:56 pm »

Ha!
I played the first version for 5 minutes.  Couldn't stop smiling.  Thanks for sharing!
I maxed out the bar a few times but didn't complete a lap, eventually careened off the edge on purpose.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 08:13:03 pm »

Better then most sonic games!

I liked it.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 10:23:41 pm »

Thanks for playing and the feedback everybody! I made a couple tweaks based on your suggestions, adding in directions along the course and making the character controls a little less floaty.

PC Version 3
Mac Version 3

GOTTA GO FASTER

CUMON STEP IT UP

And the animation (and entire character, really) were originally from a very different game. I just sped the animation up to 8x its normal speed because it had to go faster. It had the unintentional (but not unwelcome) side-effect of making the animation be very silly.

HOLY SHIT ITS AN EASTER EGG! CUMON STEP IT UP!!!!

SHH, THE SANICS MUST BE KEPT SECRET :P

i have no idea why i'm playing this at 4 in the morning

Because this kind of game feeds off of the same mentality that leads to me still being on Imgur at 2:00 AM.

I FOUND 8 SANICS. THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER.

I think there might be more than that, but I never actually counted when splattering them across the map.

Suggest adding checkpoints along the path to fix that (and also to indicate where the hell I'm supposed to be going I feel like I'm going backwards half the time)

EDIT: Also can please less slippery at high speed? It's counter-intuitive and makes a lot of paths unavailable at MACH SPEED.

There actually is a checkpoint back behind the starting area, but I'll go back and make sure it's less exploitable soon. I did add in arrows to point people in the right direction along the track, as well as increasing the speed at which the character responds to the camera turning.

Ha!
I played the first version for 5 minutes.  Couldn't stop smiling.  Thanks for sharing!
I maxed out the bar a few times but didn't complete a lap, eventually careened off the edge on purpose.

Glad you had fun! :D

Better then most sonic games!

I liked it.

Thanks! I'm really tempted to make a joke about the quality of most Sonic games, but I'll just stick with a thank you.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 10:42:19 pm »

Sonic games endlessly piss me off.

This, however, made my day.

Also, 1:02.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: [1] 2