Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What dictates possible names for mountains?  (Read 1190 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What dictates possible names for mountains?
« on: February 26, 2015, 11:18:31 pm »

What dictates possible names for mountains? and I dont mean things like peek, mountain, canyon, I mean the other part like the mountains of "kings" or the mountains of "fire"  the second part, there names, what dictates that?

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What dictates possible names for mountains?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:19:04 pm »

In the language file i mean, like words and SYM text file.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 04:20:59 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140015.0

5 posts on the first page, all single questions. Why not use the modding questions thread?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 01:06:03 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140015.0

5 posts on the first page, all single questions. Why not use the modding questions thread?

I dont see my question here...

I didnt use it cause its exceedingly easy to be overlooked or ignored with so many people asking questions, and I didnt know about it.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:43:35 pm »

I believe it is in the language_SYM file, under NAME_MOUNTAINS.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 01:50:46 pm »

That's exactly the part DizzyCrash didn't want to know about. Unfortunately, I don't think that those parts of the name are governed by a symbol - they're taken from any word available, I believe, and in this case, there's no way to control what words get used.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 02:48:31 pm »

That's exactly the part DizzyCrash didn't want to know about. Unfortunately, I don't think that those parts of the name are governed by a symbol - they're taken from any word available, I believe, and in this case, there's no way to control what words get used.

I was hoping there would be a list it takes from so that it doesnt get stuff like "Mountains of Water" and I  could just simply add cool words to it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 03:09:53 pm »

Insofar as I recall, it depends on various details about the biome itself. Evil biomes are more likely to get evil sounding names, for example.

Probably because you haven't posted it there yet.

Even just glancing at the thread, it seems most questions are being answered, and almost immediately as well. Even if your question did get missed, I doubt anyone would mind if you asked again after a few pages.
On Bay12 we tend to prefer posting things in existing threads, rather than making a new thread for every idea under the sun. For asking a two-line question you really ought to use the thread for it. Reduces clutter, basically.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 03:38:12 pm »

Insofar as I recall, it depends on various details about the biome itself. Evil biomes are more likely to get evil sounding names, for example.
Good and evil are about the only things that have an effect on naming beyond the biome itself, and the hills/flatlands distinction. A Forest of Apples currently isn't especially likely to have apple trees, and Iron Peaks may well lack in iron ore.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 04:59:35 pm »

Probably because you haven't posted it there yet.

Even just glancing at the thread, it seems most questions are being answered, and almost immediately as well. Even if your question did get missed, I doubt anyone would mind if you asked again after a few pages.
On Bay12 we tend to prefer posting things in existing threads, rather than making a new thread for every idea under the sun. For asking a two-line question you really ought to use the thread for it. Reduces clutter, basically.

in all fairness i wasnt aware of the topic..

But I do feel like I would miss out on a extended discussion of it that covers all the bases... I feel like it usually takes me like 4 or 5 replies before somebody narrows down my issue, I have a feeling it would be moved on from rather fast on there...
But  iwill keep it in mind for future questions.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 01:54:48 am »

What makes a mountain being sandled more likely than a mountain being the mountain of dragons or trees?