Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Realistic Honey Badgers  (Read 1176 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Realistic Honey Badgers
« on: February 27, 2015, 10:33:04 am »

Real life honey badgers have several special powers that are not represented in DF.  I'm looking for advice about how to add in these abilities, both for honey badgers as the animal, and for a honey badger men civilization for Furry Fortress. 

• Immunity to poison - Honey Badgers are more or less immune to poison.  This is mostly a defense against honey bees, but it also gives them the ability to eat poison snakes.  A snakebite that would kill a lion just puts a honey badger to sleep for a few minutes.  This is probably the easiest one to, just remove the [GENERAL_POISON] token. 
  • Thick Skin - Honey Badger hide is incredibly thick and resistant to damage, reportedly capable of resisting arrows, spears and machetes.  I assume this would require creating a special tissue for honey badgers, which I don't really understand how to do. 
  • Stink Attack - Honey Badgers are related to skunks and have a similar stink attack for those moments when incredibly strength and immunity to poison and sharp implements is insufficient.  I think this could work as a breath attack that inflicts a dizziness/nausea syndrome. 
  • Running Backwards - This is rarely listed on animal fact sheets, but in videos, honey badgers often gallop backwards almost as fast as they go forward.  At first it seems like a bad idea, but if you're impervious to everything, it starts to make more sense. 
  • Intelligent - They are smart enough to use tools and can open doors:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c36UNSoJenI

Some fun documentaries: (not the viral video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45EbX3XPuqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Avu43B6Xw
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic Honey Badgers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 11:01:26 am »

Wolverines are another member of Mustalidae that isn't badass enough in this game.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 11:09:59 am »

The 'can open doors' part should not be so difficult to mod in.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:17:12 pm »

For thicker skin you should be able to add:

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:ALL]
[TL_RELATIVE_THICKNESS:2]

Skin has a default relative thickness of 1.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:53:03 pm »

I doubt just making the skin that bit thicker will do all that much, its volume is still close to negligible and its material properties are not actually stronger than that of muscle.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 01:11:26 pm »

In addition to making it thicker, you could add a new material, call it [TOUGH_SKIN] or something of the sort, which is more resilient than normal skin. This could be used for other animals with thick, damage resistant hides.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 02:06:25 pm »

I doubt just making the skin that bit thicker will do all that much, its volume is still close to negligible and its material properties are not actually stronger than that of muscle.
I had some success testing making chitin layers thicker, but it was a long time ago and my methodology was likely flawed; You know your DF material science better than me.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 08:41:27 am »

You can simply alter the existing skin material with this [SELECT_MATERIAL:SKIN] which is going to be easier than adding a whole new set of templates and such when your doing this for just one creature.

Increasing the shear values would be the sensible way to do this I think. A quick-n-dirty explanation of material strength: The first value is the point where the material starts to deform permanently (higher is stronger), the next is where it breaks entirely (higher is stronger, should be equal or higher than the 1st) and the 3rd is how much the material can bend without being damaged (higher is more elastic, not always 'better or worse').

Setting the shear values to that of bone for instance should give it some protection to biting, though you will probably need the thickness increase Vattic posted. Badger are fairly small and will likely still not do well against being hit with a sword, but it should protect against a glancing blow at least.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 01:08:58 pm »

Instead of trying to redesign their biology, just boost their physical and mental attributes where appropriate.  DISEASE_RESISTANCE will make them take less negative effects from poison (without making them completely immune, which is unrealistic), TOUGHNESS will reduce damage from physical implements, and WILLPOWER will let them keep fighting even when in extreme pain.  Might also want to boost some of their personality values like BRAVERY (which will make them more willing to fight larger enemies instead of running away).

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 08:48:35 pm »

I like IndigoFenix's solution because it sounds the easiest. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.