Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: best way to play adventure mode?  (Read 1544 times)

woofinator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
best way to play adventure mode?
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:08:41 pm »

I've been playing .4 a lot, but miss some of the simplicity in.34, where bandit camps actually fight you and stuff. And I never tried adventure mode on the genesis mod. I'll surely be trying both eventually, but some feedback on ways to get the most enjoyment out of adventure mode would be much appreciated.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: best way to play adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:27:33 pm »

Build a barely penetrable fortress littered with traps and minimum 150+ citizen and then start an elven adventurer with the goal to find and single handedly destroy that fortress after you have retired it. :P
Always fun.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 12:15:44 pm »

Rescue kids from goblins. It's so satisfying to reunite them with their parents.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:27:52 pm »

Additionally i found it much more fun to play with a peasant starting character in df 40.x , it helps a little bit to balance with the 40.x loss of the 34.11 level of threat the normal (bandit/etc...) enemies were giving you.

Playing with hero/demigod seems to turn every bandits and goblins into ultra-pacifists that nearly never react to you hitting them , well if you don't count the "is that a weapon ? what's going on" silly spam everytime you're going to strike them.

I really miss the 34.11 bandit and their really though bosses, they were great challenges and often epic battles when you were taken on them with your party.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 12:30:54 pm »

Yeah, there used to be a ton of weapon masters if you knew where to look, but now there's only a handful. You're almost reduced to tomb-diving to find high-quality weapons now.

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 02:22:20 pm »

*Disembowels some guy's boss*
"What's going on?"
"Is that a weapon?"
"Death is all around!"
"It is terrifying."
You: "It was inevitable."

Basically sums up .40.xx

icer667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 02:40:50 pm »

I totally agree with you. 34.xx seems a lot simpler than 40.xx for adventure mode. In some ways, this is a good thing, but in other ways this is terrible. I miss the simplicity of the quest log of 34, because now it takes me hours to find the quest I want to complete. Everything runs slower in this version, while on 34 I'll be able to speed through it with no issues. The good part about this release is the increase of content and options for adventure mode.

I just hope toady fixes the quest log and bandits, so that they are actually tough to beat.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:35:09 pm »

I totally agree with you. 34.xx seems a lot simpler than 40.xx for adventure mode. In some ways, this is a good thing, but in other ways this is terrible. I miss the simplicity of the quest log of 34, because now it takes me hours to find the quest I want to complete. Everything runs slower in this version, while on 34 I'll be able to speed through it with no issues. The good part about this release is the increase of content and options for adventure mode.

I just hope toady fixes the quest log and bandits, so that they are actually tough to beat.
as a person who played 40d onward adventure mode had a lot taken away for some cool toys. Mostly we just now got migrating people and mead_halls. all we are missing are beds, inns, the chance to wreck a town by killing off the head leader, and politics leading to a visible war due to all the migrants are forced to move to an elven retreat that's super pissed off with everyone else.  but I'm Derailing a best way to play Adventure mode.
So far if you went from 34.xx murderhoboin your way around the hamlet only wasteland then jumping into 40 will have some trouble. But at least now you can steal peoples money pouches and loot their weapon.
best think of the bandits as the new groundhog and just grind up Xp so you can take on the even more tougher foes that hang out deep below or in towers since chances are you will walk yourself into one of those and get gank by the very highpowered enemies that don't shed a tear or run away in fear.
also ignore peasant reactions to your murderhoboin mostly because they don't really have a personal reason for hating the guys they tell rumors about unless they straight up say so in so murdered my uncle or something.
"I wasn't there thus I don't care" is the motto for most folks in DF.  40 introduces climbing and gait mechanics which you could use to just scale places and jump around for the hell of it.
there's also Trading and giving and taking items from people so you could just drop the murder hoboin for being a trader and see how much wealth can you accumulate before a random bandit decides to kill you.
also become a lord/lady take over lands then stash all your wealth in one spot.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 10:14:36 pm »

God I don't know what I would do without jumping and climbing, but I started in 40.06 I think.

My first experience in adventure mode was with a dorf I took from my own fort after he was already all legendary and decked out in artifact steel carrying a platinum war hammer. I don't know why I waited so long to do that, it's amazing how much it changes the way you look at things after stepping past the edges of your fort.

So I would say the best way to play adventure mode is to mix it liberally with fortress mode, start forts, unretire forts, make things with the idea that an adventurer will come by, leave caches of gear around, see if you can get events from your fort or adventurer to show up in the other mode, and so forth.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 08:22:25 am »

So I would say the best way to play adventure mode is to mix it liberally with fortress mode, start forts, unretire forts, make things with the idea that an adventurer will come by, leave caches of gear around, see if you can get events from your fort or adventurer to show up in the other mode, and so forth.
^ this
Play it like a boss, juggling companions, vampires, werebeasts and death like flaming, acidic, axiomatic, vorpal, returning chainswords while holding your triplets and hauling some Armok damned microline, limping with a crutch, covered in robes like a dungeon master, flasks and water skins filled with all manner of alcohol, two backpacks one filled with heads the other weapons and a bloodcap wood barrel filled with vampire blood and yet drinking living entitys blood disturbs your friends, not when you lick it off the floor however. No you can butcher a man and eat him, but never choke him unconsious just for a litre of blood.
An army if screaming masked kids hypnotized to do your bidding "yes master I am a soldier."
That is how you play adventure mode.
With blood in mind

The Edit of Armok:
Being obese is like a layer of armor so its very handy.
But to add to the sickness of such, one often ritualisticly burns fat off to prevent further burning. Fight fire with fire.
Its a new diet us real adventures participate in. I made some tallow for dinner guys..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:00:18 am by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

woofinator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 03:10:38 pm »

Yeah I can't really go into towns or dark fortresses because I play on an older laptop, so I just make a shit ton of beasts in advanced world gen haha.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 08:14:05 pm »

Violently.
Regards,
Dampe