Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Under ground trade routes  (Read 3285 times)

timmah612

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Under ground trade routes
« on: February 27, 2015, 10:50:28 pm »

Im sure it has been asked a million times, but could someone make a mod for subterranean trade routes? like i seal off the fort ripping up the surface with obstacles and walls then guide my merchants in through some tunnels, Like replace surface roads with underground tunnels, i picture it like the deep roads from dragon age where the tunnels connected the entire civilization across an entire continent really deep under ground., requirements like the walls being engraved and the floors paved all the way to the depot would kind of make sense, preventing merchants from wandering in deep in the cavern layers that connect to the borders of the map. I rambled a bit here but i always found it a little weird that the race that specializes in tunneling and underground fortresses cant make a few roads under the earth. and again, sorry if this is a horse that has already been beaten to death.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Under ground trade routes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 08:03:19 pm »

I don't believe it's possible to mod in, but it seems like something Toady might add eventually given that in world generation fortresses dwarves have huge underground tunnel networks connecting almost every underground based settlement in their civ. The mountainhomes site type can even only be accessed through these tunnels, so probably during the army arc or some other arc about interacting with the rest of the world, maybe when having surrounding hill dwarf sites get added in. Once they get added they'll probably be pretty labor intensive to make. You'd need miners to mine what would quite likely be a very long distance to the mountainhomes and maybe soldiers to guard them in case they break the caverns. Anyway though, you're talking about modding this, which sadly isn't possible. Caravans can leave through the caverns though, so it seems like it might be possible with DFhack, but I've asked before and the answer was no.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 08:58:46 pm »

If you're in Fortress Mode, you can build your Trade Depot in a cavern and (dwarf) merchants will enter through the caverns instead of overland. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 02:12:37 am »

If you're in Fortress Mode, you can build your Trade Depot in a cavern and (dwarf) merchants will enter through the caverns instead of overland.
Really? Is that actually true? Have you done it? I so want to do this now I was told that that wouldn't happen, but if it can then that's fantastic.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:51:28 pm »

It wasn't that way in 34.11, I have no idea about 40.x, but I doubt it.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 07:42:42 am »

Really? Is that actually true? Have you done it? I so want to do this now I was told that that wouldn't happen, but if it can then that's fantastic.

Yes, I have definitely seen dwarves appear from underground to use the trade depot, and I have definitely seen elves having to climb down 100 stairs to use it.  Note that it may be hard to find a spot with wagon access underground because of all the tight spaces. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 08:31:21 am »

Hmmm, now I'm curious if you could get a reclaim fort with a tunnel present, seal off the surface access, and still get trading done through the tunnel.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 12:10:31 pm »

Hmmm, now I'm curious if you could get a reclaim fort with a tunnel present, seal off the surface access, and still get trading done through the tunnel.
From the two times I've tried reclaiming world generation fortresses they didn't have any tunnels, which is likely indicative that the tunnels get removed because every world generation fortress I've adventured to has had tunnels. It's worth trying a few more times though.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 11:38:41 pm »

Just grabbed this one and reclaimed > reveal > grabbed this before even unpausing.

Not only a tunnel but one with intact connections to other forts in the area, I knew where it was from using the tunnels before, but I've reclaimed several with intact tunnels now since I tend to use quick reclaim -> force moods for artifacts -> switch to adventurer mode and play with the toys when I'm in the mood for it, and it's faster than digging out a fort by hand generally, plus there will usually be easy access to magma and occasionally candy.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 09:24:10 am »

Yes, I have definitely seen dwarves appear from underground to use the trade depot, and I have definitely seen elves having to climb down 100 stairs to use it.  Note that it may be hard to find a spot with wagon access underground because of all the tight spaces.

I decided to try that again to double check.  I was using a custom race that is mostly copied from dwarves (Lagomers), and they did not approach the fortress from underground.  There were no Lagomer settlements nearby, so that might have something to do with it.  So there might be more to this. 

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 01:19:32 pm »

Caravan merchants will leave underground but they will not enter from the underground I think.  It will all be 'fixed' I hope when Toady One gets round to making caravans actually move across the map. 

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 02:19:09 pm »

Caravan merchants will leave underground but they will not enter from the underground I think.  It will all be 'fixed' I hope when Toady One gets round to making caravans actually move across the map.
"Alright, everyone.  According to the map, we're here at Helmetgilded, a prosperous fort with interesting gems and a thriving textile industry.  Let's see... where's the gate?"
*one of the caravan guards whispers in the trader's ear*
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY HAVEN'T BREACHED THE CAVERNS YET?!  Alright everyone, turn around!  There's a tunnel to the surface six days east of here.  If they think they're getting our trade goods at a decent price, they have another thing coming..."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 12:27:46 am »

Well, you can definitely find merchants underground, but I think that is mostly a bug from returning to a retired fort as an adventurer... took a lot of magma to clean up.

Great, now I want to dig down to a tunnel with a fresh fort.