Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entities and Caravans  (Read 661 times)

AntisocialJusticeWarrior

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Entities and Caravans
« on: February 27, 2015, 11:40:39 pm »

Say I were to add 16 civilizations to dwarf fortress (actual civilizations, rather than cave people).  Would it be possible to make it so that the player doesn't receive 16 caravans every year without making any of said civilizations innately hostile through use of the [ITEM_THIEF], [SKULKING], or [BABY_SNATCHER] tokens?  Would it be possible to make caravans more sporadic and less predictable rather than once every season?

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entities and Caravans
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 12:26:17 am »

Well, you can remove access to horses, mules, and other WAGON_PULLERs and PACK_ANIMALs. A civ with neither will be listed on the neighbour screen as 'No Trade' - goblins can have this issue if you make them playable in their vanilla state.
Note that they could still potentially tame wild draft animals they come across, which would nix this fix, although it sounds like unpredictability is part of what you're going for.
Wild horses can be found in temperate grasslands/savannas, water buffalo in tropical swamps/marshes, and yaks in mountains.

Not sure it's possible to make them unpredictable, though - pretty sure that's locked to their ACTIVE_SEASON(s).

AntisocialJusticeWarrior

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 01:01:36 am »

Well that sucks.  I understand that in vanilla, though, the goblins are 'active' for all four seasons.  What exactly does this determine besides what seasons a civ will send a caravan?  If I set a friendly civ to be active all year round, will they send 4 caravans a year?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:04:35 am »

If I set a friendly civ to be active all year round, will they send 4 caravans a year?

Yep. 

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 05:35:19 pm »

Depending on how detailed these civs are, you could make several different civs with different ACTIVE_SEASONS and give each one a number of possible races.  For instance, if you used the vanilla entities but added elves to the PLAINS entity and humans to the FOREST entity, each civ of either type could have either elves or humans, so you wouldn't be able to tell immediately whether humans or elves would come in spring or summer, or for that matter which would bother you about trees and which would use metal.  With so many different civs and races and each race being able to be part of several possible civs, there would be a lot of variation in your worlds.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:55:50 am »

OMG that's why my angels weren't trading! No pack animals.