Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: OPPRESSION TOWER: Not just a one man army  (Read 25834 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: OPPRESSION TOWER: Now with update OP!
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2015, 09:12:05 am »

I'm guessing you're sending an SOS to the world. I hope that someone gets your message in a bottle.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2015, 02:13:39 pm »

We have over 600 iron bars, but only 1 steel bar. The issue is flux stone. To rectify this, I have sent the miners to dig. So far they have only discovered gold.

I have built a total of 17 bedrooms in the tower. The rate of completion should increase, as I am diverting dwarfs that were previously building the Grave-Room.

Malchite 8th. Discovered a Cavern, made of Marble. I can almost hear the steel now.

Malchite 28th.
A Giantess Appears. The militia is sent out.

The new Macedwarf and Hammerdwarf get there first. The Hammerdwarf starts by biting the giantess, and eventually they both fall into the river. Fortunately, the Hammerdwarf is a novice swimmer, and escapes. The Giantess escapes too, but is exhausted. Then the Macedwarf actually starts hitting the Giantess.

Needless to say, the Giantess dies from a Crushed Skull. There were no deaths other then the Giantess.

Nothing happens for a while after that: More MOAR MARBLE is mined, and I am in the process of creating more offices, along with an actual hospital. Most dwarfs are working on building more floors for more Oppression. The trade/industry level is being started: the depot still needs to be built, but I am starting to build workshops.
The dwarven caravan has arrived, along with the liaison.

Of course, as soon as they arrive, this beast appears.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, I take all their food, and a nice Steel Warhammer. They get some gems and crafts. I also recommend elevating the mayor to Baron.

Sandstone 1st. The mayor becomes the baron. Big surprise. The hospital is complete.

Sandstone 10th. A were-Rhino attacks. I send in the militia. The only death was a stray Lama. Severed parts are everywhere: I love axedwarfs.

Opal 7th: Another Were-Pig attack. The only injury was the Swordsdwarf having his leg mangled.
Also, the well is not working, despite being inside and underground. The Trade level is just about done: all that is left to add are walls. Steel production is up: we have 30 bars, and are making more.

Opal 26th: A Moria incident has occurred. We dug too much, and accidentally breached the cavern that had the Glass Poisons FB. 3 dwarves are dead: a miner, a potash maker, and a Macedwarf. We don't know what the poison will due to the surviving militia member. A speardwarf dueled the beast, and eventually won by (Literally) chipping it away. 3 deaths are a tragedy: 30 deaths are just !!fun!!.

The year is just about over. I might as well pass it on, as I was given the year a little early too.
Here is the Save: Knock yourself out.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:03:35 pm by maxcat61 »
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2015, 08:13:51 pm »

I think that I had 4 attacks during my turn. Anyways, Someone call the Orange Wizard.
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2015, 10:28:50 pm »

Hello!

I'm not really in fit state to take the turn, I'm afraid. This always happens when I take turns on succession forts, annoyingly enough. Anyway, might be best to skip me and I'll see if I can jump in at a later date.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2015, 10:52:46 pm »

Ok, I have sent a PM to Gamerdragon.
Also, can I be put on the list again?
I have made a "seal" to trap vamps (if you can identify them) on the highest level of the tower. The levers are appropriately marked, except for the one that both let the vamps in, and let them out: that lever is being deconstructed. You will need to replace it. Also, I beat both of the other overseer tomb with a tomb made of iron, with a Steel coffin.

Lastly, I had squeezed just about every oddle (ouu-dil) of work out of the dwarfs. My project was a 2 bridge execution platform that dropped a dwarf from the 2nd (or 3rd) highest level of the tower into the cavern. It took a little tinkering with burrows to get the experiments to consistently hit the target (Did you know that dwarf's don't fall straight down? It took a Master Gelder to find this out. And dwarfs sleeping on bridges can wake up and jump off before the said bridges retract if they are on the side of the said bridge?). Anything that makes the full fall tends to end up as a torso, 4 limbs, and a head/neck. Perfect for pesky nobles or Revolutionary Peasant's that need Oppressing.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2015, 10:58:28 pm »

Jahwhol! Downloading the save now. This should be interesting although I have little practice with marksdwarf squads so things just might go a little bit wrong.

EDIT: Damn! Your mining is good.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:55:27 pm by Gamedragon »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2015, 12:25:36 am »

Jahwhol! Downloading the save now. This should be interesting although I have little practice with marksdwarf squads so things just might go a little bit wrong.

EDIT: Damn! Your mining is good.

Hopefully you put in screenshots in your turn, unlike how the past few have gone.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2015, 12:28:05 am »

Yeah, sure thing.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2015, 09:26:34 am »

Oh, you want screenshots? I will post some in about an hour.

Edit:
Here is the map
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12431-oppressiontoweryear4end
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:42:53 am by maxcat61 »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: OPPRESSION TOWER: OP finally updated again!
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2015, 09:38:04 am »

maxcat61: You have been added to the repeat turns list.

Gamedragon: At the beginning of your turn, could you give me a list of named dwarves present in the fortress as well as dead named dwarves?

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2015, 12:49:57 pm »

Named Dwarfs (alive):
Deus Asmoth (Miner)
Ringo (gen setter)
Karevos (stoneworker)
Mastacheese (farmer)
Orange (Wizard)
Arx (Chief Medical Dwarf)
Zanzetkukebn (Temporal Professor)
Maxcat61 (Militia comander, Minion)
Thantos (Swordsdwarf)
Gamedragon (Macedwarf)

Named Dwarfs (dead):
FroggyNinja (Via Were-pig Attack #3)
4maskwolf (Were-pig Attack before my turn started)
Insanegame27 (I have no clue why)
Flame (???)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2015, 01:24:11 pm »

I didn't even know I was dwarfed, much less dead.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2015, 01:51:49 pm »

Neither did I.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2015, 04:41:47 pm »

I didn't even know I was dwarfed, much less dead.
Neither did I.
I was never informed either, which is why I didn't update the OP.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2015, 07:05:14 pm »

I blame Deus Asmoth for the lack of clarity.

Anyways, I was looking at the OP, and noticed a little bit about the characteristics of the tower:
... an OPPRESSION TOWER that would stand as a monument to their success even after their (our) inevitable demise
Which makes me wonder about setting up traps and/or machinery that can operate without any actions by the dwarfs. Next turn I get, I think that I will start tinkering with some ideas. I already have some half formed plans in my head with screw pumps, bridges, gear assemblies, and pressure plates.
What do you guys think about this idea?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13