Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hyperogue - non euclidean rogueliking  (Read 4232 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Hyperogue - non euclidean rogueliking
« on: March 01, 2015, 01:57:56 pm »

I didn't find a dedicated thread so here we go...

Hyperrogue is a rougelike set on an hyperbolic plane. Simple gameplay, punishing difficulty, puzzle-y (you don't really have better weapons, it's all on how you plan your movements). And it's also piss-cheap on Steam. Hell, I'd give away copies of it if brazil's currency hadn't been blocked out alongside the ruble thanks to russians selling cheap games.  :P

Link to the website, they got videos
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperogue - non euclidean rogueliking
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:03:56 pm »

Damn, this game is actually really cool. I grabbed the free version (Identical save for getting updates a little later, so only 13 lands instead of 18, and without leaderboards and the like). I can't say I had high expectations, but this is surprisingly fun. The Land of Mirrors is really weird to control in, though, and I really hate trying to travel through the Land of Eternal Motion.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:42:17 pm »

This looks interesting.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:49:51 pm »

This is an awesome game. I've been playing it since version III and it's on 6.1 now. It's like a coffee break game with endless refills, if that makes any sense.

It's also gotten much better since that one update that made the graphics smooth. And the five new lands (plus future updates ahead) are totally worth the 1 USD. This is a game that literally has Rl'yeh with literally noneuclidean geometry, and we're not talking about a sphere here.

And the hyperbolic plane does really matter. Once you get used to it, you'll see there's really no other way to make the game work gameplay-wise (there's examples on the author's blog, and also the obviously-broken Euclidean mode in v5.5+)
Check out my books at O and H Books

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 08:04:26 pm »

PTW

Looks headachey though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 08:55:07 pm »

I'll literally have a minor headache after playing this for a bit; it can feel pretty disorienting.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:28:48 pm »

Ooooooh
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 10:07:30 pm »

I've played this. It's pretty neat. I'd like to see a fully developed rpg using a grid like this.

I've occasionally seen games with battle grids using Riemannian geometry, but this is the only one I've seen using Lobachevskian.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 08:14:47 am »

Oh wow, this is from the same dude who made Vapors of Insanity, which I remember as being a roguelike with a neat spellcrafting system.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:50 am »

Vapors of Insanity
This explains a lot about Hyperogue :P
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 09:52:41 am »

The headache goes away after enough games. It's my go-to want-to-play no time game.

/promote
Check out my books at O and H Books

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 11:40:19 am »

I  like it and its fun, plus I always try to challenge myself to kill stuff that are hard to kill, no mercy for the sandworms spice must flow.

I've got it on my table too because the control scheme fits very well, but I play it when I have a lot of free time, not just a 10minutes break, because it's incredibly easy to no die if you're a minimum prudent. Difficulty ramps up too slowly and even near 1k kills by choosing certain terrains, looking ahead and remembering the configuration of the terrain (that's the part where the geometry matters), you'll never be in danger.

So yeah a good roguelike for when I'm too tired to play DCSS on my tablet.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 11:40:33 am »

Twenty seconds of trailer video and my head is already throbbing in a slightly nauseating manner. I commend the novelty and wish you all much enjoyment from it. It looks like the Super Hexagon of roguelikes.

Lol, my first thought was like...the dev ate LSD for breakfasts while working on this?  :D

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 05:29:56 pm »

Easy to recommend---ample work has been poured into this project by the developer for quite some time now.   8)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 08:50:06 pm »

I am still to learn how to reach hell. It seems to have a cheat mode but I'm not sure how it works.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: [1] 2