Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SimCity 4 - An oldy but a goody  (Read 3279 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: SimCity 4 - An oldy but a goody
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 05:02:24 pm »

I've come to interrupt this thread's peaceful afterlife with a small announcement for those who might care- I'm running a multiplayer Sim City 4 game in the Play With Your Buddies subforum. It works by using dropbox to sync save files every time they're saved, so we can build a region together and see other people's cities update in roughly real time. Yes, you can play simultaneously as long as you're not actually playing the same city tile. It's got NAM installed as well, and all you need to join is Dropbox and a copy of SC4 with Rush Hour.

That is badass. I might have to find my old CD just to check this out.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:52:33 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 06:02:36 am »

Found an answer on how to create a custom terrain map the way I wanted to.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 11:13:13 am »

Actually, you're far better off using Simcity 4 Terraformer and Simcity 4 Mapper, if you can get them both to run on your computer. Terraformer provides a real time visual representation of SC4 terrain while you edit, as well as a variety of special brushes just for that task, and it can import a picture you've started in Photoshop. Simcity 4 Mapper lets you set up the city tiles, again with visual representation right over the map, and also exports your map as a working SimCity region, which is more accurate than the in-game map-to-image tool.

Unfortunately I've not been able to get Terraformer to run, although I didn't try very hard. I think I need to download some old version of C++ or run it compatibility mode or something. The LEX page for Terraformer 1.0 includes a separate .dll file they say to add to your directory if it won't run, but I was using 1.1 which I think I may have downloaded from somewhere other than the LEX- I honestly can't remember where now. The Mapper tool can be downloaded here which I didn't have trouble running, although I downloaded one map that would not open.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 02:41:08 pm »

I'm having a major problem connecting roads on uneven terrain. I started building on different regions on the default continent with all of the tutorial regions. Is this a problem that can be easily dealt with in some way? Or do you always want to build on flat regions for the express purpose of not having this issue?

It gets really bad to where I can't connect any parts of my city together, the roads just don't want to be placed. Not sure how to handle it aside from flattening the terrain out completely which defeats the purpose of having an uneven region.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 03:17:43 pm »

Besides DRM, any difference between Steam and GOG version? Which one would you get (assuming price is irrelevant)? It's $8 on GOG now, but happy to wait for Steam sales. Everything else equal, I'm leaning towards GOG cos of no DRM.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 03:41:38 pm »

Buy GOG. Easier to mod, which 4 is glorious at.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 04:55:10 pm »

AFAIK it does not really matter. They are both updated to the final patches and both provide easy access to the Plugin directory which is where you just drop yer mods. I would say the DRM free part is handy because this can be a good game to play when you're away from the internet with, say, an old laptop, you could just keep the installer on a USB or something.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 07:21:01 pm »

Thanks for the advise, I've bought one on GOG. Will install all essential mods before playing.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 07:56:13 pm »

The big one you're going to want is NAM. You might think the main feature is the variety of transport options it adds, but their use is optional. What really matters is that it changes the pathfinding model so that sims are much smarter about finding routes to jobs.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 05:57:22 am »

Yep, I've installed NAM and SAM so far. Also did the tutorials. Now kinda lost on where to start, should I plan for entire region or individual city? I'm thinking of starting with agriculture based town on the periphery of the region, high-tech commercial city along the coast, and industrial city somewhere in between.

Pages: 1 [2]