Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I have started a graphical tileset. Take a look!  (Read 4060 times)

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have started a graphical tileset. Take a look!
« on: August 27, 2006, 10:08:00 am »

I saw what Toady had done with the bearded dwarves, the way their beards are a slightly darker color.  After some experimenting, I discovered that you can essentially use a grayscale for all graphics.  I set to work on a basic tileset with the stipulation of not changing any textual characters (i.e., change "c" to a little cat and you've got cats all through your menus).

Not done yet by a long shot, but I made quite a bit of progress:

What do you think?  I'm especially proud of the trees, beds and bones.  The river also looks pretty cool in motion.

The tiles it uses are the 800x600 set, so it'll work in fullscreen or a modified window.

Open the image in MSPaint and save it as a 24-bit BMP into your Dwarf Fortress art folder (backup the original graphics).

dav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have started a graphical tileset. Take a look!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:20:00 pm »

Knowing how incredibly difficult it is to work in tiny resolution - wow.  

I think I'll wait to download until it's more complete and/or readable than the current one.

Parker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 01:39:00 pm »

If you stare at the farthest copper ore (green gem thingy) to the left, the miasma cloud appears to flash.  Crazy!

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 01:46:00 pm »

How well do those water graphics work on all the other objects that use them? It looks like they'd work for fields, and roads might be OK, but fat/tallow is going to be kind of ugly I think. Then again, I guess that makes sense...

Chesspieceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 02:38:00 pm »

This is a great idea!  Can keep the roguelike ASCII set untill there are seperate graphic sets but improve some of the existing characters.  Way to go!

Though I notice some of the modified characters are used in some of the more obscure generated names, maybe the name lists could be changed in that regard.

[ August 27, 2006: Message edited by: Chesspieceface ]

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 05:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chesspieceface:
<STRONG>This is a great idea!  Can keep the roguelike ASCII set untill there are seperate graphic sets but improve some of the existing characters.  Way to go!

Though I notice some of the modified characters are used in some of the more obscure generated names, maybe the name lists could be changed in that regard.

[ August 27, 2006: Message edited by: Chesspieceface ]</STRONG>

Really?  Which ones?  The only problem I know of is the up arrow in menus, which is now a tree.  :p

Chesspieceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 05:23:00 pm »

The one I noticed was the 'lever' symbol.  Its used in some of the names as an accented 'o'.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »

Crap.  Well, I admit I didn't test it that much, mostly went from memory.

I wonder if I should change the dwarves and @ to little people, or just make their faces more detailed...

SkeleTony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://http://home.earthlink.net/~skeptic69/index.html
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 06:29:00 pm »

Very nice work so far. I was just saying at a different forum that I would not try getting heavy into this until tilesets and/or a user-friendly interface was implemented. What you have done here is impressive!
quot;I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know"-James Randi

imsabbel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »

I like it very much.

Now only one thing is missing:
-A default resolution with much more square tiles (the current one is rediculous. Running at 1200x450 window makes it less sucky. I mean, a square room SHOULD look square, too..).
-more tiles. 80x60, 100x80. There is so much empty space on the monitor, and so much time wasted scrolling around.

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 08:26:00 pm »

Well, both of those are properties of the game engine, not the tileset, so...
Widening the field of view has actually been discussed before, but not implemented yet.

Concerning square tiles - you can set a square resolution and it'll automatically scale them nicely. I've been working on a set of 15x15 graphical tiles for use at 1200x360, similar to Sporky's project, but it's a long way from complete.

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 12:18:00 am »

This look promising, but until Toady decides to separate more graphic tiles from eachother, you will just end up changing many things at once when altering most of the graphics. Like how changing the tree graphics will also change the up arrows in menus.

Maybe there could be some sort of text file assigning objects to tiles? For example "animal.cat = tile(5, 23)" and so on? That way, Toady could keep his graphics as simple as he wants while at the same time allowing users to modify anything.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 12:57:00 am »

I'll have to try this out, but you should be able to do this by altering the matgloss files in RAW and extending the art files.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 01:55:00 am »

Oh my. I'm on it as well!

edit: How does it count tiles though, for example what does "tile 234" translate to in the

• [y] format?

[ August 28, 2006: Message edited by: odd2k ]

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 02:41:00 am »

There are currently 256 tiles (16x16). It goes from Tile 0 to Tile 255. There is no xy format.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games
Pages: [1] 2 3