Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I have started a graphical tileset. Take a look!  (Read 4063 times)

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have started a graphical tileset. Take a look!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 02:42:00 am »

Which means it's impossible to add new tiles and have them show up in the game, I take it?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 02:43:00 am »

I should note that, at the moment, you should definitely not try to modify the stuff in these art files that are not single use only. ie. bed and logs. Plants and stone can be changed to different tiles in the matgloss files. Ground tile can't.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 02:48:00 am »

I am not sure. I cannot test from here. You might try adding new rows below it and referencing to those.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2006, 03:05:00 am »

Sadly, it doesn't work at all. Altering the dimensions on the art files even slightly will mess up all the tiles in the game. it seems like the graphics engine is dividing up the art image into 16x16 tiles, no matter what size it is.

Chesspieceface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 11:05:00 am »

The 'chair' icon is used in the waterfall animations, so there are little chairs at the crest. lol

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chesspieceface:
<STRONG>The 'chair' icon is used in the waterfall animations, so there are little chairs at the crest. lol</STRONG>
Whoops!  I've never seen the top of the waterfall, so there goes one other tile.  I'll probably just leave it, though.

And I should mention that you probably wouldn't want to use this with Adventurer mode, either.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 03:34:02 pm »

Hello!

I apologize for bumping this 14 year old thread.

I recently started playing Dwarf Fortress yet again and went looking back through old posts for fun, and discovered this one.

As far as I can tell, it is probably the very first attempt at a graphical tileset for Dwarf Fortress, posted a scant 19 days after the first release of the game!

Back then, we didn't have any way to separate graphics from that basic curses font, so it was just a matter of trying to modify the least-used tiles which would hopefully not affect the text...

I just thought this thread was interesting as a Dwarf Fortress historical oddity.  :)

Since Photobucket mangled the OP, I have rehosted those original three images on imgur for now.

I think the bones turned out the best.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 03:36:13 pm »

Very Retro and interesting, virtually prehistoric. Intriguing ???

Edit - Not sparing any time i immediately loaded this into 47.04 vanilla and uhh... hit a purple screen of blotchyness? Maybe like following the comments the colors are a little off so i might not have loaded. I can definitely see the diamond in the rough though.

Spoiler: "warning, very purple" (click to show/hide)

Could you use a safe or pre-built and tweaked version with a DFFD full upload please? When its all tidied up to the official graphics part of the modding forum would really be the magnum opus to top it off.

Water looks gorgeous though, i would like to see this run with TWBT
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:11:02 pm by FantasticDorf »

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 11:38:03 pm »

I was wondering why someone necroed a thread from 2006 but this is really interesting and a pretty neat piece of df history

I like how it’s become vaporwave dwarf fortress for some reason

Maybe it’s something to do with imgur or photobucket messing with it at some point
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 12:10:02 am »

Simply breathtaking!

The tileset as the OP truly intended!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2020, 09:54:37 am »

Very Retro and interesting, virtually prehistoric. Intriguing ???

Edit - Not sparing any time i immediately loaded this into 47.04 vanilla and uhh... hit a purple screen of blotchyness? Maybe like following the comments the colors are a little off so i might not have loaded. I can definitely see the diamond in the rough though.

Spoiler: "warning, very purple" (click to show/hide)

Could you use a safe or pre-built and tweaked version with a DFFD full upload please? When its all tidied up to the official graphics part of the modding forum would really be the magnum opus to top it off.

Water looks gorgeous though, i would like to see this run with TWBT

That is odd, I downloaded the file and compared it with the curses_800x600 still included in modern DF and it's identical except for the changed tiles.  Checked the color in photoshop and the magenta is 255 red - 0 green - 255 blue on both of them, imgur saved the png losslessly as far as I can tell.  However, the png included with DF is 4 bit, and imgur's is 24 bit.  You can also open it in MSPaint and re-save it as a 24 bit bmp, and use that.

Actually I went ahead and tried the png with vanilla DF (renamed it to curses_800x600 and replaced the existing one in data/art/) and it seems to work fine for me, you can see it in the snow tiles, the log and the stones:

In any case, I didn't intend for anyone to really use it, it's a pretty sophomoric early effort but I thought it was cool.  :)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 11:02:42 am »

Oh i see what happened, produced a seperate .png & .bmp and put them in the same file.

When the game is specified as players on auto-pilot putting int "yadda_yadda_800x600.png" the game will specifically not run if its misspelt rather than using "yadda_yadda_800x600.bmp" which you recommend. This is probably my own error that other people have done aswell.

Things are still a bit pre-disposed to being purple on the tiles, but items like stones seem to maintain color and water is still perfectly blue

Still come out more purple but a lot of the tiles can least be seen. The same image was improved but is a little fuzzy, the w particualrly seems to not be aligned on the chart correctly looking at the text. What are your config.texts like just out of curiousity?

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2020, 02:17:51 pm »

I'm surprised it's still acting weird like that.  In my case I just downloaded the most recent release of DF straight off the website and put the file in there, so whatever the default config is, I suppose.  All I did was change the file being used in init.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2020, 10:47:15 am »

Hmmm. Wouldn't removing all the purple from the tileset work? I had the same problem with some new tilesets and that seemed to be the quickest way to fix it.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2020, 01:50:58 pm »

Hmmm. Wouldn't removing all the purple from the tileset work? I had the same problem with some new tilesets and that seemed to be the quickest way to fix it.

Nope, some of the sprites actually ARE purple or least shades of purple, blanking out the purple background with white (or whatever omits for 'blank' in paint) causes it to badly bleach the tiles in response, answering the question that they are being carried over almost as effectively as graphic tiles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3