Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 221923 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #1020 on: August 28, 2015, 07:14:55 pm »

{Necrotaint is a curse put upon the energy obtained by dark means by the entity that provided the energy. It was my idea initially, and I'm sticking to it. It's safe for the summoner to use, and for anyone else it's, while entirely usable, very hazardous.}
((Yeah, but it doesn't taint other energy just by existing, right?  It's a booby-trap, not a plague.  Or at least, that's how I'd think of it.  I may not even be arguing.  Urgh.  Question:  Would Spark's systems be able to successfully incorporate this energy without Problems, even assuming it makes it there?))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: August 28, 2015, 07:43:36 pm »

{Typed this up as an addition to the former post, but the forums refused to load.}
{Further, technomantic constructs function more like computers than spells, requiring time and knowledge to "hack". As I see it, the construct is pseudosentient as a result of a number of things, ranging from its creation via the artifact process to its creator's existing knowledge of how AIs are made. It's not superhuman by any stretch of the imagination, or even entirely human-level, but it makes a great magic calculator and can manage complex concepts like grammar and tactics.

Net cannot "Curse" the energy he's using, because he isn't a lovecraftian nastything, but he can make it extremely hazardous to attempt a hack.

Combat spells are, by nature, too violent and swift-moving to be easily counterable after they "Go off", but you can usually stop the caster before they get the spell off, or cast back along the trail it left if you survive it.

Using said trail only tells you where the caster is, it's usually not worth the trouble unless you can't see them.

Spark can't shoot lasers. Consider it to have a miniature flamethrower and a plasma cutter, the one only goes a few meters, and the other operates within range of physical contact.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: August 28, 2015, 07:46:54 pm »

{It's a trap, not a plague. A Magic Plague is entirely possible, but not until a lot further along. Technomancy can use most any sort of energy put into it, the question is one of safety and of achieving the desired result. While the level of power was nonstandard, the degree of alteration from intent to result with your Force Push earlier is pretty baseline.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: August 28, 2015, 08:13:39 pm »

{Typed this up as an addition to the former post, but the forums refused to load.}
{Further, technomantic constructs function more like computers than spells, requiring time and knowledge to "hack". As I see it, the construct is pseudosentient as a result of a number of things, ranging from its creation via the artifact process to its creator's existing knowledge of how AIs are made. It's not superhuman by any stretch of the imagination, or even entirely human-level, but it makes a great magic calculator and can manage complex concepts like grammar and tactics.

Net cannot "Curse" the energy he's using, because he isn't a lovecraftian nastything, but he can make it extremely hazardous to attempt a hack.

Combat spells are, by nature, too violent and swift-moving to be easily counterable after they "Go off", but you can usually stop the caster before they get the spell off, or cast back along the trail it left if you survive it.

Using said trail only tells you where the caster is, it's usually not worth the trouble unless you can't see them.

Spark can't shoot lasers. Consider it to have a miniature flamethrower and a plasma cutter, the one only goes a few meters, and the other operates within range of physical contact.}
((Either way, plasma cutter to the face is probably Not A Good Thing.  And Spark is going to do that to the guy's face, as the necro seems to have stopped and given him time to catch up properly.  Even more so if there's no need to engage lockdown measures and drop the battery tap.  (Amp: Yeah, I'm not cursing my power, I think of my protections as more of a magical encryption or antivirus/malware.  Basically, it'd bounce the energy right back the way it came.  Preferably after installing its own layer of booby-trap, but that would not happen with necro because it's already kinda dangerous as is.)))

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: August 29, 2015, 01:39:26 am »

{One, bouncing the spell back is perfectly viable, as long as you aren't the one trying to cast with it. There may be loopholes, but they won't exist once they are brought to my attention. Two, please snip quotes for just the things you are specifically referencing, it's good form. Three, I don't really know how to deal with y'all's situation right now, so here's a battledop.}

And then, the enemy, having walked through two hundred meters of minefield to withering effect, reaches our firing distance. The thirty long guns begin firing, first all at once with the rumble of a broadside, then in ones and twos, an unending series of thunderclaps, underwritten by the constant rattle of small arms.

The three operable howitzers fire again, those splattered with white phosphor having gotten their powder soaked with water. The shells, barely-aimable as they are at that range, land around the group of casters far in the distance, spraying them with shrapnel and knocking them about with the shockwaves of simple high-explosives, the guns that fired them rocking back hard enough to warp their laying machinery from the excess charge.

Muh FG--OOC Thread

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1025 on: August 29, 2015, 05:43:11 am »

*points to the ooc thread*
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: August 29, 2015, 07:46:02 pm »

((So, now that we've gotten this all cleared up, I think I'm supposed to be replying so here I go.))
==This Nullifies Any Prior Reactionposts To These Events==
As the necromancer attempts to shove his own energies into Spark's system, he notices that he can't.  The energy in the construct is an eye-searing knot of magic, probably different from any seen before, and it's complex.  He notices that there is eventually an input, but it's hidden behind layers of security.  And those layers snap back at the intruder, returning his own power without even touching the spell.  If that was undirected magic, well.  That's a Very Bad Thing in any circumstances.
Furthermore, it appears, to the necro's magic sight, to have gotten a bit closer while so doing.
Stopping to cast was probably a bad idea.

==Interrupted By Murdoc==

==The Battlements==
After a swig from the Canteen Of Biorepair, I once again take up a sniping post and start shooting at the mages again.
The Canteen is given to the medics for the battle's duration.
I consider the viability of a hydrokinetic spell to de-wet the powder.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:29:16 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1027 on: August 30, 2015, 03:00:34 pm »

Seeing an obvious hostile non-undead being in the fort distracted by Spark, I do what any dwarf holding a *steel pick*  would do: attempt to insert said pick into the cranial cavity of said hostile.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 30, 2015, 06:55:58 pm »

*he would hear murdoc comming, and try to stop his attack by grabbing the handle of the pick, before trying to kick the dwarf away, before continuing his escapade to the lift.If he succeeded, he would probably damage the muscle in one of his wrists while stopping the blow.*
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 30, 2015, 07:05:32 pm »

I continue shooting.
((
Certainly nobody here has the ability to hack into an AI while doing much of anything else, or with any great alacrity.
))
As Dustan lets his spell falter to deal with Murdoc, Spark, now unencumbered by necrotic counterforces, surges forward at about waist height, aiming for Dustan.  Should he successfully impact and knock Dustan down, Spark will focus on pinning Dustan and try to stab Dustan with his (kind of obviously pointy) tail, aiming for vital bits like the head, eyes, etc.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:28:23 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: August 30, 2015, 07:09:27 pm »

(I am going to continue ignoring that, as you have failed to edit your post, and it is now down to amperzand to narrate what happens. You can't dodge or block everything with your pet.)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: August 30, 2015, 07:16:08 pm »

(I am going to continue ignoring that, as you have failed to edit your post, and it is now down to amperzand to narrate what happens. You can't dodge or block everything with your pet.)
((I'm sorry, doing something that is perfectly okay by Word Of GM (that is, antihacking measures) is somehow not okay with you?  What.  No.  I'm not editing unless you tell me what the heck it is you're still disagreeing with and Amp concurs.  I will even dig up the quote where he said I could spell-reflect if I must.
Also:
==This Nullifies Any Prior Reactionposts To These Events==
referred to the thoroughly obsolete post you were originally objecting at.))
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:18:10 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: August 30, 2015, 08:07:52 pm »

(Thats the thing, when i tried to attack physically during the merc rush, you went "nope, flying." And decided to ignore the fact that using a psudosentient magicomputer as a flamethrower requires it gets up close and personal. Now when i try to overpower you thrrough a magical attack now, and you shrug it off yet again with the excuse of "rofl antimagic defences". Enough is enough.)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 30, 2015, 08:46:12 pm »

(Thats the thing, when i tried to attack physically during the merc rush, you went "nope, flying." And decided to ignore the fact that using a psudosentient magicomputer as a flamethrower requires it gets up close and personal. Now when i try to overpower you thrrough a magical attack now, and you shrug it off yet again with the excuse of "rofl antimagic defences". Enough is enough.)
((*groan* This is why we need Amp.))
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: August 30, 2015, 09:15:54 pm »

I'm also feeling inclined to let Hache pull his thing with the bits of souls, that being a particular skill of his kind, since it sounds interesting.
(nuff said.)
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 262