Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 221906 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2015, 02:36:07 pm »

"Probably, though quartz or similar might actually be better for my purposes, since, unlike diamond, it isn't basically transparent, really hard coal, and therefore can't burn."
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2015, 02:39:55 pm »

"Properly set up difrent colored gemstones could.....see you later I got work to do."
(Blaze runs off to do something)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2015, 05:37:48 pm »

"A'right, see ya."

I continue eating my food, then pull out a notebook and start sketching something.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 12, 2015, 07:34:11 pm »

in blaze's dineing room

"ugggg.....so tired.........so many runes......"

"graaaa!" if I stop now this whole thing could collapse.....just have to push through it, and make sure that the runes don't draw my life force....but is using so much ambient power.....and using a rune to draw power from heat means it wont work well in the cold..."

(blaze continues to work on a network of floating gems)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 13, 2015, 01:16:38 am »

I stare at the design I've just finished drawing out, decide it would almost certainly work perfectly, fold it into the smallest square possible, and stick it in my pocket.

"Dammit, it'd be nice if I couldn't remember how to do that."
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2015, 02:44:32 am »

{Just saying, I don't double-post. Jwoodward is currently taking a turn at Noobfort, so we can expect a little wait.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2015, 06:45:24 am »

((K))

-date unknown-

Things are going well.  Some hunters went down to the caverns and came back with elk bird.

It's a bit gamey for me so I'm just going to have some chicken And fruit, I love fruit.

Anyways......

I'm down in the caverns with the military for some exploration. Looking good.

Lots of gold, iron and flux.....

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2015, 03:58:57 pm »

Blaze is exploring the caverns with some of the military's new blood, I hope they know what they're doing and don't get eaten by a blind ogre the size of a mammoth.

I finally got some of the local mechanics and alchemists up to scratch and improvising, wonder what they'll think of first. Lightbulbs? Phosphorous? Vodka brewing equipment? ...Oh bloodgod, Russian dwarves, the world does not need your kind.

Speaking of phosphorous, signal flares and nasty incendiaries would be damn nice to have, I'll have to see what I can do to help.

One of the mining bosses apparently wants to see me, let's see what h-

"Pitchblende!" "Get the miners out and washing in the surface river! Wall up the shaft with lead! Somebody find some iodine!"
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2015, 05:09:45 pm »

-date unknown-

the military and I heard a commotion in the fort, close to the cavern entrance tunnel.
turns out we struck pitchblend. there was a bit of panic, but I had been aware of the potential for something like this too happen from the beginning.

when I started studying runes I managed to find one that neutralizes nuclear radiation (I also found one that neutralizes electromagnetic waves but that's not very important right now)......thing is I was a bit scared to get close enough to use it....

then I had a clever idea.

short version. I threw a rock with a runes on it.

long version, I threw a rock, marked with a set of runes that activate on sharp impacts designed to neutralize all radiation within.......what I would estimate to be about 400 urist.
(did I mention I also ran around with another rock to neutralize any radiation that might have went with the miners)
.........................it was exhausting....im going to go take a nap now.....uggg.....I should tell ampersand to figure out coca-cola

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2015, 06:17:22 pm »

Blaze apparently figured out a rock that makes air impermeable to radiation of most varieties within about twenty feet of itself. What. ...This should be useful, though it'd screw up a reactor to no end if I was damnfool enough to build one.

{In the name of !!SCIENCE!! I alter the rune's effect for great logic! And also usefulness!}

It's been two days since the pitchblende incident, I have that shaft sealed, and hopefully the magic rocks of safety at the entrance and in rooms too close to the vein will help us avoid any further contamination.

I think it's likely best if we try to institute large-scale abhorrence for nuclear science, actually. There's very little good and a great deal of bad to come from that.

The alchemists, with some help, figured out white phosphor. Well, now we can commit war-crimes at will, and make usefully bright flares. I've got a couple experimental ones in my revolver's gauge, and there's work being done on really damn big ones for the gatehouse howitzer.

The caverns, what little we can see of them from our little gun-studded circle of paving stones and torchlight, are... Notably different than I expected. We should, perhaps, mount another expedition.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 21, 2015, 11:19:18 am »

((I'm fine with the alteration, want me to edit my journal in-line with your explanation?))

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2015, 03:51:56 pm »

{Nah, I doubt your character would know that much about radiation, since this kind of stuff isn't really common knowledge, and my explanation is basically a more scientifically reasonable way of doing it. In effect, that's what your character thinks it does.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2015, 12:56:30 am »

{Y'ello? Blaze? Wolf? Jwoodward? For that matter, why are there only the four-ish of us, out of like ten people who started this?}
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:00:39 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2015, 09:30:51 am »

((I don't even know......its odd.....))

-date unknown-

ohhhhhh a new mood.........lets see what happens!

-date unknown-

AN AMBUSH! good thing I was well equipped. a good hits and the surviving goblins turned tail and ran.  I sniped a few with my daggers to make sure they get the message TO STAY AWAY OR BRING BETTER FIGHTERS!

-date unknown-

the girl got her artifact finished,  ruby ring (no really, the ring itself is made of ruby) called the "clarity of crystal" there seems to be a bit of magic in it, but Im not sure what it does.

speaking of magic, after the pitchblende incident everyone found out about my research into runes.......now I need to figure out more stuff to do....

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2015, 01:56:08 am »

Blaze and a few others encountered a goblin scouting party while patrolling outside the fortress watchtowers' sightlines. Well, at least they're smart enough not to try charging twenty cannon, a bank of heavy artillery, and six three-centimeter autoguns in addition to the entire fortress military and their small arms.

Preparations for the expedition to the caverns are progressing well, and our work with phosphorous is going as nicely as such nasty work can.

Some kid got an "inspiration" and created a solid ruby ring. I'd like to experience one of those myself, the phenomenon seems very odd. Unbelievable levels of skill from nowhere? The existence of gods in this world has yet to be made obvious, though I do not look forward to discovering Adamantine.

{Just saying, this fort is very much at a mid-1700s level of technology by this point, with some odd stuff added in because I know how to do it.

Also, sorry it keeps taking me so long to post, got a lot to do.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 262