Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 222226 times)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #2790 on: February 11, 2016, 11:11:02 pm »

[If you mean Light Emitting Diodes, you'll need some work to get that far. If you meant "Lead", git gud skrublord.]
(i ment lead dangit c:)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: February 11, 2016, 11:21:37 pm »

<<Oh whale. I guess we were mis-lead.>>

<<I'm sorry.>>
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2792 on: February 12, 2016, 02:17:33 am »

"Ya keep talking you'll have no power when the dam breaks. Honestly, does no one listen to me? For the past half a year or more I've been saying you can uses steam engines!!!!"

"Strawberries! Gene engineering! Cave strawberries!"

{See, I'm semi-insane}
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: February 12, 2016, 02:51:29 am »

[Steam engines you don't have, because you haven't finished them. Usefully efficient steam engines are considerably more complex than the- basic, somewhat unreliable -rotary generators used for the dam. If you want to put more work in without stopping to get arrested, you'll likely have functional backup generators in no time, though fuel issues will restrict them to emergency use.]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:41:21 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2794 on: February 12, 2016, 03:46:17 am »

*Gwolfski is acting strangely lately*

Ahhh.... My old room. This place is a mess now.... Everybody moved to the other dormitories.... Still, it is my room... Could sleep in a bed for once. .. Could use some new socks.... Let's see....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

THAT IS NOT A SOCK!!!!! It's so quite!

*Sylvester, Black Cat has adopted Gwolfski, Cavern Engineer*

"I will keep you forever!"

"meow"
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: February 13, 2016, 08:14:00 pm »

*bump*

"What was that?"

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: February 13, 2016, 08:44:43 pm »

[Jeeze, that took me far too long. My apologies.]

The cavern explorers finish their soup and fall into the process of recuperation and rebuilding calorie reserves.

Murdoc seeks the opinions as to supply needs of the fort's administration. The military needs little, as a full quarter of the caravan was requisitioned supplies straight from the Mountainhome's reserves. The civilian population could do with all available food, livestock, and textile goods, which have been brought in bulk, and the researchers will have to be contacted directly.

He also begins the process of recording what he remembers of the science of the Homeland, in collaboration with those of the others who will agree to help. It will be a lengthy process, but work can be done during food breaks and free time without harming productivity. Additionally, a few journals offered by the Homelander gunsmith have provided a reasonable base to work from in some areas.

What of the caravan's offering that isn't simply being purchased at a Mountainhome-subsidized flat rate by the fortress itself will have to be negotiated individually. The smaller vendors have a comparatively good selection of books, crafted items, and rare materials. There is even a self-proclaimed alchemist offering his wares. Some information on local arcane knowledge will likely be available from these vectors, and, if he should seem competent, it might be advantageous to offer the Alchemist a job here.

The dam continues to be built apace, with layered secondary stonework providing the structural integrity to stand against the force of a river. Aside from the main emergency-release gate, whose slot will not be completed for some time, the floodgates have been completed, allowing dry access chambers around the future generator sections to be built. The prototype generator, with some improvised upgrades to its insulation, is being used with a local waterwheel to run a crude arc-lamp, illuminating the worksite beyond normal expectations.

While recovering, Gwolfski finds himself revering his new feline overlord.

The weapons research team makes progress in their work towards simple designs like bolt-action mechanisms and non-blowback self-loaders, though a series of catastrophic failures in testing have left the foremost workers in recovery.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: February 13, 2016, 09:08:45 pm »

Assuring the dam will continue to progress, make a team to create better generators. Attempt to make advances in anything that bars progress, but focus on generators.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #2798 on: February 13, 2016, 09:13:35 pm »

Mony usees te huge power from the generater to make a large bar magnet, h propmtly loses it to the generator

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: February 13, 2016, 09:49:41 pm »

[If you meant an electromagnet, that's pretty simple to do. On the other hand, the generator isn't exactly making huge amounts of power, and it wouldn't be that easy to get access to it for random messing around.]
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: February 13, 2016, 10:29:41 pm »

As it seems the dam is doing well in rout construction, Help work on generators and turbines.
I have worked with them before, and know methods for both making and strengthening magnets for them.

NOTE: as mentioned when I came, I do have a book with lots of math and science I wrote soon after arrival on this planet, but before coming to this fortress. It would contain most forms of math up to fairly advanced calculus, Essentially all of Newtonian physics, light wave/particle duality and optics, air pressure and how it relates to heavier-than-air flight, a good number of electrical equations and laws, and diagrams of electrical circuitry and how things work, Maxwell's equations (the fundamental laws of electricity and magnetism), atomic structures and theories, some nuclear things, basic explanations of nuclear reactions and how both reactors and warheads work, the top few lines of the periodic table to some extent, several chemical equations, bonding theory, some organic chemistry, Biology of much including cells, basic genetics, evolution, basic organ functions, some medicinal things (willow bark, aspen bark, iodine, penicillin from bread mold), and a little basic geology of fault lines and plate tectonics.

Give book to Murdoc
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:32:05 pm by Elagn »
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so" Galileo

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2801 on: February 13, 2016, 10:51:04 pm »

((What did the liason say?))
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: February 13, 2016, 10:54:21 pm »

[@Chaotic:Assuming you basically arrived soon after the beginning of the phenomenon, and spent a large portion of the time since then writing, maybe. I'd tune that back some, since one, that wasn't really an action taken in game-terms, and two, you'd have difficulty getting enough parchment to record that much except in extremely basic terms.]

[@Murdoc: Oh god dammit I knew I forgot something. After dinner, I shall write up a secondary thing.]
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: February 13, 2016, 10:57:43 pm »

Just need to reboot the darn PEA!
Argh...

Maybe a hand-crank generator?  Like they use in emergency radios...

But yes, help with the Big Book Of Everything.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: February 13, 2016, 11:04:01 pm »

[Again, you could set up the charging arrangement pretty easily, your main issue is with voltage, which the prototype generator can provide, if you don't mind it being hilariously unsafe.]
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 262