Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 221588 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 02:21:06 pm »

{Is the OP going to act as GM, or is this just a "Post when you want" style of thing?}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 03:33:47 pm »

{Is the OP going to act as GM, or is this just a "Post when you want" style of thing?}

I think we just post whenever.

5th of Granite

I killed my first animal today. It was just a small one, a bird of some kind, it may have been small but I could sense the evil in it's eyes! I knew then that I had to kill it as nothing must threaten the safety of the fort! Anyway, after I killed it I dragged it back to where we embarked and took a few hours trying to light a small fire to cook it, I failed in the end and the corpse seemed to go rotten. This worries me, if we can't cook food how long can we survive? I think it's time to make some workshops.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 03:57:06 pm »

{A'right.}

6th Granite: Finished the top level today, this should be easy enough to fortify, once I dig out the residential areas below.

7th Granite: Y'know, I just realized our only reliable weapons are a lumber axe and two picks. I am a robotics engineer! I know the chemical formula of black powder! I will not go unarmed!

7.5th Granite: ...I wonder if anyone knows how to cook. I'm hungry.

8th Granite: The stairwell goes down a good twenty meters, but I reached stone! Now to begin work in earnest!

8.5th Granite: Dammit, stone is hard to dig through, we have another pick, I'll go find a helper.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 10:03:14 pm »

{...Guys. Guys, don't let me kill the thread.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 05:16:58 am »

6th Granite
Okay. Okay. You can do this. Everyone else seems to know what they're doing, yeah?

Crap. This is the one time I wish I played DF instead of studying. Although I'm probably going to die anyway. Best bet is a few years. Actually, hang on.

[the rest of the page is covered in various numbers and scribbles. It looks like the author was trying to do fairly advanced calculus.]

Okay. Some quick calculations give me a three and a half years, at best. At worst, I'll be dead by the end of the week.

7th Granite
I promised the others I'd get on to work soon. I mostly kicked flowers around by the river and watched the carp today. I kind of want to build an aquarium.

8th Granite
It's happening. I've grabbed some of the rocks Amperzand dug up. He wanted me to help him dig, but I had better ideas.

I taken the rocks and assembled what should function as a glass furnace. Now here's to hoping we find some coal.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 01:42:13 pm »

[[this wasuseless pls ignore this. this can be removed if it is possiblre]]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:30:03 am by Gwolfski »
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 02:37:03 pm »

{Cleanshaven? HERESY!}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2015, 03:08:34 am »

7th of Granite

Not much happened today apart from it raining. Ya know, I'm finally starting to understand why dwarves always get annoyed when they're not enough chairs. I mean, come on, you walk around all day drinking and watching stuff die and when you try to rest your weary legs you get dirt everywhere! Anyway, we still need a few workshops and since no one else seems to want to do it I might as well when I'm not killing things for The Results of Boredom.

8th of Granite

I got to work today cutting down some trees. I'm glad now that my father taught me a little about how to cut trees down. Anyhow, after I cut down some trees I started to try and put together a carpenter's workshop. It took me a little while but it works, boy am I glad I took a few woodworking lessons, and I churned out three cheap, shoddy beds, I'll get to work on some tables and chairs now, although I should probably dismantle the wagon to get a little extra wood.

9th of Granite

Well, I dismantled the wagon and used that and the remaining wood to build a few tables and chairs. Luckily the miners have hewn out quite a bit of earth by now so I placed them and the beds deep underground. I don't know why, but I feel quite natural under the ground.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 11:00:03 am »

-date unknown-

Well this is odd....I Seem to be in a dwarf fortress world, but a few things are different.

For some reason even though most of the others became dwarfs I became an elf. Good thing Its not makeing me act like one, I don't want to drown in magma, or burn, whatever comes first.

I have been considering what to do with this new found body, I'm much slimmer but im haven't got any shorter, or taller.

As an elf my speed is greatly increased, so I could probably help in combat or do things that require quick feet. My endurance is greater to so I find I can do hard labor a bit easier, though I still prefer thought based work.  However I can somehow name every metal and stone in existence when I see it. It must be something about this world.

Also elves have a great mastery of plants, I have no qualms about killing them, even if I considered them to be sentient it is natures way, we need them to help us survive. But even so, my elven power  should allow me to grow and shape plants easily, therefore I should be able to increase food grown and perhaps get more wood for the furnaces.

I find this all conflicting. I want to put my power to use, but I also have a burning desire to forge, to shape the metals of the earth in the life giving force of fire. And to cool my crafts in the nurturing pool of water.

I don't normally speciallize my dwarfs, especially  not early on, so I too will refrain form specialization. I Found a spare pick, I'm going to mine now, so I can smelt and forge....but...

I'm scared.....I can feal something bubbling up inside me, I wonder....is this what someone feals like BEFORE a strange mood? Will I lose my sanity? I know sanity is overrated but I like to have a bit of it.

-date unknown-

I struck gold today....gold....I can hardly wait to use it.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 12:18:37 am »

8th of Granite.

I am a rational man. I am a rational m-man. I am a rational-al dwarf!!

Arghrehaghghgsah

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 07:35:05 am »

-date unknown-

I found a few rubys and hematite ore, I have set up a crude smelter and begun my work with the ore.

I can feal it...I have a few days at the most before it happens, I'm smelting the gold to.
I recall once that  one of my dwarves grabbed a raw gem and cut it while in a mood so I'm not concerned about needing the gem.

I just hope I don't start screaming for silk.....

There I a river here so I guess someone could get shells but I just don't know about silk.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 12:45:30 pm »

(This is going to slow, everyone contact your forum pals. And the guys from the old thread, already messaged wierd but he is to busy. Honestly I can't stand just doing one post a day.)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 12:48:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 12:58:53 pm »

Journal, date ???

Well, I finally get to do something.  The miners are busy mining out the living areas, and I'm following them around smoothing all of the walls.  Damn this is hard work, it takes me a good part of a day to smooth down about a 6x6 foot area with just a chisel.  But while I'm stuck here, I may as well do some good for my fellows.  It seems many of us from the forums were trapped at the same time, so at least we have some knowledge of the game and grounds for conversation when we have time to talk.  The local wildlife is fairly small and innocuous, mostly keeping its distance from us when we are outside.  My spare time has been spent moving barrels of food and other items inside to prevent them from getting stolen.

If I'm honest with myself, I can't say that I'm entirely sad to be here.  I miss my family, of course, but... here at least I have a chance to start a new life.  Back in the old world I was an invisible person.  Nobody noticed me, nobody knew I was there, unless they wanted my help on homework.  Everytime else I was nonexistant.  Despite all of the dangers of living in this world, dangers I know all too well from my time playing the game... I matter.  I have a purpose, I have something to do to help my fellow dwarves.  I just hope I can live long enough to aid my fellows in the establishment of this fortress.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 01:08:10 pm »

(Interesting note: according to the raws, the very common, non-giant cave spiders are 50x the size of brown recluses)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 262