Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 222278 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #855 on: August 14, 2015, 04:37:36 pm »

Yes, but he has no way of communicating with that you, in-universe.

We've got most of that to one degree or another, and more is getting built. However, there are things which cannot be done without magic, and I suggest you find them.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #856 on: August 14, 2015, 05:32:53 pm »

A gruff-looking miner strides into the central hallway, steel pick in hand and still lightly dusted with stone from prior labors. "Right, so I'm sure there's some sort of gigantic death-project of some variety going on at the moment, and that means you're going to need plenty of materials. What do you all need?" He calls this out as a sort of general question, not really asking anyone in particular as he scans the other dwarves moving through the central hall for someone who looks like they could use his services. His voice seems to contract his outward appearance; though deep, it is quite friendly.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 14, 2015, 06:23:42 pm »

((Actually, he does, he can either call the PEA, or Adventure Mode as IG!Me and deliver the message via a journal entry.  I still want the bloody results.))
Right then, FOF, alert systems, aerial defenses, automatic gate systems (the gate is obviously suspended over the door when not in use)...Workity work work.
Aiming systems.  Intelligent/homing munitions.  Antimagic gear.  Effect munitions.  Esoteric weaponry in general.
==The Main Hall==
A very obvious mage walks up the stairwell, followed by what one would call a snake with wings should one not know the term is a dragonhawk.
"You a player, or normal?"
"Either way, crystals.  Lots of."
"We've got a necromancer to defend against.  And his zombie army."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:30:52 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 14, 2015, 06:48:06 pm »

{Nope. No results for you. Wild Mass Guessing all you like, I'm not telling until I deem it good.}

//disappears

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #859 on: August 14, 2015, 07:07:53 pm »

"Player. Been here for a while, doing my own thing, trying to not get turned into a corpse. Any kind of crystals in particular you need?" While he speaks, he gives the strange creature a curious look. He isn't sure what it is, exactly, though it looks oddly familiar. "What are you doing to those zombies, anyway? Gotta be more complex than your average atom smasher."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 14, 2015, 07:21:00 pm »

"Any, pretty much."
"Yeah, and there aren't atom smashers."
"Maybe if I..."
"Yeah, I could..."
I pull out what appears to be a fully functional tablet and write something down.
--Necro drain/converter.
--TEST CONVERTER.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #861 on: August 14, 2015, 07:51:27 pm »

"Right. Get a message to me if something changes, or if you need something mechanical done." Before heading to the mines, I head in the direction of the armory and try to find some armor, focusing on obtaining a solid helmet, gauntlets, high boots, and breastplate in that order.
GM of Trespassers V2.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:30 pm »

"Right. Get a message to me if something changes, or if you need something mechanical done." Before heading to the mines, I head in the direction of the armory and try to find some armor, focusing on obtaining a solid helmet, gauntlets, high boots, and breastplate in that order.
You get them, as far as I can tell.
Random Miner: "Oh, by the way, while we think it's stopped hating us, don't do anything to unnecessarily tick off the steel winged snake in the caverns should you head there."

Work continues on the defenses, I suppose.
I begin rigging up necro siphons and purifiers, as well as systems allowing counterattacks.
Furthermore, I work on getting some sort of magical walkie-talkies.
Sigtext

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #863 on: August 14, 2015, 11:45:31 pm »

"Oh yeah, that thing. Yeah, my usual policy is to avoid upsetting eldritch horrors from the deep." Without further ado, I descend into the mines in search of crystals. I'm not sure which ones work best, so I focus on rock crystal and clear gems that are mostly pure substances. I spend several hours mining for them, slaking my thirst with my waterskin before collecting a few haulers and bringing the lot back up to the mage's laboratory. I don't get them cut, not knowing what their exact use is.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:34:33 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 15, 2015, 12:52:28 am »

Several crawling eyes would be spotted along the perimeter trying to make their way in and provide information to the necromancer, as well as lay dormant for secondary attacks when the time comes*
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 15, 2015, 06:05:24 am »

Those crawling eyes would be be fried by a sentient flamethrower with an eye for spellwork as soon as they are spotted by the aforementioned.

Preferably with plasma.

One might make it through.  Exactly one. 

I prepare a spell, and attempt vigorous counterespionage.

The kind that results in explosions.  Preferably sizeable explosions.

((Of course this isn't a good time to fight.  No GM.  Grarh.  So this doesn't devolve into explosions, counter-explosions, some sort of mind control crazy shenanigans, the resulting counterstrike, unleashing of the Horrorterrors into the mind of an unsuspecting opponent, counter-unleashing whatever the carp it is you've got, etc. etc., maybe we should drop it.))
((@KingMurdoc: Slaking, not slacking.))
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 07:10:11 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 15, 2015, 08:14:52 am »

*it would be exploded, though the chunks remaining would still be (barely) capable of spying, and be broadcasting an almost undetectable link to a mage closer by.*
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 15, 2015, 08:30:45 am »

*it would be exploded, though the chunks remaining would still be (barely) capable of spying, and be broadcasting an almost undetectable link to a mage closer by.*
((I'm aiming at you, not the zed.))
((Yeah, this is combative.  Grr, where's Amp when you need him.))
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:57:57 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 16, 2015, 07:52:51 am »

(One, you're trying to hit a target roughly a mile off with a spell using only your mind. Assuming you used the most accurate method, which would be to use the existing connection to funnel the spell to the target, you would likely exhaust all your personal energy simply pushing that one spell. Also, since the eye is at the other end of it, you would have to push the spell though it too, thus killing it in a shower of gore. All other methods would have zero chance to hit.)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 16, 2015, 12:14:40 pm »

(One, you're trying to hit a target roughly a mile off with a spell using only your mind. Assuming you used the most accurate method, which would be to use the existing connection to funnel the spell to the target, you would likely exhaust all your personal energy simply pushing that one spell. Also, since the eye is at the other end of it, you would have to push the spell though it too, thus killing it in a shower of gore. All other methods would have zero chance to hit.)
((Ahem.  No.  There are more ways than that.  Like, say, finding the endpoint via a detect magic, then casting the spell so that the effects are already sent to the right coordinates of its own accord, and also A) Significant energy optimizations courtesy magic computer + regular computer + notes from the creation of the aforesaid magic computer/AI, B) Mana capacitors, C) No, spell cost does not scale with distance, should one do it right, D) Any spell that leaks effects like that, is stupid, and I would not cast it, E) Plenty of methods to disconnect the spell from the eye, F) Aforementioned magic computer can bloody well provide extra computational and thus casting capacity as it is also hooked up to my head, G) I don't need to push it along, if it's got a trail to track, I can just cast it and let it go, even if I wasn't doing other things...I really doubt that I can't hit the apparatus that you're using with this.  If that's your brain, well.))
==Section From A Textbook==
"Casting at a distance is not, inherently, harder than any other spell.  It is not the distance that is the problem, it is the fact that most spells rely on relative coordinates, or mental abstractions that involve a projectile traveling from point A to point B.  Both of these are flaws in spellwork for anything but close combat applications, where frankly one does not have the time to set coordinates.  It is much more effective to pick a reference point, and cast in an absolute coordinate system relative to that point.  For instance, depending upon the application, one might choose the gate of a fortress, the engine room of a spaceship, or the core of a planet.  Why, though, do we do this?  Because doing so..."
==Complex Math About Inertial Frames Of Reference, and How Ambient Thaumic Fields Work, Boiling Down To The Result That A Person That Considers Themself To Be A Moving Object Ends Up Retranslating The Spell To The Frame Of Reference That They Consider Themself To Be In, Causing Thaumic And Computational Overhead Despite Not Actually Needing To Do So==
"So as you can see..."
==End Of Excerpt==
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 262