Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 220047 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #885 on: August 19, 2015, 11:54:25 pm »

(No, more like a geothaumic void generator. It would absorb any energy being pushed to the spell, and a little of the spell itself, causing it to "fall short" as it runs out of energy mid travel. It would mean they"d either have to create self sustaining spells akin to those in the undead currently, or pass through the field at a cost of their energy being forced out of them briefly while they pass through the field, delaying them from casting if they try to get inside of it.)
((Oh, Warlock's Wheel/Niven's Wheel?  Eh.  Maybe later.  Certainly not when the fabric of magic is going to threaten to rip from the strain of a mindzap.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 20, 2015, 11:11:06 am »

{I would like to be clear that by "Do not attack" I meant "Don't start shit", not "Don't do anything that could be construed as an attack". If throwing fireballs is the best way to clear scout-zombies, go right ahead, I just don't want to go into combat-mode until after at least all three monthturns.}

{Also, Fish, while I'm not stopping you, I wouldn't recommend using too much of your time on the necrosiphons you have no means of testing outside of a combat scenario.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 20, 2015, 11:26:36 am »

{I would like to be clear that by "Do not attack" I meant "Don't start shit", not "Don't do anything that could be construed as an attack". If throwing fireballs is the best way to clear scout-zombies, go right ahead, I just don't want to go into combat-mode until after at least all three monthturns.}

{Also, Fish, while I'm not stopping you, I wouldn't recommend using too much of your time on the necrosiphons you have no means of testing outside of a combat scenario.}
((I' building more varieties, more methods, more types, more ways.  So that if one doesn't work, another might.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 20, 2015, 12:00:21 pm »

(The main problem with trying to counter necromancy is the magic is tainted by the deity that gave the power, and so the only way to counter "unholy" magic as far as i know is either mashing the offending undead to a pulp, or using a "holy" object/magic to weaken or slay them. It's basically the principle behind ghosts. You give them a grave which could be [in a way] deemed holy, and the ghost is put to rest.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:38:26 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 20, 2015, 12:17:16 pm »

((Or untwisting whatever knots said deity put in, which is somewhat more resource-intensive, but gives you the magic.))
((I always thought of ghosts as souls manifesting of their own accord, in a magical sense.  Because they're annoyed they don't have a coffin.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 20, 2015, 02:46:55 pm »

Usually tainted by the necro themself, but if you're working through a God they'd almost certainly put some additional curses on the power before handing it to you. Even sacrificial magic need not call upon a god directly.

God-curses are far past anyone's current ability to bypass, since they usually rely on their followers and extra-dimensional sources in addition to the Geothaumic Field, leaving them rather better powered than most anybody else.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #891 on: August 20, 2015, 05:11:02 pm »

((Everybody know that im gonna be making steam engines? well now you do))

I've been thinking. While this fort has plenty of technology, there isn't really any machinery. I'm not a masiive engineer, but I understand the basics of steampower and electricity.However, before we can even think of electricity, we nead that steampower. So yeah, Im building a steam engine. Hmm... I need a room with acces to water for that. Must get some miner to dig it out. Not the one that got me in jail, mind.

((have we found magma yeet?))
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 20, 2015, 05:23:47 pm »

{We do not yet have magma. I actually intended to build a steam engine as my GMPC at some point, so you doing it is only to the good. There's plenty of coal and charcoal to tide you over, no worries.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #893 on: August 20, 2015, 05:28:50 pm »

The miner is digging the room. nice. I got talking with one of the smiths about making wheels and cogs and pistons and plates and pipes and Stuff. Hopefully it wont explode when I'm finished. ((we have a river  get over it,.)) I also got him to divert some river from the water. It is all going to be filtered so nobody can get in. I also asked the glass makers to get me some glass portholes and tubes and stuff.I like this.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 20, 2015, 05:53:17 pm »

(Amperzand, necromancy in dwarf fortress Always starts off going though a god, and being passed down via necromancer books which are essentially replicas of the slab made the first time. I would assume that gods would make it nasty to unsnarl their influence in the spell no matter how many copies down the line, but other gods may be happy to meddle with it/protect their followers, and thus provide something that can)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 20, 2015, 06:15:15 pm »

{Makes sense to me, Hache.}

{Gwolf, I hope you don't intend to use glass in high-pressure containment. That will definitely not end well.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 20, 2015, 10:58:56 pm »

*the pages discovered during the undead assault underground would finally be restored and readable, thanks to tireless work from the fortress bookkeeper, and made available to read.*

"To whoever is reading this, forgive me for my flaws, for i had no knowledge of His motives, and soon my body may not be my own. He seeks to use the power he granted me to raise an army, and i do not doubt He is in competition with whatever force is in the East. Gods know i have only been here for.. I think four years, and it is frightening how strong that force feels.

From what i know, he undoubtedly intends to corrupt the land and taint the magic, so as to twist the world in his own morbid favor.  I simply hope that there is a way to stop Him before he attempts to take the East. He would see this world plunged into horrors i would not wish upon even the abominations known as "titans" and "forgotten beasts"."
*the handwriting past this part is too shaky to deciper, and eventually degrades into a eye hurting pattern  that surprisingly, is non magical.*
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 11:25:33 pm by Dustan Hache »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 20, 2015, 11:16:45 pm »

I, apparently, get a shipment of gems.
I work on crafting extra computational capacity.
Sigtext

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #898 on: August 21, 2015, 03:42:36 am »

{REDACTED}
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:03:58 am by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 21, 2015, 03:58:33 am »

{If need be, the cavern entrance can be sealed very thoroughly, and it's got its very own nigh-invulnerable steel monster to defend it with fire and sawblades. Which is not to say further defenses are bad, but hey. Also, giving your enemies trenches to hide in is not usually considered a good idea. A great big flat plain with good lines of sight makes artillerists and support gunners very happy. That said, it's your decision.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 262