Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 222307 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #900 on: August 21, 2015, 04:12:24 am »

Instead of all that stuff that I didn't do, I have large amounts of stone blocks and other materials brought to the fortress gates. I begin construction of a large. mechanical drawbridge with a deep hole (pretty much as deep as I can get it within reason and without digging into the fortress) underneath. By design, the drawbridge lowers itself into the hole rather than raising, as to allow the entrance to be cut off to land assault even if there's some sort of reanimated megabeast standing atop it.

I also work on ensuring the roofs of the four internal marksdwarf towers are well-sealed, and that they are in general proofed against flying assault. I also see if I can catch Amp and talk to him about perhaps making some guns that sacrifice raw firepower for accuracy and range, for use against potential VIPs or giant undead eagles too high for normal assault.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 21, 2015, 04:52:36 am »

Amptext awaiting the miracle of fontitude;

The fortress' lead firearms technician looks up from a table covered in complex metal parts and sketched designs, the group of local mechanics around him continuing their work.

"Well, we've got a few real rifles, and I'm working on a good repeater. You could see if a craftsdorf or one of the mages can make some kind of scope. If you meant a heavy weapon, I could have them put a longer, thicker-walled barrel on one of the artillery platforms, more powder and a lighter shot'll send shells further and faster."

He briefly consults with one of the others.

"For that matter, we could make some rifled swivelguns. 15 or 20 mil out of a bolted-down mount could make a good sniper's tool."
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #902 on: August 21, 2015, 05:15:32 am »

{Gwolf, I hope you don't intend to use glass in high-pressure containment. That will definitely not end well.}

Im not. I judt want to use it for thick 'portholes' in the steam tanks
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 21, 2015, 01:13:56 pm »

I am struck by an idea, and see if I can rig up a barrel and some sort of scope to have a homing shot.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 21, 2015, 01:41:08 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 21, 2015, 01:49:39 pm »

{That's what I meant. Steam boilers use a very high pressure. You could build a window with high-tech ubermaterials, but very definitely not plain old glass.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #906 on: August 21, 2015, 01:59:56 pm »

{That's what I meant. Steam boilers use a very high pressure. You could build a window with high-tech ubermaterials, but very definitely not plain old glass.}
10cm thick glass?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 21, 2015, 02:35:41 pm »

10cm thick glass?
((Why do we need windows to the steam?  Windows to the water tank, however, would be a good idea.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #908 on: August 21, 2015, 02:36:28 pm »

10cm thick glass?

thast what i meant
((Why do we need windows to the steam?  Windows to the water tank, however, would be a good idea.))

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 21, 2015, 02:48:39 pm »

{Sure, putting a thick viewport on a non-pressurized water tank would work fine. The issue is with giving pressurized steam any point of least resistance, boilers usually use homogenous steel of as great a thickness as can reasonably be afforded, likely about two inches in this scenario.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 21, 2015, 11:17:16 pm »

I attempt to craft a perpetual mana system that will use what essentially amounts to thaumic induction.
Which works very similarly to step-up/down transformers.
...Hey, I could do that in reverse to ratchet down enemy spellpower...
Wait, no, maybe?  Uh..
Hmh.
Possible but hard to do with human reaction times((, if my guess is correct)).
Well, that's what I have magic computers for...
Sigtext

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #911 on: August 22, 2015, 04:47:12 am »

Summing up all my actions:

Helped Fish gather materials via a mining expedition.
Dug out a large pit in front of the fortress covered by a drawbridge that lowers into it rather than raising, enlisting various miners and mechanics to assist me in doing so.
Worked with Amp to set up a couple of his rifled swivelguns, and attempted to learn how to reliably hit things with one, if possible in the timeframe/with available resources.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #912 on: August 22, 2015, 04:53:46 am »

Time to start building that steam machinery. The basic designn is a tank of water suspended over a firepit. Therre are better and more efficient designs, but i'll start with this, so i can run machinery to make better ones. The others say we are going to get attacked soon, so I thought of a trap. A steam vent in the floor that is triggered by a pressure plate or lever, boiling the enemies.
Back to machinery, The first thing is a sheet metal rolling machine. Sheet metal is good for roofing, reinforcing and multiple layers can be used for steam tanks. ((what sort of ammo do we use?))

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 22, 2015, 05:41:15 am »

(sum up of my actions:
 create small empire from undead and various races, mainly humans and goblins, and in doing so built up a army to attack the fort.
Attempt to scout out the fort with a small cluster of undead crawling eyes, which were repelled from the inside of the fort by the guard and Biggerfish.
Started construction on a proper necromancer tower, which contains a secret project.
And had the fortress bookeeper restore some journal pages, allowing the others to read into my character a small bit.)
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 22, 2015, 07:41:10 am »

((Actiondump: Built lots of defenses.  Magic drains.  Step up/down thaum transformer.  Uh.  Maybe other thing.))
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 262