Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 220001 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #660 on: July 22, 2015, 11:53:47 am »

"sweet we found it, and its still in its cage."

"yha so...how do you plan on bringing this back to base?"

"i don't, we are bringing the base to it. go help on that wall, im going t try to repair these cracks so it cant bust out later"
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 22, 2015, 01:54:58 pm »

I walk into the caverns, followed by Flare the ruby dragonhawk familiar construct, in "testing stuff gear", which is mostly very thick padding and explosionproofing glyphs.
I then notice the cage.
And the Forgotten Nuisance within (mini-FB).
"Yike."
"That needs repair."
"Also, what base?"
"I think you mean fort."
((By the way, you might want to color not-you differently from you, endlessblaze.))
"Anywho.  Stuff to test, so stay behind me."
I then take aim with the Distance Entropy Denial Ray (not technically a ray) (DEDR) and fire a shot at 10/1 U (distance/radius) on freeze mode.
"It worked.  I can feel the chill from here."
((Amp?  Your decision on just how well it worked.  This is medium-effectiveness size, for reference.))
Flare notices the FN in the cage and flies over inquisitively.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 22, 2015, 02:36:10 pm »

{The one we have is actually a full Forgotten Beast who happens to be very small, Forgotten nuisances are less powerful. You just tried to freeze a monster with blood made of molten steel.

Actual post once I finish waking up.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 22, 2015, 02:49:05 pm »

{The one we have is actually a full Forgotten Beast who happens to be very small, Forgotten nuisances are less powerful. You just tried to freeze a monster with blood made of molten steel.

Actual post once I finish waking up.}
((No, that was just a fire into blank space.))
((Either way, oh.))
((And I think that forgotten beast blood is its own entry.  But yeah.))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:54:35 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 22, 2015, 05:30:17 pm »

{In order, oh alright, heh, and FBs can bleed anything from toxin to contagion to liquid necromancy, I think it's safe to say it can bleed whatever I want it to bleed.}

The Hospital;

"The question here is, what do you eat? We've given you some water from Net's enchanted flask, but there wasn't an obvious way to feed you."

The Caverns;

The Forgotten Beast. A twenty-foot snake-thing composed of steel and covered with what look from a distance like metal feathers, eyes glowing a dull reddish-orange. The rocks near it are coated in solidified metal, and it appears stuck to the ground, a pool of the same metallic stuff trapping it among the rubble-shattered remains of the cage. As you approach, it becomes clear why there's so much of the stuff. A shard of the other Beast's corpse impaled it, crushing the right wing against the torso, partially collapsing the right side of its chest, pinning it to the stone beneath. The solidified metal spattered everywhere, pooled around its body until it can barely move, is the thing's blood.

Closer still, and the "Feathers" become serrated flakes of steel, like millions of roughly oval sawblades anchored to its hide, each individually articulated, moving with malevolent life of their own. Noticing you, the Beast rouses, eyes flaring into an angry forge-white, hissing in anger and pain, a terrible sound like the fusion of a thousand tortured snakes, a house-sized buzzsaw shearing through metal, and a rocket engine firing.

Liquid iron drips between the thing's teeth, three counter-rotating rows of triangular blades accounting for the buzzsaw noise.

A set of gills opens in the sides of the thing's neck as it turns to face you, inhaling loudly, then exhales, its entire head glowing white-hot as a cone of superheated gas obliterates everything in your direction, melting stone, vaporizing plants, splattering metal. Despite the extremely limited range of even such a huge plasma torch, the light and heat of the thing sears your eyebrows into nothing and half-blinds you as you dive for cover, desperately inundating your surroundings with entropic cold from your new invention.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:13:18 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 22, 2015, 08:16:29 pm »

"Yeagh!"
I reflexively slam down the alert button on my PEA, which transmits a signal to the alert beacon I installed in the barracks.  The beacon glows red and blinks a specific pattern indicating the caverns.
I flip down my new Nether Cap visor, pull out my staff, and start channeling a shield, hopefully covering myself and any other survivors.  I then move them and myself to some form of cover.  Not that it really matters with a giant plasma torch going.
((Because EB and the other worker are still down there.))
I then pull out a Nether Cap shield.  The kind Roman legions used to make their turtle formation with, I think.  It's rectangular.
Trusting the absolute temperature of Nether Cap and my testing gear to protect me from the worst, I start approaching the threat range once again.  ((Also, explosionproof means heatproof, because it would be a poor job to protect from kinetic force and still fry the victim.  Just want to actually note that.))
I take note of the flow of magic within the creature, attempting to see how it works.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:59:34 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 22, 2015, 08:33:40 pm »

((the feathers are red))

"well good a time as any I guess"

-blaze engraves a rune on everyone's clothing/armor then engraves a set on the floor. with an burst of magic power the beast slows its movements and calms, and the blood slides back.-

"ok this needs to be quick, the runes wont last long, and I need to save power for fixing the thing, ." get those chai-

"chains are a bad idea, its feathers are saw like, i have some charm spells"

"got it"

"ok, everyone step back, im going to activate the diamonds runes. if this works the diamond should be lifited and fall out, and any pierced organs should gain basic repairs. if I pass out, and I probably will  run in, grab me, pull me out, and close the cage"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:38:04 pm by endlessblaze »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 22, 2015, 08:41:17 pm »

"NO NO THAT IS GETOFFOFME NO."
"WHATTHEBLOODYARMOKAREYOUDOING oh mindzap."
"SAY before you DO you damnfool noob!"
I quickly channel an illusion spell to mask our very existence from the creature, changing the reflected wavelengths from our four bodies and things on them.  I attempt to prep a Peace spell (renders things unable to perform violent actions), if I can do so.

Seeing the incoming burst of VERY STUPID in the form of chaining up something MADE OF STEEL SAWBLADES with ANYTHING, I intercede and stop endlessblaze and Reiron (I assume) before they actually chain the beast.  I instead give them prepared spells to Charm/Peace the beast with.
((As for the wings, it was not stated to the contrary.))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:52:06 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 22, 2015, 08:43:17 pm »

((do you mean it was never stated the wings are not red or that it was never stated they are?))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:49:22 pm by endlessblaze »

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
  • A large firefly fond of technology and art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 22, 2015, 08:45:17 pm »

{In order, oh alright, heh, and FBs can bleed anything from toxin to contagion to liquid necromancy, I think it's safe to say it can bleed whatever I want it to bleed.}

The Hospital;

"The question here is, what do you eat? We've given you some water from Net's enchanted flask, but there wasn't an obvious way to feed you."

"I like honey... And meat... I actually really like steak... Cow meat steaks especially... Is there a way to cook honey into steak? Oh, I'm making myself hungrier."
She is tall and lanky. Her eyes are brown. Her wing case is black. Her wings are translucent. Her abdomen glows bright yellow.
Pyrefly likes bluejay feathers, flowers, videogames, computers, hydras for their seven heads, cats for their aloofness, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, she prefers to consume cow steaks and flavored sparkling water. She absolutely detests wasps.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 22, 2015, 08:53:27 pm »

((do you mean it was never stated the wings are not red or that it was never stated they are?))
((The former.))
((Also, don't mess with other people without SAYING WHAT YOU ARE DOING.))
Sigtext

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 22, 2015, 09:05:39 pm »

((im quite sure a mage such as yourself would recognize a rune for protection against magic effecting the mind))

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 22, 2015, 09:13:50 pm »

{When it gets angry while healthy enough to do so, the entire beast is red-hot.

Also, Blaze, basically your entire post is pointless. Nobody not behind a highly-enhanced nether-cap shield can get close to it without being obliterated with plasma, it takes at least an hour to runebind anything of useful size and potency, not even counting the problem of writing a usefully complex sign on each link of a long steel chain, and this isn't a massive expedition, this is you first finding it.

What you're doing would work if you took a few days to build enhanced chains, set up a squad of dorfs in heat-armor, built a lift over the thing- somehow -to pull the- runebound to allow it to unstick from things -shard out.

Net, most everything you're doing is at least logically sound, though you don't have enough power to force through a Peace spell on what amounts to an eldritch abomination.

[Edit; Also, Blaze, read everything. The cage is destroyed, the only reason this thing's still here is the whole massive-blade thing. Net, just to be clear, the sawblade-feathers aren't actually doing a buzzsaw-thing, they're just kinda moving around, being attached in the same manner feathers are.]}
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:28:02 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 22, 2015, 09:24:35 pm »

((only one link on the chain needs a rune, and we were behind a shield, i put the calming rune on the floor so it stopped trying to burn us.

also some things (engraving the chain, finding the beast) happen off screen to save space)

basically it was this duck behind shield>engrave rune to make beast stop trying to burninate us> bind it in chains i made earlier>extract diamond and heal.

and if i don't have enough power i can just use the ambient magic

also time has NEVER been an issue before.))

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 22, 2015, 09:28:54 pm »

[FURTHER OOC ARGUMENT MOVED TO SPECIFIED THREAD.]
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 262