Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 219579 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #705 on: July 30, 2015, 12:43:09 am »

{It's absurdly hot here today, so my computer- which inexplicably smells like cooked meat -can't actually function for more than five minutes at a time without overheating. That said, the cooling fan is almost shot, and it'll only take me five minutes to write this.}

{Wait, where did the editor go. Like the stuff for color and such. I don't see it.}

*Fiddles around for a solution*

what.

Well, no fonts for today, I guess.

Updop;

[ACTUALLY IN PROGRESS THIS TIME, HOTPUTER IS YELLING AT ME.]
BBCode button, toggle it.  Waitwaitwait this has buttons even IN the BBCode editor so GL with that.
Also, I'll believe it when I see it...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 30, 2015, 01:11:16 am »

HERE'S YOUR UPDOP.

Net and Blaze begin finalizing the ritualized spell of calming, while the three soldiers, by some remarkable luck the only ones in the fortress who can actually read, find good places to activate their scrolls of peace from.

The ritual construct comes into being with an almost anticlimactic abruptness, a phosphorescing, five-dimensional symbol hovering in midair over the center of the circle, absorbing every scrap of energy that can be fed to it. Staring at it for too long would not be advisable, but it holds a strange, incomprehensible beauty. You'll have to get used to this sort of thing, you suppose. Magic works oddly here.

Things begin to go out, first complex machines like the PEA, then lesser devices, the Fanciest Canteen, the occasional emergency light, the dimly glowing runes on Blaze and Wolf's creations, the red alert sign in the barracks above. The ambient energy they rely on, already heavily drained by something out there, is completely exhausted now, weeks away from a recovery even to those minimal levels.

The construct seems to take a life of its own, the odd geometries of the thing attracting the things they always do, but the will of our two mages, barely adequate to the task, holds it roughly on track, keeps it from turning inward, consuming their energies.

At a nod, Amp fires his new gun into the air, the crude black powder cartridges sending a plume of smoke and sparks towards the ceiling, a signal to the soldiers, who read aloud the prime-words on their scrolls, sending twin bolts of precisely modulated energy at the same instant the construct lances the ten meters from its birthing-circle to the maimed Beast.

Backwash flickers around the thing, octarine ghost-flames sparking and lashing from the gaps between scales, and the circle draws more power still, this time from the other beasts in the caverns.

A group of troglodytes, cautiously approaching the disturbance, feel an instant of deep wrongness before falling into seizures as almost all of their vital energy flows away. At the same instant, nearly five hundred other entities, great and small, do the same.

There is a deafening crack as the circle sears itself into the ground, the original chalk heated to the point of softening stone by the power it conducts.

And then, for a fraction of a second, every photon within twenty miles becomes raw energy and feeds the spell.

There is great light, and a great noise, and a great silence.

Living light in a thousand colors, none of them in our spectrum, washes through the edges of things, sparking sights unseen and sounds unheard. Those magically sensitive know something momentous has happened. Those not so much certainly can tell enough to be frightened. And a humanoid insect, with her odd reaction to so minor a spell as a firebolt, nearly falls into madness at an impossible rainbow burning in every corner and junction of the vaulted ceiling.

The cavern is very dark, and our lights have gone out, even those relying on mundane flame.

{Miniedit; HERE'S YOUR FONTS}
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:13:52 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 30, 2015, 01:13:29 am »

{There's seriously no way that I can see to re-enable formatting buttons. It might be this computer though.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 30, 2015, 01:15:57 am »

HERE'S YOUR UPDOP.
-Updop happens-
>OOC!Me: Whoa.  Magic is HAPPENING, people.
((Amp, the PEA is pure tech, with some magic-friendly apps loaded.  Just some clarification.  It's a tablet.  That happens to originate from you-know-where.))
I prod the PEA, and then realize the spell drained even that.  Yikes.
I pull out a hand-crank mana generator and work the handle enough to fuel a cantrip enough to kickstart the PEA and allow whatever method allows it to somehow build and keep a charge for years to work.  Probably involves wormholes.  I then carefully recover Flare. 
I then cautiously poke my head out over the barrier, hoping that the spell worked.  The strong Narrativium concentrations about seem to indicate SOMETHING important happened...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:16:02 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 30, 2015, 02:58:33 am »

{Look, nether cap can either be used as an absurdly effective heat sink, which is ridiculously powerful, I assure you, or to produce a very small amount of differential energy. You can use it to make power, but only in small amounts and over hours. Think of it like an even slower and weaker version of RTGs in Kerbal Space Program, using an energy source orders of magnitude less active. It's useful, yes, but not for situations like this. You'd be better off bringing a hand-shaken generator with a magnet and a coil of copper wire, which you could have made within twenty minutes by the nearest bored engineer, in fiction or reality.}

{Also, yeah it was that computer. Goddammit these things are getting worse by the day.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 30, 2015, 04:13:39 am »

{Look, nether cap can either be used as an absurdly effective heat sink, which is ridiculously powerful, I assure you, or to produce a very small amount of differential energy. You can use it to make power, but only in small amounts and over hours. Think of it like an even slower and weaker version of RTGs in Kerbal Space Program, using an energy source orders of magnitude less active. It's useful, yes, but not for situations like this. You'd be better off bringing a hand-shaken generator with a magnet and a coil of copper wire, which you could have made within twenty minutes by the nearest bored engineer, in fiction or reality.}

{Also, yeah it was that computer. Goddammit these things are getting worse by the day.}
((*prepares Retconbot 34,572.7*))
((But seriously, one would think that the ability to transfer heat quanta from one place to another, and subsequently convert the aforesaid to mana, would in fact, not be affected by which way, but instead by capability of the magus or technique.  Eh, OOC thread if at all.))
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:19:03 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 30, 2015, 12:07:23 pm »

((keep in mind it drained non-magical power as well. so yha. your computer needs recharging))
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 30, 2015, 03:34:19 pm »

{He mentioned that specifically?}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 30, 2015, 04:31:42 pm »

((keep in mind it drained non-magical power as well. so yha. your computer needs recharging))
((As Amp said, that was my first action, to give the battery and its paradoxically 100+% efficient charging mechanism (at least, it lasted years and years and years for Mr Frog, so yeah) a jumpstart.))
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 30, 2015, 05:13:09 pm »

{I would guess that it had some method of self-charging. There are lots of ways to get energy into things, they just usually aren't worth the effort. I mean, self-winding pocketwatches have been around for at least a century, they take power from you walking. I imagine Parasol ubertech could do something far superior. Or it could have a solar panel.}

{At this point, your goals are probably to get a light working, and to figure out what the spell did, because it didn't work precisely as intended.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 30, 2015, 09:44:29 pm »

Also, I pull out a flint and steel and strike a torch.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:55 pm »

{See, now you're thinking. Also, we/I should probably make matches soon, we already have phosphor.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 31, 2015, 01:58:17 pm »

{See, now you're thinking. Also, we/I should probably make matches soon, we already have phosphor.}
((Okay, now what.))
((Status recap, I've lit a torch and am looking at the FB.  By poking my head over the barrier. Very carefully.))
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:01:33 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 31, 2015, 07:44:27 pm »

{I was hoping for another actionpost, but I doubt that's happening yet.}

Updop; Will get fonts when I get my other computer to stop yelling about motherboard overheat issues.

Striking a torch, we cautiously peer over our nice safe pile of rubble. The Beast looks back, apparently having cooled down a bit, literally and figuratively. The thing's expression seems a little  odd, insomuch as you can get an expression from a three-thousand-year-old metal lizard. Too thoughtful, perhaps. It certainly still doesn't like you much, but it doesn't look likely to incinerate you at the earliest chance either, and given how much temperature it seems to have lost, it may not be able to do so.

It hisses venomously, and pulls its uninjured wing around before itself, as if to defend against assault.

{Guys, consider whether runes, or any use of magic for that matter, are a good idea right now before trying them. You'll probably damage yourself if you try, and the mundane solution is usually easier anyway, with this many minions to do it for you.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 31, 2015, 07:53:01 pm »

I cautiously approach, minimizing my 'threat' display, and hope that it doesn't hit me.  I am, to remind you, wearing thick padding because testing gear.
*quietly*
"do we have anything that could bind this sort of wound?  like steel wire or steel wool or a steel plate or something."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:07:33 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 262