Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: XCOM: Long War - Beta 15 Campaign  (Read 54326 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
XCOM: Long War - Beta 15 Campaign
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:01:59 pm »

Beta 15 is out and our old campaign won't be able to be upgraded in a non-buggy fashion, so...new game! My general plan is to try and replicate the soldiers we had from last time as best I can, but you can decide to make changes or go for new options as you wish.

Like last time, we'll be going Classic for this, which should be tough but quite doable. I'm going to be doing Pseudo Ironman, which is to say I'm going to allow myself the option of rolling back to a previous save if I hit a point where I'm playing horribly and really should have quit a while ago. Happens when I get too hungry or tired to think. I'll try not to use it too often and we won't be doing that within a mission, so if I have to back out it'll force me to redo everything as a disincentive to use the option much.

Long War itself is...extensive. So extensive I'm not even going to bother trying to write up all the changes. Pretty much everything has been tweaked, expanded upon, etc. Just...go look at the wiki for it. Suffice to say that the LP is going to be rather different from a normal game of XCOM, even if the core of the game is the same.

As usual, you're welcome to sign up for soldiers, give me recommendations on what to do at a strategic level, and hopefully enjoy watching our troops splatter alien gore across the globe.

You may wish to work together to try and get a cohesive squad put together, but I'll work with whatever you guys give me. Due note that your squad will eventually need an officer, so one of you should plan on taking on that responsibility at some point (and therefore will not be MEC or Psionic). Squads start at 6 troops and can go up to 8.

Spoiler: Signup sheet (click to show/hide)

Long War Links
Soldier Classes
Weapons
Equipment

Base Stats
Credits: §244
Income: §344
Meld: 105
Engineers: 14
Scientists: 17

Hanger
F.O. - "Swordsman" Kruger - Stingrays - 0 Kills - Crazysheep
F.O. "Dasher" Al-Ayesh - 0 Kills - Tiruin

Spoiler: Barracks (click to show/hide)

Memorial

I'm collecting the customization options here so people can more easily decide how they want their people to look. This will probably grow slowly. Note that in Long War there is also the sleeveless version of each armor for the lighter versions. We can also give any class all of the options, so there is even more customization options.

Spoiler: Basic Armor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Carapace Armor (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:38:27 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Long War - Beta 15 Campaign
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 01:06:00 pm »

A few things for the new campaign that we should figure out.

First up: Second Wave options.

Here is what I'm thinking so far:

Training Roulette is also an option I'm happy playing with, although it does limit how much planning you can do for your soldier builds. Let me know if you'd like that one or any of the other options

Commander's Choice is on so that I can give people the classes they want and so that I can remake our soldiers from the previous campaign a good bit easier. Can't change Country or Gender, but we can do everything else the same.

Next, starting Country. Unlike previous games, there are now Country bonuses in addition to overall Continent Bonuses. We only get the continent bonus once we've covered all of the council nations on that continent with satellites.
Here is the wiki page with all 36 possible bonuses
Let me know what you'd like.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:09:02 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 02:16:39 pm »

Token German Reporting for duty.

Spoiler: Birdvig (click to show/hide)

Not sure on Second Wave stuff, but I shall place a vote for our base to be in Europe.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 02:24:38 pm »

You know who Phobos is.

UK - Their Finest Hour
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 02:26:25 pm »

American Sniper Reporting! :P

Rick "Fullshot" Marker
Nationality:USA
Appearance:Caucasian with brown hair(and a random helmet)

Preferred Class:Sniper
Preferred weapon:Sniper Rifle
Preferred Equipment:SCOPE and nades(for emergencies)
Preferred Tactics:Parking in a good spot with plenty overwatch and putting huge holes in heads of aliens]Rick "Fullshot" Marker
Nationality:USA
Appearance:Caucasian with brown hair(and a random helmet)

Preferred Class:Sniper
Preferred weapon:Sniper Rifle
Preferred Equipment:SCOPE and nades(for emergencies)
Preferred Tactics:Parking in a good spot with plenty overwatch and putting huge holes in heads of aliens

I'm not sure about aiming angles, but I support the others. I propose we set down in North America(specifically USA for the godly Special Warfare School)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:37:48 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 02:52:39 pm »

Spoiler: Character! WEE! (click to show/hide)

As for country... knowing our struggle with the air game last time, I suggest Egypt: For the Sake of Glory.
My second pick would be UK: Their Finest Hour.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 02:57:05 pm »

I propose we start in Russia, with the Sukhoi Company's aid.

Since there's a pair of snipers right above me, I'll change my character.

Name: Urist Imiknorris
Nationality: Russian
Appearance: I volunteer for Skittle Squad (is eye-searingly bright cyan an option?). Make me look ridiculous, and give me a helmet.

Preferred class: Engineer
Preferred weapon: Shotguns!
Preferred equipment: Grenades! (the kill-things type, none of that sissy flashbang and smoke grenade crap)
Preferred tactics: Try to stay back and explode aliens until I run out of explode. Then rush in and start shooting.
Upgrade path: Sapper->HEAT Warheads->Will to Survive->Mayhem->Packmaster->Tandem Warheads

And a question that I can't find from the wiki: Which HEAT perk affects the Collateral Damage perk?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:22:20 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 03:12:43 pm »

I'll take my old dude back, except name him Twolio because... yeah.  Equally ugly armor and loved the helmet!  Brazil is nice but not required.  (EDIT:  Also, since he ended up with it anyway, mobility > will > else.)

Why Dynamic War?  Are you tweaking the .ini value on that since it replaced NSLW?

Country?  Too many good options, really.  Probably something that boosts the air game or gives a starting building set.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:23:13 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 03:29:26 pm »

And a question that I can't find from the wiki: Which HEAT perk affects the Collateral Damage perk?

I'm...honestly not sure.

Why Dynamic War?  Are you tweaking the .ini value on that since it replaced NSLW?

Partly I want to try it out, partly because I'm restarting in the middle of a good campaign and a shorter new campaign sounds nice. I could tweak the ini value if people don't want 50%, though.

Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 03:30:41 pm »

A fair answer!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 03:54:54 pm »

I really like Cinematic Mode as your soldiers don't seem so bad at the beginning with it.
I tried Long War with training roulette, because it was one of my favourite Vanilla options, but it was horrible (for me).

Name: Rince "Wizard" Wind (Rina if it is a girl)
Class: Scout
Preferred Loadout: Shotgun, Flashbang, HE Grenade (or a stunner if needed)
Some bright color, bright green is nice, a basecap

Edit: I vote for Asia as the starting continent (and the one to cover in sats first), country...maybe Australia? Though 3 more steam vents sound really useful as well, even if you just use two but have a better chance of them not being far apart.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:03:38 pm by Rince Wind »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 05:03:40 pm »

Could I just have my old character ~rebuilt?

Also PTW.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 05:12:03 pm »

Name: Mister "Harlequin" Crow
Nationality: Any
Appearance: Any

Preferred class: MEC (Pathfinder)
Preferred weapon: MEC weapons
Preferred equipment: Flamethrower as secondary
Preferred tactics: Will always use the flamethrower when possible.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 05:13:53 pm »

Could I just have my old character ~rebuilt?

Of course!
Come play Mafia with us!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 05:18:07 pm »

I like the way you think, Deathsword. Once they're available, I plan to get MECT or get rekt.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16