Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Increasing the number of Dwarf Fortress Gamers  (Read 12575 times)

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
Re: Increasing the number of Dwarf Fortress Gamers
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2015, 05:35:17 am »

Ah MOBAs like Dota or LoL...I wouldn't list MOBA as a strategy genre, even tho it's listed as action RTS. It's a unique genre imo. AoW, Civ, Starcraft...those are strategy games.

Whya re you still here when you posted crap like this?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1563.msg20810#msg20810
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2015, 06:01:29 am »

Wow, that's necrothread ! It's something like...9 years ago !
 People can change and become more mature in 9 years (I hope he did).

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2015, 08:47:41 am »

He really should have been banned. The entire last two pages of the is him acting like a 13 year old and insulting everyone.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:04:15 am by Proudnerd »
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2015, 09:51:47 am »

He really should have been banned. The entire last two pages of the is him acting like a 13 year old and insulting everyone.
Can we really not bring up old grievances?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2015, 04:02:33 pm »

Yeah, you don't post things from 9 years ago like that. I mean, you don't post things from the past in general when things seem to have changed, but 9 years? 9 years ago, I was 11 years old. It's a pretty long friggin time.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2015, 05:17:56 pm »

Thanks to this thread, I wasted the last 2 days nostalgically playing CIV 3 and I still haven't run out of nostalgia juice.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2015, 09:03:13 am »

Yeah, you don't post things from 9 years ago like that. I mean, you don't post things from the past in general when things seem to have changed, but 9 years? 9 years ago, I was 11 years old. It's a pretty long friggin time.

Lol, it's allright, I was 12y old in 2006, [Hehe I still remember, that I was playing WoW like crazy in those days, and raging a lot, like most of the kiddos from WoW.] :D It's funny to read all these old posts of mine. Immaturity @ epic levels! :o :D [*edit*/Note: Necroing 9y old posts like this? Where is the logic? We all have been kids once. ;)]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:13:43 am by gimli »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2015, 01:15:05 pm »

Wow. I've been playing DF for 9 years already. I'm feeling old.

Well, I am old. I was 25 at the time, so it feels like last week.

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2015, 02:16:31 pm »

Having recently started playing dwarf fortress I see nothing wrong with the ASCII graphics and think they give the game character, maybe  upgrade to Unicode characters so that there is less fundamental overlap of tiles but other than that I like the graphics. I know a lot of people who dont though and think the game is poorer for its graphics, but graphics hardly make a game its the mechanics that the Toadu One is always working on that make a great game.

Personally, I found the game through TvTropes article on Boatmurder and thought that was the most incredible story I have ever heard, rivaling null-sec wars in EVE Online. I was brought to this game because dwarfs waged a terrible war against elephants and themselves, that is dwarf fortress greatest strength, its vibrant community. Just reading about other people playing dwarf fortress is fun, seeing how much effort people put into it such as the art, and even creating a working form of the dwarven language.

I'd say just keep doing what the community is doing, the right people will come. because the kind of people who see wonder in ASCII dwarfs killing things are the same kind of people who respect the effort behind this game and will donate. Those who get caught up on graphics are the same kind of people who cant appreciate the mechanics behind world-gen or combat and wont donate.

Besides whats more terrifying a & or a demon?
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2015, 03:34:22 am »

the best way would probably be some kind of high profile youtuber going through the game in a way thats fast paced enough for people to enjoy (getting to combat and sieges and dwarfy projects fairly quickly) and also making sure everything done is pretty well understood. If people understand whats going and on whats going on is some of the best stuff dwarf fortress has to offer i think that would draw a huge amount of players who would be MUCH more willing to learn the game (and have a jumpstart on learning it) than people who havent been exposed to the kind of fun mega projects and battles there are. Of course its hard to find high profile youtubers who play dwarf fortress, its usually only the niche "slow games" youtubers, like quil18.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2015, 04:53:59 pm »

I don't think DF needs mass appeal. It doesn't need to attract a large fan base. Modern games have dumbed down significantly in an effort to broaden their appeal.

Aside from graphics, which I'm really not too fussed about, a couple things hurt my ability to play this game, and I've been playing it for years.

UI consistency. Take lists, for example. Some lists are scrolled with the up and down keys, and you can move from the outer list (left side) to the inner list (right side) using left and right.

Other identically laid out lists require +/- to scroll the left list, and up/down to scroll the right (inner) list, and left/right do nothing. Some times you increase quantities with +/-, sometimes with left/right.

Some times you press 'v' to view an item, sometimes you press Enter. Often you need to press 'v',Enter,'v' to view items in containers.

The key to build blocks in a Carpenters Workshop is 'o', but it's 'b' to build blocks in a Mason's Workshop (or the other way round!).

The 2nd thing is FPS. The game desperately needs to be able to recognise low-FPS situations and take corrective action (somehow). Whether that is enforcing an item cap or improving pathfinding or some other means.

The final thing is in the category of "annoyances". This includes undead hands that are able to swing punches (ie phantom bodies), stockpiles that generate cancel spam when inside burrows, and metal barrels being 100% inferior to metal pots in almost all situations, yet costing 3x more materials and being far heavier.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2015, 07:29:50 am »

I agree with those saying that the UI is the problem rather than the graphics. However, as far as I've seen, it is possible to create custom UI's using DFHack. It would be awesome if someone who knows their way around lua scripting and DFHack UI's could make something that would be easier to use for new players.

I'm sure that would not be an easy task though, considering the huge amount of stuff in the game.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]