Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Items should be able to hold souls  (Read 1233 times)

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Items should be able to hold souls
« on: March 03, 2015, 06:07:25 pm »

When artifacts and semi-artifacts are expanded upon in the near future they should be redone in such a way that they can potentially hold souls in the same way creatures do. This allows for things like artifacts that regenerate their wearer after death, intelligent and perhaps malicious magical items, and artifacts that draw their power from imprisoned demons, djinn, ghosts, gods, etc. This actual application wouldn't necessarily need to be added now, but just making it something that artifacts can do opens a lot of lore possibilities for them and acts as framework for massive expansion.

Ideally this should be expanded to whatever non-artifact items seem reasonable and to body parts whenever those items get redone. I'd love to see a necromancy curse that requires a small dismemberment to activate and keeps the creature's soul in the finger, toe, whatever, so they can't be destroyed until someone uncovers a book describing that body part's location and then burns it. This would allow some magical villains to be persistent threats throughout a world's history, regenerating periodically until some sacred item is smashed. At the same time it opens up the possibility of trapping some terrible villain in an object (which should realistically then be an artifact) and dropping it into the ocean or wearing it to channel their power.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Items should be able to hold souls
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 06:27:33 pm »

This could be good though at this time we have no idea what's gonna happen with magic and artifacts and gods and so on. It's certainly not too different from how ghosts work currently, we already have souls that reside in a certain place until they're appeased.

HARRY POTTER SPOILERS:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:59:45 pm »

It's sort of planned. Toady says the soul system was "created with that in mind":
Rainseeker:   Actually if you want to do some older ones I can grab some more old ones I've asked. Here's one [Kilo24]; 'can souls be applied to inanimate objects and/or as part of artifacts?'
Toady:   So, for the current release - the one that's coming up - there aren't going to be souls beyond what I just added for the creatures. Right now the creatures can hold a number of souls but in practice they only hold one; that was to support possessions and so on in the future. But really all the soul is in the game is, it's got a name, it's got some historical information, the main thing it's got is skills and the personality, and the idea behind that kind of separation was to allow them to be put almost anywhere. They can be floating around in some kind of ghost or they could be stuck in an item, some of the framework's not there for that but they were created with that in mind, so that if you wanted to have some kind of artifact singing sword that hollered things as you walked down the dungeon corridors, and then you could stop and talk to it and ask it if you want to go left or right, and it'd be like 'I'm scared and I want to leave' or something, you could do that, and it wouldn't be that hard to set up, actually. It's in the future, certainly way in the future perhaps, but the framework is building up for that.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:05:30 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 04:19:00 am »

This could be good though at this time we have no idea what's gonna happen with magic and artifacts and gods and so on. It's certainly not too different from how ghosts work currently, we already have souls that reside in a certain place until they're appeased.

HARRY POTTER SPOILERS:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Horcruxes are just lich phylacteries with a different name.

And a good chunk more redundancy, so you have to give him that.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 03:39:11 pm »

It here were a lot of times I would think of something AEWSOME I wish was in DF.

This was one of them, I was thinking

One of the story's my brain conjured up went something like this,

A brother and sister grew up together, and we're the best of friends. One day the sister was killed in battle. In a fit of madness, in whitch the true power all beings possess was unleashed allowing him to preform a great feat.  he took her corpse and butchered it for the bones, and he took a star ruby, her  favorite gem.  From these he forged "soul bridge"  a dwarf bone short sword, calling her soul back to the world and infusing it with her soul.

(Sorry about spelling errors if there are any but I'm in a hury)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:30:28 pm »

Now that begs the question. How many chicken souls can my gabbro scepter hold?

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 10:36:28 pm »

Now that begs the question. How many chicken souls can my gabbro scepter hold?